Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
There are four ways for the NSA to obtain the information they want about your iCloud activities:
  1. Getting the content or the decryption keys from Apple, lawfully by collaboration, court order, etc.

1. Why would you assume that "collaboration" is lawful? Just because 2 parties agree to do something illegal or unconstitutional through "collaboration" doesn't make it legal.

Domestic spying on citizens that are not suspected of wrongdoing is illegal and unconstitutional. If the government suspects illegal activity, they are required to go to a court and have a judge issue a warrant to allow them to search and/or seize evidence. Of course, they have been revealed to NOT be doing that, basically acknowledging that the Constitution has, for all practical purposes, been dismantled and discarded. And most people seem to be okay with that. <sigh>

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Why would you assume that "collaboration" is lawful? Just because 2 parties agree to do something illegal or unconstitutional through "collaboration" doesn't make it legal.

Domestic spying on citizens that are not suspected of wrongdoing is illegal and unconstitutional. If the government suspects illegal activity, they are required to go to a court and have a judge issue a warrant to allow them to search and/or seize evidence. Of course, they have been revealed to NOT be doing that, basically acknowledging that the Constitution has, for all practical purposes, been dismantled and discarded. And most people seem to be okay with that. <sigh>
If I ask Apple nicely for the data and Apple collaborate nicely by handing it over to me, then I haven't done anything wrong, have I? ;)

Btw, when I say "lawfully", it means "in accordance with the law" (be it ever so draconian), in this case the Patriot Act. No-one in the U.S. Government cares about it being unconstitutional, and neither do the majority of Americans.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
In light of all the computer security news of late and my own ongoing pursuit of securing my computer and Internet habits for my own protection against hackers and identity theft, I've now started encrypting my emails, or rather installed the ability to....

So you use gpg to encrypt your mail, then only someone who also uses gpg and has already exchanged keys with you can read your mail. That is hardly us full. Even with a key server to aid the exchange.

The thing NSA was reading was NOT the content of the emails. They are reading the headers, the routing information, basically the "to" and "from" lines in an effort to find out who is talking to who. Content encryption does nothing to address that problem.

If you encrypt the addresses on the envelopes then NSA would not be able to snoop. But then the mailman would not know how to deliver the mail either.

There ARE solutions to this problem. It is possible to build a system that encrypts the routing headers. That is what is needed.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So you use gpg to encrypt your mail, then only someone who also uses gpg and has already exchanged keys with you can read your mail. That is hardly us full. Even with a key server to aid the exchange.

The thing NSA was reading was NOT the content of the emails. They are reading the headers, the routing information, basically the "to" and "from" lines in an effort to find out who is talking to who. Content encryption does nothing to address that problem.

If you encrypt the addresses on the envelopes then NSA would not be able to snoop. But then the mailman would not know how to deliver the mail either.

There ARE solutions to this problem. It is possible to build a system that encrypts the routing headers. That is what is needed.

I moved your post out of my other thread because as I wrote in the red text of that post, the thread isn't meant to discuss the topic as you have written it. Instead I put your post in the more appropriate thread.

You are correct in that the addresses and subject lines of emails are not encrypted. However, the body of the email will be encrypted and the point of my doing so isn't because I have anything to hide from the government, but I'm doing it as a matter of principle and helping guard my right to privacy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.