Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
buying online is the evolution of catalogue shopping.

the most boring type of purchasing imo

don't flame me, I know the app is for in-store purchasing

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
So you mean to tell me I should drive 10-20 miles and walk inside the mall for an apple store, to wait in line for a new phone instead of going to one of the closer stores near me? Yeah right Apple, you have to give me an incentive.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
This seems like a very misplaced focus for Apple and Tim Cook. Who cares if the sales are coming from Apple Stores, as long as people are buying iPhones? Tim Cook needs to focus on INNOVATION, not silly sales tactics that sound like they're coming out of Steve Ballmer's playbook.

Nope. They are focusing on followup sales when a customer sees all the shiny toys while in an Apple store.

What do you want for innovation (and no, a bigger phone is not innovation) ?

----------

So you mean to tell me I should drive 10-20 miles and walk inside the mall for an apple store, to wait in line for a new phone instead of going to one of the closer stores near me? Yeah right Apple, you have to give me an incentive.

I'm sure they will if they really want to make the sale in one of their stores.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
How about upgrading the Apple Store app to support iPad as well?

It's too difficult for Apple to make an iPad app isn't it. /s

No iPad support still?

I imagine Apple doesn't think it is necessary to add iPad support because going to http://store.apple.com in Safari on an iPad works just fine (unlike trying to do that on an iPhone or iPod Touch where an app makes more sense because of the small screen size).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This seems like a very misplaced focus for Apple and Tim Cook. Who cares if the sales are coming from Apple Stores, as long as people are buying iPhones? Tim Cook needs to focus on INNOVATION, not silly sales tactics that sound like they're coming out of Steve Ballmer's playbook.

In Apple Stores, there is nobody trying to convince potential customers to buy an Android phone. And Tim Cook has lots of great people working for him, who each focus on different things.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

Apple is now run by beancounters and suits. Steve ain't coming back.

emjaymert

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
software

My gripe with the Apple store is it no longer carries software.I,for one would love a game or two to USE on my Mac.As it is now I get my software from..Walmart of all places! I infinitely prefer disc copies of software as sometimes..the cloud is DOWN just a week ago one of the poles near me was hit by a truck..no internet for over 8 hours.

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
I imagine Apple doesn't think it is necessary to add iPad support because going to http://store.apple.com in Safari on an iPad works just fine (unlike trying to do that on an iPhone or iPod Touch where an app makes more sense because of the small screen size).

Tell that to stores like Amazon, Walmart, Ebay, Target, etc. that have made iPad optimized apps for customers to shop on.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
You're living it wrong. Time to move.

I have 2 Apple stores within 15 minutes of me.

I still order online. Whats it matter to you, anyway? With all of those stores, and I assume some RatShacks, you have every Apple item you could need within 5 miles. Just not their "genius" bars.

I have 4 within an hour of me, and 2 of those are within :20 minutes

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I'm sorry. I'm really confused. Apple is improving their Apple Store app in order to sell more I phones in their retail stores?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
My gripe with the Apple store is it no longer carries software.I,for one would love a game or two to USE on my Mac.As it is now I get my software from..Walmart of all places! I infinitely prefer disc copies of software as sometimes..the cloud is DOWN just a week ago one of the poles near me was hit by a truck..no internet for over 8 hours.

steam works offline for a lot of games

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
OK. Sounds like Apple's normal strategy

So, just so I'm clear on this story.

Apple is holding Verizon hostage for X million unsold iPhone's because of a contract that they couldn't meet and now Apple wants to pull even more customers away from Vendors and get more sales in their own stores.

Doesn't seem like a very mutual contract anymore for Apple vendors anymore.

Wonder what Tim is going to pull out of his As* next?

Ads on the home screen but only if Apple get's a 30% cut.

The entire article just seems so desperate on Apple's part, what am I missing?

The free balloon if I get an iToy from the Apple store and not Verizon?
There is no incentive to buy from Apple and Apple knows it.

kbsj007

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Bellevue WA
Or they are just pushing those items in their sales focus.

I do not agree with what you said.
First, the rMBP and Mac Mini are on the first page, probably someone would say that this does not matter, but, they both have new tagline have you noticed? The rMBP's tagline on the leaked screenshot is "Amazingly thin, light, and compact." Try to Google that tagline you will find that no current Apple products match this search.
Second, the Apple Online Store is DOWN! Does this make any sense, even just pure suggestion?
At least I think it serves as an indicator to upcoming product refresh. Anyway, we shall see if it's true sooner than later.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-21 at 11.23.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-21 at 11.23.51 AM.png
    503.7 KB · Views: 82

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
I have four Apple stores within 30 minutes of me. I refuse to go to any of them. last time I was at one, I had ordered an iPhone online and went to the store to pick it up. Took 30 minutes to see anyone to get my phone with the stupid check in system they had.

Maybe their intentions were that it would make me want to look at computers or iPads to buy one but I just stood there waiting.

Their intention was to help you ask quickly as possible with their current staff to customer ratio.

You got your phone didn't you? In a place stuffed with interesting accessories and dozens of computers, you couldn't think of anything to do except fume over how they weren't helping you immediately?

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Why does a billion dollar company need to take down their store?

I do not agree with what you said.
First, the rMBP and Mac Mini are on the first page, probably someone would say that this does not matter, but, they both have new tagline have you noticed? The rMBP's tagline on the leaked screenshot is "Amazingly thin, light, and compact." Try to Google that tagline you will find that no current Apple products match this search.
Second, the Apple Online Store is DOWN! Does this make any sense, even just pure suggestion?
At least I think it serves as an indicator to upcoming product refresh. Anyway, we shall see if it's true sooner than later.

Why does a mega billion dollar company need to take down their store when they have a product update or new product?

It used to be okay back in the 90's but every billion dollar company "should be" running redundant servers and there isn't any need for this anymore other than Apple's hype game.

"Amazingly thin, light, and compact."

At what cost? What is Jony Ive and Tim pulling out of the products now?

Nope, you don't need WiFi (it never worked anyway), just buy an iDevice at our Apple Store and use one of "our" vendors to get your new LTE device on the Internet.

You may have to wait because the store is down and the developer site is down but keep driving 200 miles to your nearest Apple store when you have a 7-11 giving away iPhones with every 32 oz drink or 12 pack of Billy Beer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.