Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Retail Stores will begin offering Square's iPad-based point-of-sale system, Square Stand, on July 9, reports 9to5Mac.

First introduced in May, the Square Stand is a cash register replacement that features both a secure iPad stand and an integrated card reader. It is also able to support additional peripherals like a receipt printer, kitchen printer, cash drawer, and barcode scanners.

squarestand.png
Unfortunately, the Square Stand is only able to function with iPads that use a 30-pin dock connector, making it compatible with the iPad 2 and the third generation iPad.

Apple is expected to begin offering the Square Stand at a number of retail stores on Tuesday, July 9, and it will retail for $299.

Article Link: Apple Stores to Sell Square Stand Point-of-Sale System

caseyh

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Lightning connector comparability

Does anybody have any insight into why they wouldn't support the Lightning connector? Is there a technical reason?

Mr.Dave

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
NJ, USA
Ya I assume a lightning compatible kit will be out soon, otherwise this seems kind of crazy.

Although on the other hand I'm sure businesses like the lower price point of the older models (and won't need the retina/extra power).

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
So what you are saying is that Apple now sells PoS products?

…sorry, it had to be done.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
$10 for the Square Reader adaptor or $300 for this...well, time to drop $300! ;)

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I was at an auto shop the other day and they had custom enclosures for a couple of iPads so customers could locate the right oil and other parts for their car. You would not know it was an iPad apart from the Apple iOS menu at the top of the display.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
EDIT: people on the internet are weird sometimes

Last edited:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Does anybody have any insight into why they wouldn't support the Lightning connector? Is there a technical reason?

I would guess that redesigning costs money, adding a licensed lightning adapter costs money, and the market for the product doesn't need that feature. After all, why would you buy the top-end iPad just to run a sales processing app?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
iPad 2 is already overkill for this, so I say smart thinking on Square's part. Have a nice big screen but really cheap iPad. Of course Lightning connector will come when iPad 3 and 4 price drop significantly.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
iPad 2 is already overkill for this, so I say smart thinking on Square's part. Have a nice big screen but really cheap iPad. Of course Lightning connector will come when iPad 3 and 4 price drop significantly.

I agree that you don't need the latest and greatest iPad for such tasks, making older and cheaper models way more efficient. But, on the other hand, there is no availability for the older iPads, at least in big enough numbers to cover PoS sales. Are they targeting only on 2nd hand iPads ?

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Wow

POS os right. Sooo where does the cash go.. 300 bucks for an ipad stand give me a break it looks great thats about it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.