Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m56335

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2005
Good news...Apple maps the pits...

Apple maps: wonderful UI, terrible data still. Very hard to trust.

For instance, Apple hasn't updated added the final completed piece of a major freeway bypass south of Nashville, TN, which was completed last NOVEMBER. Every other mapping service incorporates this into maps and has for months. The bypass saves nearly an hour for travelers moving SE around Nashville. Similarly, our family trips to the beach incorporate a toll road that saves 30 minutes on the trip (the toll road has been there for 15 years). Again, every service, except Apple, incorporates the road into routing. I've pointed out both flaws via the app on multiple occasions to no avail.

Either Apple is overwhelmed with updates, complacent (accomplished strategic goal by having Google launch native maps app), or simply incompetent. Frankly, I get frustrated that Apple rolls out update after update on features like 3D flyover, yet can't update major roads/freeways in larger metro areas and tourist areas.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
It's now not quite the same on Android anymore either. A buddy of mine was irate this morning after they rolled out a new version of maps for Android and the offline support is no longer an official feature at the moment. Now, you have to know the secret Easter egg the developers left in to access that feature - you have to type some special key phrase in the search field to do it.

Google created an Easter egg: just type or speak "OK Maps" in the search box to cache what's currently in the map view.

Secrets out on every other tech site and Google's Map Help Page.

Apparently they didn't double down on secrecy.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Can anyone tell me why the google maps app for ios has mediocre reviews on the app store? Seriously, I'm curious.

I didn't leave a review, but we often have the problem where we put in an itinerary, do something different in another app, and then when we come back to Google Maps, the itinerary is no longer there — you have to start over. Which isn't a problem if you know the address of both places or it's quick to type in, but it can be a pain if you're out and about. The old built-in Maps app didn't have this issue and was a little more intuitive, IMO.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Will it be smooth or still choppy and laggy? Also will it give me accurate directions and not take me 8 miles out of the way because it tells me to take a left turn that isn't allowed?

Polarian Method

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
Roswell, GA
app.

Early today, Google announced that the revamped mobile map experience is now rolling out to Android smartphones, with the iOS updates "coming soon".

And... I couldn't care less unless they fix the ri-g*dd**n-diculous dimming issue which has been there for months. Is it really that hard to fix something that, besides being a ludicrous user interface shortcoming, is a nearly unforgivable safety issue?

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Hope they add integration with Address Book. It is so annoying to have to type addresses that are in my Address Book when I want to drive there.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
You don't want to be tracked by Google but being tracked by Apple is okay for you...?

It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things which corporation is tracking you, because the NSA is going to track you anyway.

Are you on a terrorism watch list or something?

----------

Can anyone tell me why the google maps app for ios has mediocre reviews on the app store? Seriously, I'm curious.

Most apps do. The bad reviews are probably from people annoyed by the serious lag, issues with the automated voice, and the dimming issue people are mentioning here (which I haven't seen happen to me).

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Anyway, this looks more less MAPS and more search/maps/you might like based on preferences and just more battery consumption (AND 3G usage).

Whatever. Some of us think these features are awsome. If everyone thought this way we probably would be stuck with 1 dimension maps with no traffic, points of interest, 3d, and satellite views.

Apple maps still suck

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
You don't want to be tracked by Google but being tracked by Apple is okay for you...?

It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things which corporation is tracking you, because the NSA is going to track you anyway.

What part of "Google is 100% an advertising company set up to sell data about it's users and Apple isn't" don't you understand?

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
Incorporating Zagat is an "interesting decision" that "leaves one wondering". Critics say the decision "smacks of a 1995 mentality", while boosters love Zagat's "endless tips for cassette tape shopping" and "ease of use" for people who have "never seen the internet before". N.B. The prime rib at Steak & Ale is "to die for"

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Stopped caring about Google Maps on iPad as soon as Apple's 3D flyover data hit my metro area. Makes Street View look clunky and outdated.

Also enjoy not being pestered to sign in and use Google+ for some reason.

----------

What are you possibly doing that you need to hide yourself from google/nsa?

Unless you answered plotting to kill people or selling tons and tons of drugs you should be fine.

Are the people here really THIS naive about the importance of privacy in a democracy? :eek: You can't have one without the other!

I guess that's the Facebook generation for you. Scary!

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Hopefully we can have access to our on-device contacts in the app now.

If it would play nicer with Chrome on a jailbreak to be set as the default that would be good too.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Google created an Easter egg: just type or speak "OK Maps" in the search box to cache what's currently in the map view.

Secrets out on every other tech site and Google's Map Help Page.

Apparently they didn't double down on secrecy.

While I fully grasp your sarcasm with the "double down on secrecy" I personally like Google because of their transparency. We're just so used to (in the USA anyway) things being hidden from the public eye *cough* PRISM *cough* that we are naturally suspicious of the worst - mainly because we're validated down the line.

I take Google at face value for what they say they do versus what they don't. Did Google say NO OFFLINE maps or was the feature just "hidden"? Just might mean that the capabilities were not intended for prime time but didn't want to hold up the release since it is really a non critical function.

----------

Incorporating Zagat is an "interesting decision" that "leaves one wondering". Critics say the decision "smacks of a 1995 mentality", while boosters love Zagat's "endless tips for cassette tape shopping" and "ease of use" for people who have "never seen the internet before". N.B. The prime rib at Steak & Ale is "to die for"

Can't tell if sarcasm or serious...

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
All the more reason to ditch Apple maps.....

Although, I have to admit, lately I've been wanting to give Apple maps another chance. Siri integration, lockscreen display, etc just seem like a pretty good deal.... But after a few attempts, I remembered why I switched to Google maps... Apple I want to love you! Stop hurting my heart!

I have had the a quite the opposite experience with Apple maps, and even better with iOS 7.

What issues you having?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Whatever. Some of us think these features are awsome. If everyone thought this way we probably would be stuck with 1 dimension maps with no traffic, points of interest, 3d, and satellite views.

Apple maps still suck

Whatever, just posting my thoughts, not saying this is no good for anyone.

and Apple Maps don't suck for me. (Google Maps didn't either)

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I have had the a quite the opposite experience with Apple maps, and even better with iOS 7.

What issues you having?

Apple Maps doesn't know where things are.

Which is quite a big deal for a maps app.

It's POI data is still 80 - 90% missing or innaccurate in London.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Good News. It's going to be a long time before Apple Maps even comes close to Google Maps. Now if Apple would only allow us to make Google Maps the default.

Apple Maps is prettier, but half the time I enter an address Apple Maps doesn't even come close to pinning the location properly--still a big mess.

Odd. I haven't experience any issues with Apple maps finding the correct location.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Consider that Google may not have acted on improving GoogleMaps as quickly had Apple not launched their own.

Competition is good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.