Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
I want crystal clear video like this below... I have to use the front facing camera for my iphone 5 cause i shoot myself and have to see how I'm looking etc... so I realize front facing cam is not 1080 but lower... however still close....

However, my footage does not anything close to the video below... their video looks much more crisper and sharper than mine... I do use natural sunlight as well. Is it possible to get this quality of video with iphone 5 cam? Anyone have any idea what kind of camera they are using?

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
With the front facing camera not remotely possible without possible video editing. Even then, editing can only get you so far. The front facing camera is mainly there for FaceTime so quality would need to be low in order to have smooth "talking". Even with the lower quality front facing camera in the 4 and 4S, FaceTime can still stutter. Best results would be using the back camera or using another camera.

dkl

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2012
You can possibly use your iphone REAR camera to do this. Otherwise a good quality webcam will also give you similar results.

Looking at the wide depth of field and the initial auto-focusing, I don't think this was shot with a DSLR.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
With the front facing camera not remotely possible without possible video editing. Even then, editing can only get you so far. The front facing camera is mainly there for FaceTime so quality would need to be low in order to have smooth "talking". Even with the lower quality front facing camera in the 4 and 4S, FaceTime can still stutter. Best results would be using the back camera or using another camera.

Will try with the back camera but I really like the front facing camera since I am recording myself and most of the time will end up looking funny if I use the back camera. The front facing feature is very helpful and a must for me.

You can possibly use your iphone REAR camera to do this. Otherwise a good quality webcam will also give you similar results.

Looking at the wide depth of field and the initial auto-focusing, I don't think this was shot with a DSLR.

Does it auto focus by itself or how is that done? I am recording myself. This is for youtube vids....

jamswirl

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
a lot of it is in the lighting. You can see in their eyes the reflection of a decent soft box that's lighting them. if you can find a decently lit space with diffuse/reflected light and then light yourself in that space, you may find the 'quality' of the footage you take improves. (take that with a grain of salt as i have not seen your footage).

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Are you guys getting videos that crisp and color as vivid as in that vid?

Will look into lighting as well and learn how to light myself properly

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
I'm subscribed to their channel and I'm sure they've said that they use a gopro

Thanks. That's very helpful.

I'm a noob when it comes to video. If the regular iphone cam shoots in 1080 then wouldn't the quality be the same as the GoPro? Is 1080 all that counts or do cam corders have special features that make their picture even more clear? I'd rather not spend more money if I can get the same results with my iphone. I thought that perhaps I was doing something wrong since my recordings didn't turn out great, perhaps didn't focus it enough or too much light etc...

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012

I'm a noob when it comes to video. If the regular iphone cam shoots in 1080 then wouldn't the quality be the same as the GoPro? Is 1080 all that counts or do cam corders have special features that make their picture even more clear? I'd rather not spend more money if I can get the same results with my iphone. I thought that perhaps I was doing something wrong since my recordings didn't turn out great, perhaps didn't focus it enough or too much light etc...

Ok; so i found my answer here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1572993/

Apparently Gopro has higher fps and better to capture wide angle shots. I actually don't care about wide angle shots; just a crisper picture etc...

To be honest; I don't like the colors of this video captured by a GoPro cam below in nature/outdoors either... The colors don't look as bright and vivid as the one I posted above from the Hodgetwins... even though they are using the same brand camera.... so now it's probably because of the softbox lighting I think that gives the first video an advantage? Is that what it is?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

Large DOF (or deep focus, no one says wide DOF) and AF is possible even on a DSLR, my friend.

This whole shallow focus nonsense has been used and abused as quality cameras became cheaper (just as fake tilt-shift effects is starting to become more common than uncommon). But despite what you might believe after having seen videos created the past two-three years - DSLR:s are actually capable of doing more than that...

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

What you're asking is pretty much equivalent to asking why a yellow Lamborghini can go faster than a yellow Fiat Punto, despite both having engines ;)

A common mistake is to use direct lighting with a naked lightbulb. Do you use a strong light source aimed directly at you? Try diffusing the light by simply stretching a thin piece of white cloth over it. Google homemade softbox for ideas.

jamswirl

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
bhphoto is a good place to start, they have budget lighting through to professional. Or you could try eBay. Or simply as suggested put a sheet or paper between you and the light source to diffuse the light. I wouldn't worry too much about the camera quality of the iPhone (use the rear), they have been used to shoot serious films in the last couple of years.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
a lot of it is in the lighting.
^ This. People overlook lighting. It's not just a matter of using bright lighting but controlling every aspect of lighting to make conditions optimal for the sensor (or even film) used in the camera.
I'm a noob when it comes to video.
Then take some classes and/or read up on video and lighting. You're not going ot pick everything up from reading discussion forums.

If the regular iphone cam shoots in 1080 then wouldn't the quality be the same as the GoPro? Is 1080 all that counts
No. Again, you need to educate yourself. Resolution is just resolution. There are many factors that affect image quality. Just as with digital still cams, MP tells you nothing about the entire image quality of a camera. Does HP tell you everything about a car? Does GHz tell you everything about a computer? Does your age tell you everything about a person? One metric isn't going to accurately describe anything.

Even if you know nothing about video, think about it. If 1080 was all that mattered then why wouldn't all 1080 TV shows be shot with the Go Pro?

or do cam corders have special features that make their picture even more clear? I'd rather not spend more money if I can get the same results with my iphone. I thought that perhaps I was doing something wrong since my recordings didn't turn out great, perhaps didn't focus it enough or too much light etc...
Yes and no. Better cameras help but even the best tools won't produce quality images in the hands of the inexperienced. You can certainly Google around and find excellent photos (as an example) taken with iPhone cameras by professionals. You'll also find countless horrible photos taken by amateurs. Again, it's a matter of knowing your equipment and how to produce the best images given the characteristics of the camera.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.