Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
in store, I've shown them official registration letters

Dies anyone know if you need to bring some sort of proof? I asked in the previous thread and I got mixed answers. Most were saying that a student card/ID would be accepted; however, I'm entering university this fall and don't have one yet. Would I have to bring in my acceptance letter and photo ID with my name on it?

For in store purchases, I've shown my registration confirmation letter from UCLA Extension and my state photo i.d. - that was enough.

If you're buying online, you buy through your school (search via zip code etc.) and the school's 'apple store' will come up.

Hoping the rMBPs are released prior to this promotion ending.

As far as what $100 dollars buys in apps, could be a dozen, could be $100 off, etc. Depends on individual uses.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Which is mostly likely one through Barclay or another credit card, and they tend to be ones that don't issue easily. Plus if you miss the full payoff you'll owe 12 months of interest at like 22%. Ouch

Tried to do the 0% when I bought a computer for law school. Despite never being turned down for anything (credit cards, car loan, home loan), I didn't qualify for the card... Because I had already left my job to head to the new town my school was in, and didn't have income. Kind of silly if you ask me.

The government was happy to loan me up to $1500 for a computer though... At 6.8% :/

codyc815

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
Anyone else notice that the student in the ad is wearing a watch? This *had* to be intentional. Seriously - when's the last time you saw a college student wearing a watch?

I'm a 22-yo college student and I wear a watch every day.

Jaredly

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
Dies anyone know if you need to bring some sort of proof? I asked in the previous thread and I got mixed answers. Most were saying that a student card/ID would be accepted; however, I'm entering university this fall and don't have one yet. Would I have to bring in my acceptance letter and photo ID with my name on it?

I have purchased my my computer using the education discount long before i was in college. You have to purchase it through apples online education store. I have never had to put in any information to prove I am a student. However if you are not a student and they catch you doing this the punishment is to pay the difference in price from the education pricing and the regular pricing.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Anyone else notice that the student in the ad is wearing a watch? This *had* to be intentional. Seriously - when's the last time you saw a college student wearing a watch?

A couple days ago.. which was the last time I came across a college student. Your anecdotal evidence is less than airtight. There is nothing significant about the band the student in the ad is wearing.

I'm a 22-yo college student and I wear a watch every day.

+1

musqayan

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2013
I just called about an order I had on June 15th, that I picked up in store, and they are giving me the gift card as well. I did use the educational discount though.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Pretty cool except the fact that other then the air, there are refreshes coming likely.

stephen85

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Just phoned twice to see if i can get it on a June 12th purchase that is being replaced and is waiting to be dispatched .

First lady wouldn't let it fly and advised i could technically send the replacement back for a refund and re-order. The second lady went to the top of the totem pole to ask but i need to wait for an email response from the big cheeses tomorrow morning.

I enforced it was a lot of running around for both parties as i will send it back and re order if i didn't get the gift card.

Hopefully it will pay off !

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
I'm ready to pull the trigger on an MBA but am thinking about waiting until my state's tax free weekend to go along with the back to school promo.

Does anyone know if you can buy online during the tax free weekend and Apple honor the tax exepmtion? The MBA configuration I am wanting is not in the stores so I will have to purchase online.

I wish CA had a tax free weekend!!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Would be much better if it was a $100 Apple Store credit. So you could use it towards an Airport Extreme, iPhone, printer, &c. The app store doesn't even carry Microsoft Office nor many other major commercial software packages. Besides Apples own software it seems just about everything in the app store would have been labeled shareware or freeware a couple years ago.

It would be more useful if this could be used in the iBook Store to spend towards textbooks.

enigma2118

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
Just missed it!

So I just bought a rMBP (education discount) Anyone know if it's possible to still get the gift card?

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012

I do! everyday of the week. I wear an analog watch with a leather band, very classy I might say. Most people around me are in fact wearing a watch. :)

JTgonzo

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
Too band they don't offer the deal to Higher Education Alumni!!!!!
Seriously though, has anyone ever had Apple check to see if you are actually a student, faculty member or parent? Just curious.

I'm HE faculty, but I've never been asked for any verification when ordering through the online education store. So in practice I think the promotion is really available to everyone.

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
Do Apple realise that, in the UK, students don't get their student loans until at least a week after this promotion ends?

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Is it just me, or is it completely ridiculous that apple gives nothing for buying a $600+ Mac mini, but it'll give you $50 for buying a $329 iPad mini?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.