Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Dual LED flash as the standout feature of this phone? My HTC EVO had that years ago.

Still running the same dual core CPU? True flagship phones have moved on to quad and octa core offering ludicrous speed and power.

A tiny sub-HD screen? When is Apple going to step it up to the big leagues? We have had 720p and now 1080p phones with sizes around 4.5 to 5" and still Apple trots out the smallest flagship phone on the market. They are losing badly in this category.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Since the S4 doesn't appear to be even competing with the 5, I'm sure the 5s has nothing to worry about.

Of course the S4 is a masterpiece of redesign: it's identical to the S3 in appearance. At least it has a bunch of useless features you can disable day one like everyone else is.

That's odd, I thought all phones on the market were competing against each other. That being the case, to imply the iPhone 5 is a better spec phone than the S4 is a pretty stupid coment: but if that's the way your train of thought lies, I'd obviously be better saving my time than explaining why.

As for looks, yes, like all previous iPhones, the galaxy models do look similar; nothing wrong with that though; and it's a phone, how exactly do you propose they make it look much different?

As for features, not a lot more you can do; but at least Samsung have bothered to add features which some people will use; unlike Apple whos OS has remained antiquated and stagnant for some time (excluding iOS 7 which is a blatant coy of both Android and Windows operating systems!)

Yours is a Pretty stupid reply on the whole, next time try and give some decent reasoning behind your insinuations; and how about embracing competition and having the humility to recognise when a competitor does have a better product!

Last edited by a moderator:

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Dual LED flash as the standout feature of this phone? My HTC EVO had that years ago.

Still running the same dual core CPU? True flagship phones have moved on to quad and octa core offering ludicrous speed and power.

A tiny sub-HD screen? When is Apple going to step it up to the big leagues? We have had 720p and now 1080p phones with sizes around 4.5 to 5" and still Apple trots out the smallest flagship phone on the market. They are losing badly in this category.

How are they losing again when they outsell all other phones? Just trying to figure out your logic. Do tell.

Rogue 7

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010

What is the benefit of a quad+ processor? What processor heavy programs are being run on phones? Coding? Video editing? Photography editing? And how long does your battery last?

Android phones have these multi core processors that specs wise are awesome, but performance wise don't match the efficient use of the A-series processors by iOS.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
That's odd, I thought all phones on the market were competing against each other. That being the case, to imply the iPhone 5 is a better spec phone than the S4 is a pretty stupid coment: but if that's the way your train of thought lies, I'd obviously be better saving my time than explaining why.

Your are assuming that the competition in the smartphone market is based largely on technical specifications, and of course you are wrong to assume that. Most people do not care if their phone is 50x more powerful that it needs to be (as evidence by the S4's dwindling sales numbers...which Samsung clearly exaggerated to begin with).

As for looks, yes, like all previous iPhones, the galaxy models do look similar; nothing wrong with that though; and it's a phone, how exactly do you propose they make it look much different?

I agree, but since you are basing your entire opinion of the 5s on a photo of a prototype of the device, then I have to assume that its similar appearance to the 5 is what you're criticizing. After all, we know virtually nothing about what it's features will be.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

As for features, not a lot more you can do; but at least Samsung have bothered to add features which some people will use; unlike Apple whos OS has remained antiquated and stagnant for some time (excluding iOS 7 which is a blatant coy of both Android and Windows operating systems!)

Yours is a Pretty stupid reply on the whole, next time try and give some decent reasoning behind your insinuations; and how about embracing competition and having the humility to recognise when a competitor does have a better product!

Dude troll harder. Throw some sheeples in there. Or Crapple. Oh and use the word fanboi spelled just like that. One more thing (See what I did there?), change your profile picture that picture where the Android is peeing on the Apple. Then you'll be so cool.

theinstructor

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah and you have a laggy animation when sliding from screen to screen even with 8 cores or whatever you fantasize about. Junk. Android. Junk.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
When is Apple going to step it up to the big leagues?

Apple produces an order of magnitude more revenue than all major league baseball teams combined. Why would they want to "step it up" to that little?

When is Apple going to step it up to the big leagues?

When they need to to stay near the top of the customer satisfaction ratings. Apple's current product line is doing that already. Lots of big quad-core bricks are not.

Guubkybhi

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
Apple is dropping the ball

With this lackluster iPhone update and the UI disaster called iOS 7 Apple drops the ball big time. Too bad for them!

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Dude troll harder. Throw some sheeples in there. Or Crapple. Oh and use the word fanboi spelled just like that. One more thing (See what I did there?), change your profile picture that picture where the Android is peeing on the Apple. Then you'll be so cool.

I have an opinion and just because it doesn't agree with yours, doesn't mean I'm a troll. How narrow minded you are ... and thanks, but when I need advice on being cool, I'll ask myself, not you :)

(and as for spelling mistakes, blame Apple, it's an iPad I'm using that can't translate what I type correctly!)

----------

Your are assuming that the competition in the smartphone market is based largely on technical specifications, and of course you are wrong to assume that. Most people do not care if their phone is 50x more powerful that it needs to be (as evidence by the S4's dwindling sales numbers...which Samsung clearly exaggerated to begin with).

I agree, but since you are basing your entire opinion of the 5s on a photo of a prototype of the device, then I have to assume that its similar appearance to the 5 is what you're criticizing. After all, we know virtually nothing about what it's features will be.

Wow, you seem to know a lot, most which is wrong! If smartphone competition isn't based on spec then what exactly is it based on???? S4 dwindling sales ... I think you've been reading the wrong information my friend!

Meanwhile, swapping my iPhone 5 for an S4 (after owing every iteration of the iPhone) was the best move I could have made; I speak from experience, how about you?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Well, still I see no reason what-so-ever for the taller screen as my eyes strain like hell at the 2 INCH WIDTH, but I have a 16gig 4S that is out of room (music) and an old 4, so the 4 might get upgraded to the 5S and the other phones get handed down the chain, finally replacing my original 3GS that my son is still using.

No point harping on what Apple might do in late 2014. That is one hell of a long way off from even a September 5S release.

revixd

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
I find that the self involved morons on this forum are all Samsung users... Not trying to stereotype, just seeing a trend lately. Always trying to find flaws in other people's products so they can feel better about themselves... Pathetic.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I have an opinion and just because it doesn't agree with yours, doesn't mean I'm a troll. How narrow minded you are ... and thanks, but when I need advice on being cool, I'll ask myself, not you :)

(and as for spelling mistakes, blame Apple, it's an iPad I'm using that can't translate what I type correctly!)

You're a troll because you constantly and nonsensically post inflammatory remarks towards forum members about Apple. Samsung this and Samsung that, you're a sheep, if you think Apple has a better product you're blind, etc. It's getting kind of sad.

Muscle

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2010
The only reason why Apple remains competitive in the smartphone market is because of its operating system. The original iphone, 3g, 3gs locked in users to its ecosystem and presently most of us are refusing to switch to android.

Sadly, Apple has lost its competitive edge. Most smartphone makers are pushing more products out at a faster rate with arguably better hardware. Apple is still stuck on its ~1 yr internal upgrade cycle with 1 product in its entire smartphone line.

Remember the days when Apple was praised at having the longest battery life, highest screen resolution, most luxurious casing? What have the competitors do? Improve themselves on everything that Apple has done better in the past. What has Apple done? Close to nothing.

I remain an Apple fan and I am also heavily invested in the company, but they really need to change things up if they want to remain competitive.

Push for more smartphones that target different price points and users
Push for more internal AND external updates faster

Profit

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Yeah and you have a laggy animation when sliding from screen to screen even with 8 cores or whatever you fantasize about. Junk. Android. Junk.

The animations really aren't bad now. And at least the android manufacturers attempt to keep it fresh these days.

This is turning out to be like Mac vs PC, except the iPhone is more like the PC. Slower, less features, used by the majority, and has the greatest compatibility. Androids seem to be for the niche market comprised of people who want something better than average

I was planning on waiting until the next iPhone announcement to decide whether or not I should jump ship... But these leaks are really tempting me to just get an Android phone now.

tarungarg

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
crystal clear image of iPhone 5s camera leaked,shows the camera with Dual LED flash

Techkiddy

iphone+5s+dual+flash.jpg

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
Can someone tell me what the advantage of the new dual flash is?

It is brighter.

My hope is that they are different colors (white and yellow). That would make it so the color of the flash based on the ambient light would make photos look better.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Faster, incresed battery life and maybe finger print sensor. Thats worth the buy i guess.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The only reason why Apple remains competitive in the smartphone market is because of its operating system. The original iphone, 3g, 3gs locked in users to its ecosystem and presently most of us are refusing to switch to android.

Sadly, Apple has lost its competitive edge. Most smartphone makers are pushing more products out at a faster rate with arguably better hardware. Apple is still stuck on its ~1 yr internal upgrade cycle with 1 product in its entire smartphone line.

Remember the days when Apple was praised at having the longest battery life, highest screen resolution, most luxurious casing? What have the competitors do? Improve themselves on everything that Apple has done better in the past. What has Apple done? Close to nothing.

I remain an Apple fan and I am also heavily invested in the company, but they really need to change things up if they want to remain competitive.

Push for more smartphones that target different price points and users
Push for more internal AND external updates faster

Profit

As long as companies keep on trying to make "iphone-killers," you don't have anything to worry about. I agree with you about needing to remain competitive, but what more can they do with a phone, honestly? They can add gimmicks like fingerprint sensors or NFC or utility knives or whatever. But in terms of core functionality, the smartphone industry has seemed to plateau, if not peak.

But one thing I disagree with you about is that many of us refuse to try android because we're locked into the apple ecosystem. While it may be true for a few, there are a lot of people here who've either started with Android and changed to the iphone, or started with iphone, then tried android, and then switched back to iphone because they've found it to be better (myself included).

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
It's just going to be another 4S update which left many people disappointed.

Guess people have to wait another year.

----------

Probably for HDR-nightshots. iOS 7 supports 60 FPS video capture, which allows also 30 FPS HDR-video (10-Bit H.264 encoding necessary, IMHO).

I'm on iOS 7, you can't use HDR with flash on.

And there is no HDR for video recording.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.