Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctakah

macrumors member
May 14, 2012
Latest build of Parallels 8 is working (windows 7, dont know about 8 but I guess its the same issue about virtualization being off), no other version tho...

10.9+Win8 running beautifully inside Fusion VM on 10.8.5 as a host. Just updated DP1 > DP2. All systems normal.

9136886874_44bbdc5b6a_h.jpg

marshy82

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
Is anybody seeing the dock freeze when shutting down? It half disappears and then freezes until it shuts down fully

Apple Mac Tec

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
London
iCloud

DP2 - I'm having serious problems with the iCloud pane in System Preferences continually freezing whilst I try to update my recovery phone number. A white window just hangs and I end up having to force quit Sys Pref each time . . .

Annoying.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
When did I say I wanted a Windows 8 clone with eye candy & plenty of frills? I didn't even mention Microsoft or Windows so I don't understand the point you are making.

Your integrity took a dive with the "Windows 8 sucks" comment. It just shows you can't adapt to change hence why you are more than happy with the pace of OS X is evolving.

Because Windows 8 is a perfect example of what happens when a company wants to do a complete overhaul of their os, so pointing out windows 8 is perfect in your little rant. His integrity is perfectly fine. Windows 8 is ridiculously annoying to use and simply non-functional with a mouse/keyboard. That leaves you with tablets, which currently lack the power and battery life to properly run it. Thereby making it a useless OS that nobody wants. The direction of change is simply premature. Why couldn't they have waited 4 more yrs? What would you have Apple do with osx?

jamz05

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
Upgrade to DP2 from DP1 stuck after restart

I downloaded the DP2 from the DP1 and it rebooted the system and now stuck for about 30 mins at the "Completing Installation" screen telling that "Less than a minute remaining".

What to do?

Thanks

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I downloaded the DP2 from the DP1 and it rebooted the system and now stuck for about 30 mins at the "Completing Installation" screen telling that "Less than a minute remaining".

What to do?

Thanks

Hold the power button until you force shutdown and then restart. Worked for me, haven't noticed any problems yet but I might do a reinstall today just in case.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

What to do?

Thanks

Are you willing to wait it out? When I updated to Mavericks, it took about ten minutes to get the last "less than a minute" done.

Or you could do the thing with the power button that somebody else mentioned.

Djcyder

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008

What to do?

Thanks

just reboot mine did the same thing.., then shortly after that setup assistant will crash, move on.

MacAddict2000

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
Anyone else notice how you can move the Devices category to the top of the Finder sidebar to resemble Snow Leopard? Just drag and drop!

Screen%20Shot%202013-06-25%20at%201.28.24%20PM.png

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Your integrity took a dive with the "Windows 8 sucks" comment. It just shows you can't adapt to change hence why you are more than happy with the pace of OS X is evolving.

Creating an OS which runs on both mobile devices (small screen, touch input) and laptops and desktops (large screens, keyboard and mouse input) is a terrible way to move forward. The user experience is severely compromised in both use cases and it is confusing and hard to develop for.

Windows 8 is the perfect example of why this is not the correct approach and why I hope and pray they don't destroy OS X by cobbling it together with iOS, producing a similar Franken-OS.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Anyone else notice how you can move the Devices category to the top of the Finder sidebar to resemble Snow Leopard? Just drag and drop!

Yep, glad you just told us.

As for Mavericks, I installed it over an existing ML System, plenty of issues here, Spotlight continuously crashes on the first DP, now it won't but nothing happens when I click on the Icon nor does the keyboard shortcut work.
Mail opens but there are no windows, won't show up even when trying to do so from Menu, this is not the only one, EasyFind has the same behaviour and I guess more Apps behave the same.
Safari does not seem to render well, this was on DP 1, did not have issues after update to DP2.
Apple Remote Desktop works but once in a while I get black spots on the display, this goes away by dragging a window over it.
There are probably more but can't think of them now.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Used it on a laptop, the fact that that laptop had no trackpad made it ten times more annoying.

No trackpad so you were just using the keyboard? Your quote said it is unusable with a mouse/keyboard, how would you know if you didn't try it?

I would imagine using ANY OS on a laptop with no trackpad to be annoying. But using windows 8 with a simple start menu replacement app makes it nothing more than an optimized windows 7, which suits me and a majority of other people just fine.

Just because you used it for 5 seconds on an odd piece of hardware (seriously what laptop has no trackpad?) doesn't make the entire OS "unusable with a mouse/keyboard"

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
No trackpad so you were just using the keyboard? Your quote said it is unusable with a mouse/keyboard, how would you know if you didn't try it?

I would imagine using ANY OS on a laptop with no trackpad to be annoying. But using windows 8 with a simple start menu replacement app makes it nothing more than an optimized windows 7, which suits me and a majority of other people just fine.

Just because you used it for 5 seconds on an odd piece of hardware (seriously what laptop has no trackpad?) doesn't make the entire OS "unusable with a mouse/keyboard"
By trackpad i mean one that clicks down no matter where u click it as opposed to two buttons on the bottom. It might suit you to do that but given all the complaints i've been hearing from everywhere I doubt the majority would agree. Also, I love your assumption that I used it for 5 minutes. I guess dissenting opinions simply are not allowed to exist just because you don't agree. I used it for a good 3-4 months before getting my macbook.

Last edited:

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
Let's be honest here, Mac OS X is a very mature system that runs very stable and is full featured. Why do we need more frilly features? Do you need eye candy to make you feel better about your new OS or do you want it work?
Yeah, sure, Windows 8 is all shiny and new with that ridiculous Metro UI, but let's be honest here, it's something frilly and new and Microsoft thinks they reinvented the wheel, even though it's just an AOL clone. At the end of the day W8 just sucks. Pretty doesn't make for better.

I guess you've never taken into account that Apple may do more things under the hood of OS X so the user can have a better computing experience? You may need Frills, I need a working system and Apple puts that out with Mac OS X so I cannot and will not agree with you that they are neglecting OS X. This has been harped on for years now and frankly it's gotten tiring.

I totally agree I rather OS X Mavericks to be like SL, which was very stable than have it be like OS X Lion and have a lot of new features but was never as stable as SL. Just my two cents :)

----------

Does CleanMyMac 2.04 work on Mavericks?

Yes It works with OS X 10.9.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Does CleanMyMac 2.04 work on Mavericks?

Even if it does you should not use this or any similar App, like MacKeeper and CCleaner, they are all rubbish and you should trash them ASAP.
Plenty of reported problems with these 3 Apps, if you have to use one use Onyx, but only when having problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.