Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in May, Rovio announced a new "Rovio Account" feature that would allow users to sync their progress on games such as Angry Birds across devices. At the time, the feature launched with limited availability, arriving worldwide for The Croods and only in Finland and Poland on the original Angry Birds game.

angry_birds_rovio_account.jpg
Rovio today announced that the new Accounts feature is now available worldwide on the original Angry Birds across iOS and Android devices, although it is yet to come to the other games in the Angry Birds family.
We know that you've all been waiting for a way to sync progress between devices and we really feel that we have an amazing solution in place now.

For now, Rovio Account is available on the original Angry Birds game, as well as The Croods. The next step is for us to roll this out onto other Angry Birds and non Angry Birds titles, so that's exactly what we're going to do!
Angry Birds for iPhone [Direct Link] and iPad [Direct Link] are available in the App Store.

Article Link: Rovio Expands 'Accounts' Cross-Device Game Progress Syncing to Original 'Angry Birds'

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
We need way more of this. Helps with those that want to jump ship on an OS. I only see consumer benefit here.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
My question is, will it sync between the iPad and iPhone versions. Since Rovio LOVES reselling their games with the "HD" tag on iPad at a higher price, they are technically separate apps.

What I really want is to be able to have Angry Birds on my iPhone and Angry Birds HD on my iPad sync. Rovio could fix this if they just made a universal version. Make the more expensive version the universal app if they really want, but its annoying as hell having two separate versions of the same game. Then again, I just shouldn't buy them ;)

jimlat

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
My question is, will it sync between the iPad and iPhone versions. Since Rovio LOVES reselling their games with the "HD" tag on iPad at a higher price, they are technically separate apps.

What I really want is to be able to have Angry Birds on my iPhone and Angry Birds HD on my iPad sync. Rovio could fix this if they just made a universal version. Make the more expensive version the universal app if they really want, but its annoying as hell having two separate versions of the same game. Then again, I just shouldn't buy them ;)

Yes, what you describe is exactly what it does...signed up this morning and my iPad progress transferred seamlessly to my iPhone...finally...:)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It's weird that they announced it today. I've been using it in Angry Birds and Angry Birds HD for over a week now.

The app prompted me to sign up...was I a part of a secret beta practice group maybe?

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Yes, what you describe is exactly what it does...signed up this morning and my iPad progress transferred seamlessly to my iPhone...finally...:)

Really? I'm a little surprised, but thats good news. Finally

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Well this is better than nothing. I hope they also extend this to the Mac version as well.

kevinws

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
O'Fallon, MO
How many people switch off playing a game between iOS and Android versions?

I know quite a few people that have both an iOS device and an Android device. I have a Nexus 7 and a iPhone 4. Very soon I could have an iPhone 5 and an iPad or i might keep the Nexus 7 and get an Nexus 4 or HTC One. It is nice to have the choice if you need it.

Stack Overflow

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
They don't work on Android.

That doesn't matter. At all.

I don't mean that Android doesn't matter, but that adding iCloud support doesn't take away one whit from a cross-platform Rovio account. Not entirely unlike how 1Password supports syncing through iTunes, iCloud, Dropbox, or via WiFi.

It's the same save file being synced.

Personally, I'd much rather use iCloud, as I don't have to set up yet another account. And, it'd in fact, just work.

And I would still be glad they have the Rovio account as an option, so that others could use it that need it, and for it to be an option for me in the future if I started using other platforms.

Everyone comes out ahead!

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I already had 10 accounts hacked this last year, and my debit card information got stolen and used, I'm not making another one one just for syncing a couple of games. *YAWN* :rolleyes:

10 accounts in 1 year? A couple is understandable, but I don't know anyone that has had 10 accounts hacked in their entire life, let alone in 1 year. Yikes, you are unlucky. :(

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
10 accounts in 1 year? A couple is understandable, but I don't know anyone that has had 10 accounts hacked in their entire life, let alone in 1 year. Yikes, you are unlucky. :(

Yeah. Right after they leaked the Yahoo details, someone actually tried to break into my iTunes account to the point where it reset the password. :( It wasn't even the same password (of course :rolleyes:).

This last time, someone tried to spend $400 something online at Wal-Mart. :rolleyes: I only have that debit card connected to my Netflix account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.