Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Anyone disturbed by the Lucida Grande / Helvetica schizophrenia

Finder seems to be playing font-roulette.

Icon view is in Lucida.
List view is in Helvetica.
Sidebar is Lucida.
Window title is Helvetica.

Is this just me?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Lets be honest here, Lion, Mountain Lion & Mavericks are just small incremental updates. OS X clearly has not been a priority hence why each 'new' OS since Snow Leopard has been nothing more than a bunch of improvements & a scattering of new features.

Each individual release from 10.7 - 10.9 is more incremental but they have also sped up the release cycle. It more than evens out.

Take a look at the list of changes from 10.6 (which was the latest OS X in June 2011) to 10.9 (once released in a few months less than 2.5 years will have elapsed) and it's one of the most dramatic shifts in OS X ever seen over that amount of time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_OS_X#Releases
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Lion#New_or_changed_features
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_Mountain_Lion#New_and_changed_features
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_Mavericks#Features

I honestly believe they are busy working on a new operating system that somehow will be a fusion of OS X & iOS and will work across all Apple devices

Yea, because that worked out so well for MS right? :rolleyes: Not to mention Tim Cook has pretty much stated in interviews that this would not be the case.

Last edited:

andreigherghe

macrumors member
May 23, 2011
That's very strange! It doesn't seem to be working here, if a couple of other people in this thread hadn't reported it too I'd assume it was an issue with my setup, but now I'm not so sure. :confused:

I can't summon the dock while in fullscreen either!

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
That's very strange! It doesn't seem to be working here, if a couple of other people in this thread hadn't reported it too I'd assume it was an issue with my setup, but now I'm not so sure. :confused:

I can't summon the dock while in fullscreen either!

Just sheer morbid curiosity at work here... What model Mac are you using? I'm starting to wonder if it isn't like a certain model that's affected. I mean, the software is identical, so theoretically it should act the same, assuming no wildly abnormal setups. The only variation is hardware.

OMCS

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
London
Just sheer morbid curiosity at work here... What model Mac are you using? I'm starting to wonder if it isn't like a certain model that's affected. I mean, the software is identical, so theoretically it should act the same, assuming no wildly abnormal setups. The only variation is hardware.

I'm running a 2013 MacBook Air 13" i7, 8GB, 128GB. That's what I'm thinking, I think I read somewhere that they made changes to the way the dock was rendered in 10.9 so it could be something related to that.

I'd also be interested in seeing if there's a pattern here.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Lets be honest here, Lion, Mountain Lion & Mavericks are just small incremental updates. OS X clearly has not been a priority hence why each 'new' OS since Snow Leopard has been nothing more than a bunch of improvements & a scattering of new features.

Whoah there. A huuuge list of changes go into every major version of OSX. It's just that the bulk of those changes are not immediately user-visible, but changes in APIs, libraries, drivers, etc. Most of the time Apple chooses not to market those changes because most of its audience has no idea what any of them entail. They just care about stuff like 'does the Chess program have new graphics'.

I honestly believe they are busy working on a new operating system that somehow will be a fusion of OS X & iOS and will work across all Apple devices, be it Macs or 'i' devices. I don't even think it will be called OS 11, it will probably be called something entirely different.

Having just one OS to maintain & support just makes sense. I would hope that it will be adaptable and more feature-rich for Macs, but that's for Apple to figure out.

I honestly believe they aren't. At least, not in the way you describe. Apple knows very well that the way people interact with tablets and with full-size PCs is completely different. They looked at just how badly Microsoft messed up when they did exactly what you describe: everyone hates Windows 8's "Modern UI" on PCs, yet loves it on tablets. And the reverse for Win8's "classic ui" (or whatever they call it) on tablets.

While Apple has been steadily bringing iOS features to OSX, they have been doing it in a way that still works for computers. In fact I think the least "compatible", so to speak, way, has been launchpad which to be frank I think is completely useless. And I believe it hasn't gotten much attention since so they must agree on some level.

Also: you forget that iOS and Mac OS X actually do share a whole lot. Under the hood it's the same kernel running on both, and many of the libraries are either identical or very closely related. Where they differ is where they have to, to cater to the difference in devices and how they are used.

BrooklynAl

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Changes

Has anyone noticed no lock in system preferences on both startup disk and time machine? What other differences are people finding?

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I'm running a 2013 MacBook Air 13" i7, 8GB, 128GB. That's what I'm thinking, I think I read somewhere that they made changes to the way the dock was rendered in 10.9 so it could be something related to that.

I'd also be interested in seeing if there's a pattern here.

I'm running a late 2008 MBP. Most of the time it doesn't work, but oddly, every now and then I can get it to show - nothing repeatable.

Sound214

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Sweden
This happened to mine as well, after force quitting a couple of times and rebooting, all was well.

Yes, rebooting actually solved both these problems. I guess I should've tried that, but I'm not used to having to reboot my Mac.

Edit: And it's freaking fast, too. Have anyone else noticed iCloud is WAY faster/better on OS X 10.9 and iOS 7?

EDIT 2: Well, I spoke too quickly. Maps works great, but I can't for the life of me figure out why iCloud Keychain doesn't work. I can see it saves under iCloud tab in Keychain Access.app, but it won't ****ing autofill on my iPhone and iPad.

Last edited:

OMCS

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
London
I'm running a late 2008 MBP. Most of the time it doesn't work, but oddly, every now and then I can get it to show - nothing repeatable.

I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't just a bug Apple have finally fixed. That's a pity if so because I used the dock in fullscreen mode quite a lot (it was always reliable on my machine).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Seriously?

Go read my post again, look up what the "rumors" in "macrumors" means in the dictionary, and try again.

Huh? I think you need to read my initial post again... stressing the Mac part in response to someone asking why iOS betas get first page but OS X Maverics only gets back page. My point was that it was a big odd since the site's name is Mac, not iOS, rumors. Get it now?

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't just a bug Apple have finally fixed. That's a pity if so because I used the dock in fullscreen mode quite a lot (it was always reliable on my machine).

I wonder if it's a bug introduced in this beta? In my case, my dock is on the bottom of the screen and if I run the cursor off the lower left corner of the screen (but just above the corner), drag down to the corner, then drag slowly to the right (still with the cursor as far off the screen as I can get it), the dock will appear. Most of the time. Kinda-sorta.

Essentially, I'm tracing out an L, starting at the upper part of the L, with the cursor pushed out of the viewing area, if that makes any sense;)

Edit: It looks like for me, with the dock on the bottom of the screen, the sensitive area to get it to show is just off the lower left edge of the dock. It seems to be a fairly narrow area.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
Has anyone noticed no lock in system preferences on both startup disk and time machine? What other differences are people finding?

I think that is only for admin accounts. Create a standard account, and I believe the lock will be there.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
huh, good catch, I wonder why. Anyone tested system modification apps such as "Tinker Tool" (assuming it works in 10.9)?

There's supposed to be a new system font in Mavericks, which is virtually identical to Lucida Grande. Perhaps a resource issue might have that font mapping to Helvetica instead of finding the right one?

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Skype 6.5 still doesn't work.

OK, one more time for everyone's sake: This is a developer version of an operating system. Apple releases it so that DEVELOPERS (i.e., Skype) can get their hands on it and update their apps to work with it in time for release.

If you are only interested in "playing" with the new toy be aware that your system is going to be unstable, and that you risk many of your apps not working correctly until either the release of the gold version, or until the application developer releases an update that fixes other issues that also happens to contain code addressing the problems in the new OS.

If you're just playing with the OS your best bet is to create a second partition and load it there.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I think that is only for admin accounts. Create a standard account, and I believe the lock will be there.

Actually, funny you mention. Beta 1 had a lock on "Time Machine" settings, which iirc, wasn't in an previous OS X standard/primary accounts. I noted Beta 2 removed it.

----------

There's supposed to be a new system font in Mavericks, which is virtually identical to Lucida Grande. Perhaps a resource issue might have that font mapping to Helvetica instead of finding the right one?

Really, I thought Helvetica Neue was the standard system font alongside iOS 7. Huh. Learn something new. Thanks for the heads up.

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
WTF?? This totally blows. Can't access my dock in fullscreen apps now :(
Yup same here... that's a shame, hopefully it's just a bug.
I can't do it at all either but in 10.8.4. Is that normal?
You're supposed to be able to access the dock in fullscreen by moving the mouse just beyond the edge of the screen (bottom, left, right) the dock usually sits at. Unfortunately; DP 2 of Mavericks seems to have broken this, it's worked fine for me since Lion until I upgraded last night.

For trackpads, drag the pointer to the bottom of the screen then pull down again and hold with finger, fixed.

Last edited:

Sound214

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Sweden
I'm running DP2 and don't see a way to send a map to my phone. Where should I see this?

Didn't show up for me until I restarted my Mac.
maps.png

OMCS

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
London
Drag down mouse to the bottom of the screen, pull down again then hold, fixed.

It works, thank you!

It's a much more deliberate action than it used to be though, I'm assuming that's by design. Perhaps there's a defaults setting that can be applied to adjust the delay, I'll have to look into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.