Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
I would guess that redesigning costs money, adding a licensed lightning adapter costs money, and the market for the product doesn't need that feature. After all, why would you buy the top-end iPad just to run a sales processing app?

You know... buying this product costs money, too.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Yeah, magnetic strips were recently banned because of all the hacking and abuse where I live. The PoS stand is not much use in modern countries :)

As someone who had his credit card illegally replicated and swiped in a state 500 miles away... the use of pin numbers on CC's instead of signatures as they do in Europe is an excellent idea.

Optheduim

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
NYC
These ipad pos systems

Before I spent eight grand on a POS system, I heavily looked into all these new systems for iPad. Much cheaper in the long run.

My biggest turn off was the CLOUD service. I do not want my businesses' information on the net. Plain & Simple.

I'm a big apple fan, but is a 100% no no....

kamuikabucchi

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2013
I believe the reason for the 30 pin connector is to create a market for the ipad 2's and agree with everyone saying a 4 is total overkill, Apple has been using ipad 2's as smart signs in their own stores for years now, why not finally share the goodness.

Magnetic strips need to be an option seeing as some people don't have cards with chips, if the card has a chip most PoS systems require it to be used, but its your own fault if you decide not to go to a bank and upgrade your own security.

" It is also able to support additional peripherals like a receipt printer, kitchen printer, cash drawer, and barcode scanners. "

In my opinion its everything most businesses would need at a cheaper cost, better visual, and easier to use and teach than that of most PoS systems already out there.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
My biggest turn off was the CLOUD service. I do not want my businesses' information on the net. Plain & Simple.

I used to be against cloud services for POS, but in the past few years, I've experienced a few hardware failures with my PC-based restaurant POS system, which resulted in significant downtime from scrambling to buy a new PC or hard drive and restoring the data.

With the Square Stand, you can just buy another iPad or grab a spare from somewhere, and you're up and running again with hardly any downtime at all. However, the Square app lacks a lot of features that expensive POS solutions have, so I'll have to play around and see if there are any deal breakers.

gmpirate

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Southern California
Before I spent eight grand on a POS system, I heavily looked into all these new systems for iPad. Much cheaper in the long run.

I'm a big apple fan, but is a 100% no no....

Perhaps you should research more :) There are iPad systems that can use a Mac Mini as a local server instead of a cloud.

Lavu & Revel are my top choices right now. Lavu is my preference but they do not have a customer database feature yet to support delivery. Revel has it, but I am not as impressed with their feature set.

There are a number of iPad stands out there available for retail environments.

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple Retail Stores will begin offering Square's iPad-based point-of-sale system, Square Stand, on July 9, reports 9to5Mac.

First introduced in May, the Square Stand is a cash register replacement that features both a secure iPad stand and an integrated card reader. It is also able to support additional peripherals like a receipt printer, kitchen printer, cash drawer, and barcode scanners.

Unfortunately, the Square Stand is only able to function with iPads that use a 30-pin dock connector, making it compatible with the iPad 2 and the third generation iPad.

Apple is expected to begin offering the Square Stand at a number of retail stores on Tuesday, July 9, and it will retail for $299.

Article Link: Apple Stores to Sell Square Stand Point-of-Sale System

The title of the article certainly got my attention, because, even though the Square Stand is a third-party product and not necessarily 100% up to Apple's standards, selling it at Apple Stores will get it some more attention, and it will probably give potential purchasers a bit more confidence in the product (and maybe a higher level of support from Apple? At the Genius Bar, perhaps?).

I don't really know how *big* the market is for small-business Point-of-Sale systems (for hopefully obvious reasons, I would rather avoid the PoS abbreviation!), but the market plays into other observations around Apple potentially getting into sales and monetary transactions systems outside the confines of the Apple Store and the Online Store. Peer-to-peer ad hoc wifi networks and a fingerprint sensor on an iDevice (be it a watch or a phone) that is always with the shopper have pretty strong potential for secure transactions.

This little Square Stand might help lead us in that direction. And this new cooperation between Apple and Square might also hint a further cooperation/co-option in the future....

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I believe that for these circumstances Apple recommends that the purchaser also uses a Human Interface Device, or "Human" for short, who is fitted with the "wallet" system. This then allows cash purchases to be accepted

The Square app allows many forms of payment, cash being one of them.

yes, but the stand is what I'm asking. THey are saying upgrade your register, when in fact you would need a separate place to keep the cash so more space and less secure IMO unless you can add a money box add on or something.

IMO This is just a plastic stand w/ a $300 app, paypal can even give you free swipers for cards for the iphone and such so IMO this is way overpriced. Make it $100 w/ stand and it would be a good deal.

JBSiegelMD

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2013
From a Customer's perspective...

I shop at a number of places that use Square to accept credit card payments. I find the small Square readers to be noticeably less reliable in reading magnetic strip cards than are the dedicated PoS terminals with more robust card readers in them.

At one restaurant I frequent, the iPad is left with the reader sometimes unattended at their font desk, not a very secure method at all. So a system like this which is cheap (yes, $300 is dirt cheap) and can secure the iPad as well as providing a higher quality card reader is probably going to do well.

As for the Europe/Non-US Chip-PIN folks, this isn't designed for you. Almost no one in the US has Chip-PIN cards. Until recently, without a great deal of effort, they were almost impossible to obtain here. It's the problem of inventing and then deploying widely a technology that has long-term downsides. The rest of the world, doing more copying rather than inventing, gets to learn from our mistakes (GSM is a prime example of where Europe took a technology we invented and made it much better).

The complete absence of Chip-PIN terminals here means we need to continue to rely on this very insecure system we have until Apple replaces it with something better :D Tim Cook, we're waiting

Chabba

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
yes, but the stand is what I'm asking. THey are saying upgrade your register, when in fact you would need a separate place to keep the cash so more space and less secure IMO unless you can add a money box add on or something.

IMO This is just a plastic stand w/ a $300 app, paypal can even give you free swipers for cards for the iphone and such so IMO this is way overpriced. Make it $100 w/ stand and it would be a good deal.

https://squareup.com/stand
It's compatible with cash drawers. My friend has her drawer bolted up, under the counter.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
To be clear; you're saying the $8,000 POS system is cheaper in the long run? Why is that?

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I believe that should up to consumer.

So you think consumers should be able to call these guys up and tell them what to sell, regardless of how little business sense it makes for them? And, in case you missed it, this is not a consumer product. It's not marketed to technology addicts who want the latest model of iPad, its for business owners who could seriously not give a damn whether it has a Retina screen or not.

You know... buying this product costs money, too.

Really haven't a clue what your point is, and I suspect vice versa.

jasomill

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
To be clear; you're saying the $8,000 POS system is cheaper in the long run? Why is that?

Not sure what the OP was thinking, but as I understand it, all-in-one systems like Square don't support third-party credit card processing services, so you're forever at the mercy of the system vendor's fee schedule. For a store with considerable credit card sales volume, the difference between Square and cheaper processing options could easily exceed $8,000.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
As someone who had his credit card illegally replicated and swiped in a state 500 miles away... the use of pin numbers on CC's instead of signatures as they do in Europe is an excellent idea.

Canada does PIN numbers too, but when I bring my card across the border I just need to swipe. They would need to introduce pins worldwide and not allow just a swipe and signature to combat is.

Of course none of this combats online illegal usages......

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Connector limited? So just put out a version with the Lightning connector. This is not exactly rocket science with this level of electrical engineering and software....building to a spec.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

This is one of the reasons why I wish these stands and software would support a dual iPad system. That way you can have the cashier view and a cx view where they can see what is being put in, type their pin, enter email for a receipt or whatever. Without the need for twisting things back and forth.

----------

I believe the reason for the 30 pin connector is to create a market for the ipad 2's and agree with everyone saying a 4 is total overkill, Apple has been using ipad 2's as smart signs in their own stores for years now, why not finally share the goodness.

But the way that Apple does it they could switch any time and when minimal effort. It would just be a change in a cable.

Would this be as easy or would it require a whole new stand.

----------

The title of the article certainly got my attention, because, even though the Square Stand is a third-party product and not necessarily 100% up to Apple's standards,

If it wasn't then it wouldn't be sold in their stores or on their site

(and maybe a higher level of support from Apple? At the Genius Bar, perhaps?).

Genius Bar is for Apple products only. Folks needing support with other products have to go to the manufacturer or handle it as a consumer law issue in countries with those rules but that really just comes down to having an extended return/exchange policy.

Verbatim Cookie

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Paging grammar nazis...

Really haven't a clue what your point is, and I suspect vice versa.
Isn't the vice versa of the statement I really haven't a clue what your point is the statement Your point of view really hasn't a clue what I am?

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Isn't the vice versa of the statement I really haven't a clue what your point is the statement Your point of view really hasn't a clue what I am?

Well I'm not sure, since my areas of expertise are the spelling of ridiculous, and the construction of the phrase couldn't care less.

Nevertheless I'm fairly sure vice versa isn't strictly limited to the transposition of subject and object, and is therefore prone to ambiguity. I'm absolutely sure though, that vice versa is an adverb and so your phrase the vice versa of a is b makes as much grammatical sense as the quickly of slow is fast.

:p

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
i wish i had not sold my ipad 3. can it work with a 30 pin to lightning connector?
i hope they soon bring out another which works with the ipad 4.

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
it's strange to see that they decided to go with the old 30 pin port than the new lightning port.

philryan

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
... The rest of the world, doing more copying rather than inventing, gets to learn from our mistakes (GSM is a prime example of where Europe took a technology we invented and made it much better).

GSM was created in Europe, based most closely on the Nordic Mobile Telephony 450 MHz (launched to the public in 1981 and still operating in some countries). And NTT of Japan launched a mobile phone technology in 1979.

Hell, the Germans used radio-based telephones in WW2.

The first US mobile phone network didn't start up until 1983.

Take your blinkers off. Not everything is invented in the US of A.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.