Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
People will also do this out of convenience. Look at how much can go wrong on eBay and some fear craigslist.
I couldn't find the fine print for the actual trade in deal.

Well I hope it helped then. :D
anigif_enhanced-buzz-2585-1373563355-18.gif

M

Mr.damien

So basically you go there with an iPad and you return home with Disney Land dollars. What a deal :D

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
While I am not going to use this deal (my iPad 3 is still a fantastic device and my iPad 2 is a great learning tool for my daughter that I don't worry about her breaking because it is "only" an iPad 2), for many eBay and Craigslist have their own headaches/pitfalls (disputed sales on eBay and getting the $#@# kicked out of you by a random stranger found on Craigslist) and just isn't worth the headaches. If Best Buy is going to up their trade-in value for a couple of days and people want to take advantage good for them.

Me personally, I just give my gear to family when I am done with it. I'd rather lose a few bucks, but know someone in my family is getting good use out of a device.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I'd only do it if they'd give me $400+ for my 3rd gen iPad and use that fundage for an iPad when the new line up is released.

Screw Best Buy. Don't put any money in their pockets. Either sell it on Gazelle or Nextworth, or directly to someone on Craigslist. Then buy a new iPad directly from Apple.

Best Buy is the worst kind of retail wasteland, and we the consumer owe it to civilization to let them go the way of the dodo bird.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
People will also do this out of convenience. Look at how much can go wrong on eBay and some fear craigslist.

Well I hope it helped then. :D

Stopped using eBay years ago. But with craigslist all you have to do is use a little common sense. Follow their advice and never engage with anyone who wants to conduct transactions through mail or couriers, or starts talking about wiring money. And when you meet someone in person do so in a very public place, such as a Starbucks or a mall.

When I sold my iPhone 4 I met the buyer in the hallway of Pentagon City mall, two doors down from the Apple store. Then went into the Apple store and bought my 4S.

When I sold my girlfriend's 4 I met the buyer at a Starbucks at 5:00 PM.

When I sold my 3GS I met the buyer in the busy hallway of a Metro station.

ronnyweasle

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
They wouldn't nor is that what Best Buy is offering.
The article said starting at $200. I'm sure that would be for an iPad2.
Obviously, an iPad3 would be more.

I went on their website and got an estimate for my 64gb wifi iPad 3. $193.

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
They're taking trade ins to sell in a secondary market. It doesn't make sense for them to offer the same amount you could sell it for. They intend on selling it for a profit.

Attachments

• pawn-stars-rick-harrison_475x240.jpg
    pawn-stars-rick-harrison_475x240.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 72

xpected_one

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Texas
Screw Best Buy. Don't put any money in their pockets. Either sell it on Gazelle or Nextworth, or directly to someone on Craigslist. Then buy a new iPad directly from Apple.

Not defending Best Buy but Gazelle is only offering 175$ for a 32gb iPad2. Seems like an even crappier deal.

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
I went on their website and got an estimate for my 64gb wifi iPad 3. $193.

You guys are mixing up the trade-in deals. The online estimate tool has been around forever and is not giving you an estimate of what you'll get at the special two-day program. Two different things.

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
No one bothers to READ anything any more...

$200 is what they'd give you for a good condition iPad 2 16GB Wifi only, FOR THIS WEEKEND ONLY. If you use their online trade-in calculator tool or go in the store ANY OTHER WEEKEND, then you will not get nearly that much for the same iPad. $200 is the MINIMUM you would get for trading in an iPad. Anything better than an iPad 2 16GB Wifi only and you will likely get much better than that $200, depending on condition. You're not going to only get $200 for your iPad 3 32GB Wifi model or for your iPad 2 64GB Wifi+3G model. Use some common sense and pay attention once in a while! :eek::rolleyes:

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Their trade-in prices are crap. Just for kicks, I had the website give me an estimate for my Canon 7D and it gave me $328.86. I can easily get about $900 for this camera in a used market.

Only a dope would give you $900 for that 7D. One can get a used one from B&H for $900.

Kevtech1

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2009
Charlotte
I get tired of hearing people talk about all the bad with eBay. I don't work for eBay, but I haven't had issues. If you are selling a legit product and someone buys it, there should be no problems. If the high bidder doesnt pay- you are out nothing. You just notify eBay and then re-list. It's safe to say Apple (the BMW of electronics) gets you about 65% maybe 70% back of your original purchase price.
I sold a nearly 3 year old MBP 13" for $700 on eBay. Paid $1100 for it. Do the math, its a no-brainier!
Obviously this assumes you have used eBay and have a positive track record, but $200 or even $275 for my IP3 32GB+ cell would be a ripoff!
Obviously Best Buy has to make a profit and that is why they are doing this....

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I get tired of hearing people talk about all the bad with eBay. I don't work for eBay, but I haven't had issues. If you are selling a legit product and someone buys it, there should be no problems. If the high bidder doesnt pay- you are out nothing. You just notify eBay and then re-list. It's safe to say Apple (the BMW of electronics) gets you about 65% maybe 70% back of your original purchase price.
I sold a nearly 3 year old MBP 13" for $700 on eBay. Paid $1100 for it. Do the math, its a no-brainier!
Obviously this assumes you have used eBay and have a positive track record, but $200 or even $275 for my IP3 32GB+ cell would be a ripoff!
Obviously Best Buy has to make a profit and that is why they are doing this....
how many transactions have you done on eBay?

I used to be a powerseller for a few years. If you are selling old items just once or twice a year then chances are you probably won't have an issue. But if you use it quite often, you can run into problems.

eBay sides heavily with the buyers. So if you sell an iPad and buyer says it's SNAD (significantly not as described) they can just ship back a box with nothing in it and get a refund on their money. You as the seller cannot leave them negative feedback and you are at the mercy of ebay and paypal....who won't do anything for you. If you are someone who is fairly new to ebay and not much feedback...there are plenty of people who prey on the newbies.

I've had my paypal account frozen several times bc people can just lie and say something is fake all bc they decided they had buyer's remorse. I never had the problem with people not paying bc i required immediate payment with buy it now option.

I only use eBay now if I absolutely have to sell something I can't locally. Plus you are fee'd to death.

Last edited:

Kevtech1

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2009
Charlotte

I used to be a powerseller for a few years. If you are selling old items just once or twice a year then chances are you probably won't have an issue. But if you use it quite often, you can run into problems.

eBay sides heavily with the buyers. So if you sell an iPad and buyer says it's SNAD (significantly not as described) they can just ship back a box with nothing in it and get a refund on their money. You as the seller cannot leave them negative feedback and you are at the mercy of ebay and paypal....who won't do anything for you. If you are someone who is fairly new to ebay and not much feedback...there are plenty of people who prey on the newbies.

I've had my paypal account frozen several times bc people can just lie and say something is fake all bc they decided they had buyer's remorse. I never had the problem with people not paying bc i required immediate payment with buy it now option.

I only use eBay now if I absolutely have to sell something I can't locally. Plus you are fee'd to death.

You actually had someone mail back an empty box? Yeah, never seen that. I am not a power seller, been on eBay for about 12 years less than 200 trans. Although I do use paypal only and have excellent feedback so I don't foresee eBay not sticking up for me if the buyer is a newbee and tries to pull what you stated above.... A person who is on eBay and has a good track record does not want to be kick out, so I can't fathom the scenario you described. The fees still out-weigh the hassles of craigslist and the loss of trade-in. Just my opinion...

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

Agreed, eBay is a big hassle and not worth it. Too easy for a seller to get screwed.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
You actually had someone mail back an empty box? Yeah, never seen that. I am not a power seller, been on eBay for about 12 years less than 200 trans. Although I do use paypal only and have excellent feedback so I don't foresee eBay not sticking up for me if the buyer is a newbee and tries to pull what you stated above.... A person who is on eBay and has a good track record does not want to be kick out, so I can't fathom the scenario you described. The fees still out-weigh the hassles of craigslist and the loss of trade-in. Just my opinion...

I've also had someone claim my item was fake, file a claim with ebay, get my paypal frozen, they shipped the item back and the item they sent back was a fake and not the original item i had sent. Their money refunded and i'm stuck with a pos item that is fake. Since they claimed my item was fake...ebay cancelled all my remaining items i had for sale and would not give me a refund back on my listing fees and suspended my selling account for 3 months. I sat on thousands of dollars worth of inventory I could not sell. All bc one ebay buyer decided to lie. eBay's response=we had no reason to believe the buyer would not be telling the truth.

buyer's can also do chargeback on credit cards....so you could be a month or 2 down the line thinking all is ok and it's not.

You also get people who don't read the entire auction and expect all these extra things once the item shows up. Where is this? where is that?

Just bc you haven't had any issues...doesn't mean issues don't occur. You just haven't had very much activity on eBay like some of us.

I learned a good lesson from using eBay. The extra $30 or so for selling on there was totally not worth the hassle or the risk. For me, my time and less hassle is worth a lot more than the $30 extra I would have had in my pocket from eBay.

Again, eBay doesn't let you leave negative feedback to a buyer. Why do you think that is?

Last edited:

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Not defending Best Buy but Gazelle is only offering 175$ for a 32gb iPad2. Seems like an even crappier deal.

Gazelle will not offer much more than BB because they need to make a profit also. If they offer too much, how would they be able to make the difference when they sell it?

Gazelle would give me $270 for my 32GB AT&T Mini. Change that to a Verizon 32GB Mini and they offer $225.

Last edited:

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
Tho this sounds like a (not) smoking deal, it would require me to go into a BB store, and I promised I would not do that after they screwed me on a return 5 years ago. BB is one of those entities I hope goes out of business soon.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
No matter how much they increase the buyback amount for, remember it's in BB gift cards, so it's win-win for them. They get your iPad, and you have to spend the money they give you at their store.

Better off selling it locally.

Fusion79

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Omaha, NE
Stopped using eBay years ago. But with craigslist all you have to do is use a little common sense. Follow their advice and never engage with anyone who wants to conduct transactions through mail or couriers, or starts talking about wiring money. And when you meet someone in person do so in a very public place, such as a Starbucks or a mall.

When I sold my iPhone 4 I met the buyer in the hallway of Pentagon City mall, two doors down from the Apple store. Then went into the Apple store and bought my 4S.

When I sold my girlfriend's 4 I met the buyer at a Starbucks at 5:00 PM.

When I sold my 3GS I met the buyer in the busy hallway of a Metro station.

Man robs Craigslist seller at Oakview Mall

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news...all/-/9674510/20620720/-/6pyn7yz/-/index.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.