Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
In my city (medium-sized, US) Apple Maps has been significantly more accurate than Google maps, though neither is perfect. I do keep Google maps installed, and expected I would use it often because I believed the anti-Apple hype... but in practice I find I only use Google for transit. And even then I do my search in Apple Maps (since Google won't read my onboard address book), and then Apple automatically opens the route in the Google app when I hit Apple's transit icon. Works great!

The real sign of how well Apple Maps has worked for me: I've long consider Google's desktop maps site to be one the best things ever made, but lately I find myself dissatisfied by it and wishing I could have Apple's maps on the desktop too. (Thank you, Mavericks.)

I have no doubt that there are locations where the reverse is true and Google is better. But Apple's Maps problems are vastly exaggerated. For every bad anecdote about Apple Maps, you could create one about Google if you wanted.

People act like Google doesn't have errors--they do and always did. But without an Apple logo, those errors weren't worthy of bloggers efforts to stir up mobs! :p And once we're TOLD Apple has errors, suddenly we notice them and care, when we used to just brush them off with Google. Confirmation bias: another gift of the Fabulous Human Brain.

EDIT: As for tracking--sure, no solution is 100% perfect for the paranoid. But privacy matters. Google makes their MONEY by tracking users, and by keeping carriers and advertisers happy. Apple makes their money by keeping users happy. That clearly affects the companies' decisions about what data to collect, how anonymous it is, how long to store it, and how easily you can opt out without giving up features.

Last edited:

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Don't worry, it'll fit right in in iOS 7 ;)

No, I mean Google Maps feels like an Android app with things like the typical Android slideout column that is just abhorrent UI.

I think iOS 7 shows great promise for being in more alpha than beta state; it will be a very slick OS when we get the final master. But hey, go ahead and snark away with your off-topic comments.

Sean4123

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
Good News. It's going to be a long time before Apple Maps even comes close to Google Maps. Now if Apple would only allow us to make Google Maps the default.

Apple Maps is prettier, but half the time I enter an address Apple Maps doesn't even come close to pinning the location properly--still a big mess.

Here is an idea: how about you and every other complainer of the iPhones constrained OS, grow a pair and jailbreak your phone?

It only voids the warranty if you're silly enough to bring a jailbroken phone into an apple store for a Genius Bar appointment. You can always default back to the normal firmware.

Seriously there is no excuse to not jailbreak if you're looking for more freedom.

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
Are the people here really THIS naive about the importance of privacy in a democracy? :eek: You can't have one without the other!

You think you live in a democracy? :eek: (look it up in a dictionary if you don't believe me)

Of course privacy is important, but if you think not using Google Maps won't give Google access to your location, then you're likely very deluded. Just by browsing this very forum you've almost certainly given them your IP address, and that alone is enough to get a pretty good idea of your location.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the improvements, but I just wish they'd sort Transit in my area (the iOS 5 Maps app can still do step-by-step transit here, so I don't see why Google's own app can't).

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
In my city (medium-sized, US) Apple Maps has been significantly more accurate than Google maps, though neither is perfect. I do keep Google maps installed, and expected I would use it often because I believed the anti-Apple hype... but in practice I find I only use Google for transit. And even then I do my search in Apple Maps (since Google won't read my onboard address book), and then Apple automatically opens the route in the Google app when I hit Apple's transit icon. Works great!

The real sign of how well Apple Maps has worked for me: I've long consider Google's desktop maps site to be one the best things ever made, but lately I find myself dissatisfied by it and wishing I could have Apple's maps on the desktop too. (Thank you, Mavericks.)

I have no doubt that there are locations where the reverse is true and Google is better. But Apple's Maps problems are vastly exaggerated. For every bad anecdote about Apple Maps, you could create one about Google if you wanted.

People act like Google doesn't have errors--they do and always did. But without an Apple logo, those errors weren't worthy of bloggers efforts to stir up mobs! :p And once we're TOLD Apple has errors, suddenly we notice them and care, when we used to just brush them off with Google. Confirmation bias: another gift of the Fabulous Human Brain.

EDIT: As for tracking--sure, no solution is 100% perfect for the paranoid. But privacy matters. Google makes their MONEY by tracking users, and by keeping carriers and advertisers happy. Apple makes their money by keeping users happy. That clearly affects the companies' decisions about what data to collect, how anonymous it is, how long to store it, and how easily you can opt out without giving up features.

Apple Maps isn't as bad as some people claim, and it's getting better through upgrades and tweaks. It will continue to get better. Over time it will lose the negative perception it has right now.

Re the portion of your comment I bolded: You're exactly right. Google Maps is not perfect. But I think Apple should shoulder 100% of the blame for negativity surrounding Maps. In introducing Maps, Apple made it seem as if they were bringing the NEXT LEVEL in mapping and navigation. The fabulous marketing team did their job... too well IMO. What they actually brought was a valiant effort on a 1st gen offering. I think they could have done themselves a favor by following the old adage "under promise and over deliver". Apple did the opposite.

As for Google Maps... the better they make it, the better it is for everyone.

Last edited:

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Google has the same problem with POIs. However, Streetview minimizes your chances of going to a nonexistent POI. The first thing I do after looking something up is check it in StreetView.

Ditto on biking directions and offline maps

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
That commercial looks like it took inspiration from a controversial music video. Anyone have a guess? It's NSFW and sorta disturbing.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
What part of "Google is 100% an advertising company set up to sell data about it's users and Apple isn't" don't you understand?

That bit.

But mainly because that bit is pure crap given that Google dont sell anything, and never have sold anything to Advertisers.

Interesting tid-bit - run Wireshark on your mac, turn on tethering and get your iOS device to connect to it. Then watch. Then open an iAds based app - it'll be a real eye opener ;)

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
Thanks imap!

Thanks to Apple map, Google has been updating a lot with their google maps. Competition is good...

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Give me the option to download areas for offline navigation like on Android.
Google Maps is a lifesaver when travelling but offline is a must.

It's not truly offline, just has locally-stored data to speed up the process a bit. My company has been trying to use it with wifi-only tabs and it doesn't do anything. Still wants to connect to home.

----------

Biking directions! Please! :)

I've got a biking direction for you:

Follow the **** laws!

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I certainly have in New York City. It constantly confuses the boroughs with one another -- even if I add "Brookyln", "Manhattan" or "Queens" to the address. It's so bad I simply can't use it. Google gets the same address correct every time--even without the full address.

I think Apple Maps' biggest issue is searching is terrible unless you format it it just right. I think in most areas especially outside of the US, the POI database is better on Google Maps. I'm sure there are places where it is not. But to me the biggest problem is I can search for practically anything on Google Maps and I don't have to know how to format it. Apple Maps falls apart in this area. So while, yes, Apple can constantly update and improve it's POI database, it really needs serious work on searching.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
i assume the new 'Enhanced traffic navigation' is only for those countries which this has rolled out ?

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Even though Maps on an iPad is completely pointless, I've been using the default Apple versions much more lately and just have no need for Google, aside from the occasional look on the desktop version out of boredom.

Honestly the look and feel of Google Maps on iOS is just so bad and the fact that it's so barebones and simple just makes it feel like it was just thrown together on a weekend just to say that they had an app.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Google has the same problem with POIs.

Haha, no.

----------

Here is an idea: how about you and every other complainer of the iPhones constrained OS, grow a pair and jailbreak your phone?

It only voids the warranty if you're silly enough to bring a jailbroken phone into an apple store for a Genius Bar appointment. You can always default back to the normal firmware.

Seriously there is no excuse to not jailbreak if you're looking for more freedom.

Y'know, except for the fact there isn't a jailbreak for the currently shipping version of iOS. Nor any way to revert.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

Jailbreaking doesn't work for me. I don't like doing it, I don't like the experience of a jailbroken phone and most of all I don't want to wait months after a new software update waiting for the jailbreak. You realize not everyone has the exact same needs you have right?

Obviously, there are other qualities of the iPhone that I do enjoy which make up for the terrible maps app or otherwise I'd have an Android phone. Since this is a discussion forum (last I checked) then I have a right to report my experience with Apple Maps in my area which sucks the very "pair" you want me to grow.

It would be great if Apple allowed us to change the default mapping application *without* hacking my iPhone. That's all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.