Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
In light of all the computer security news of late and my own ongoing pursuit of securing my computer and Internet habits for my own protection against hackers and identity theft, I've now started encrypting my emails, or rather installed the ability to.

I installed the open-source GPG (PGP) GPGTools add-on for Apple Mail and generated a 4096-bit public and private key each for two of my email accounts. The whole process took less than five minutes and is very easy to accomplish.

Once installed, sending either a digitally signed and/or encrypted email is as simple as clicking on a button in the new mail window. The catch is that the recipient must also have encryption enabled on their account and have uploaded their public key to a key server so you can download it and use it to decrypt an email. If the person you're sending an email to isn't set up for encryption, that's not a problem, you can still send them an email as you would normally, it just won't be encrypted.

What encrypting your email does is ensure that no one, a hacker, Apple, Google, Microsoft, et al or even the NSA, can snoop on your messages if they happen to intercept it. All they would get would be a huge string of random characters that they wouldn't be able to decrypt.

One part of the setup process is generating your keys. The installer (above) installs the GPG Keychain Access app, which is different from Apple's Keychain app. With the GPG Keychain access you generate a public and private key and during the generation process you're supposed to move the mouse around a lot or type a lot to get the CPU or disk to create a lot of activity which helps mix up the bits of the key for maximum entropy. With the speed of today's CPU's, key generation is accomplished in mere seconds.

What I did to ensure there was plenty of disk activity during the key generation was start up and run Blackmagic, the disk speed test app, which is free from the Mac App Store. I figure with that running while you're generating the keys, the excessive disk activity will help create the most entropy possible making for a very secure key. Once the key is generated, you can cancel Blackmagic's speed test - if you want.

Another part of the key generation process is creating a passphrase. This is similar to a password in that its typically a sentence with upper/lower case words and numbers, even characters, that only you know and can remember. This is used to decrypt your private key and send/read encrypted emails or verify a digitally signed email. If you lose or forget your passphrase, there is no way to ever recover it and you would have to make a new key. Any email you received sent to you based on your lost passphrase will forever be unreadable to you. Its very important to remember your passphrase and never give it out to anyone.

Lastly, you will want to upload your public key to a key server so others can download and use it to decrypt your emails. You will also want to get as many people as you can to sign your key so that it helps bring validity and credit to your key letting people know that its actually you and your key. Doing this is usually called a key signing party where you get people, typically that you know to sign your key, or actually meet up somewhere so people can actually meet you and be comfortable signing your key.

This method is very secure, open-source, and endorsed by the podcast Security Now with Leo Laporte (twit.tv) and Steve Gibson (grc.com).

Additionally, this can be set up on Windows computers and Mozilla Thunderbird (OS X & Windows). Here is the addon for Thunderbird: Enigmail. I don't have the method worked out for applying this on Windows yet, but will work on it.

I have two email accounts set up, one in Apple Mail and the other in Thunderbird. I set them both up and have easily sent encrypted emails to each account.

If anyone is willing to try this, I am willing to help and provide my MacRumors email account as a test for sending encrypted emails back and forth. I don't mind doing this since that email account is also listed under the View Forum Leaders page.

Note: This thread is not intended to discuss or debate the political and social issues regarding encryption and whether or not one has anything to hide from the government or not. We have a PRSI thread where that stuff is already being discussed.

Apple Releases Statement on Customer Privacy and Law Enforcement Requests for Customer Data

What this thread is intended for is the technical aspect of email encryption and for members to come together and sign each other's key's.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Steps to set up email encryption

1. Download GPGTools and install it
  2. Generate a pair of keys for the email account you desire
  3. Choose the bit length of the keys under advanced in GPG Keychain Access when creating a new key. Recommend length is 4096
  4. Upload your key to the key server
  5. Find someone who has or will set their account up like you have
  6. Download their key
  7. Send them an encrypted email

Here is the link to the GPG tutorial which does a nicer job of detailing the process than I have here.

If you have or once you have set up your encryption, you can search the key server through the GPG Keychain Access app for my key which is listed under my username: SandboxGeneral.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Let me ask you this.

If I go this route, and I send an email to say a friend, what do they get? Some sort of email with a link to receive and decrypt the email or am I misunderstanding the process?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Let me ask you this.

If I go this route, and I send an email to say a friend, what do they get? Some sort of email with a link to receive and decrypt the email or am I misunderstanding the process?

First off, GPGTools will not allow you to send an encrypted email to someone who doesn't already have this set up and where you've already downloaded their public key to your GPG Keychain.

So instead you'd be sending them a clear email as you are and have been all along.

Once you have someone's public key and they have yours, you each can send fully encrypted emails to each other.

Here is an example of one of my test emails to myself and what the message looks like encrypted. What it actually says in the clear is "Test 01."
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.19 (Darwin)
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=oIFl
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the clarification.

I remember when I was refinancing my mortgage, I'd get an email from them stating that I have a secure/encrypted email. I then had to use the link to sign on to a special site to retrieve my messages. So this works differently then that.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Thanks for the clarification.

I remember when I was refinancing my mortgage, I'd get an email from them stating that I have a secure/encrypted email. I then had to use the link to sign on to a special site to retrieve my messages. So this works differently then that.

Yes, it works differently but accomplishes the same thing - provided the method the mortgage company used is the same encryption technology.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
The problem is, a lot of people aren't willing to set something like this up, which makes it pretty useless in the real world. I talk to people outside my tech friends about government monitoring and it's like they don't care. Which is why the government gets away with it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So instead you'd be sending them a clear email as you are and have been all along.
And there's the rub. I can count on 99.99% of my emails will be going to people who do not have this and/or are unwilling to set this up.

For this technology to work and catch on, it needs to be done with a level of integration that the user does not have to sign up for some special tools and certificates.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
And there's the rub. I can count on 99.99% of my emails will be going to people who do not have this and/or are unwilling to set this up.......

Yep, the recipient has to be aware he is getting communication from you ...... and WANT to receive it :eek: .......98% of my emails received aren't really desired :D.

Pretty neat capability though ...........

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
98% of my emails received aren't really desired :D.
I can say same thing for my work emails :eek:

I think as security is only going to get better, but as I mentioned it needs to be better integrated.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
With the release of Mavericks, GPGTools has released their latest version of GPGMail, 2.1 and MacGPG 2.0.22.

They had so many people downloading the updates that it crashed their server and ballooned their ISP's allocated bandwidth. They had to add 4 additional servers to handle the load.

Tweet
In the first 24 hours after Apple has released OS X Mavericks, 33,411 users have downloaded GPGTools!
Cool Stuff! 768GB Traffic

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
With the release of Mavericks, GPGTools has released their latest version of GPGMail, 2.1 and MacGPG 2.0.22.

They had so many people downloading the updates that it crashed their server and ballooned their ISP's allocated bandwidth. They had to add 4 additional servers to handle the load.

Tweet

I didn't even know this software existed. This is a great find.

Jon-PDX

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Pacific NW - USA
And there's the rub. I can count on 99.99% of my emails will be going to people who do not have this and/or are unwilling to set this up.

For this technology to work and catch on, it needs to be done with a level of integration that the user does not have to sign up for some special tools and certificates.

Figured I'd revive this thread just for fun to see if it gets more interest.

You are correct, it's like pulling teeth to get people to use encryption.

I've tried many times over the years to get folks to use PGP and a few did but quit using it after a few months :(

GPGTools integrates it's self pretty well in MacMail and Thunderbird but still requires folks to take one more step to encrypt the email before hitting send or to decrypt it to read it.

One thing GPGTools does not do on my Mac that I could do with PGP on my old windows box is create a self-decrypting file that you can send to someone who does not have the software installed. All the recipient needs to know is the password to decrypt it.

I've spoken to the GPGTools folks about it but I got the impression that that feature is not possible with the current build of openPGP which GPGTools is based on.

Sorry, got a little off topic. I just miss that feature.

Anyway, integration has improved over the years but as I said it does take an extra step or two to use it. If it's important to the end user they will use it and I suspect there are a lot of folks that would use it if they know it was available. The trick is to make more folks aware of it.

Including a link to GPGTools (Mac) and Gpg4win (Windows) in your email signature can generate interest by folks wondering what it is. Beyond that I'm at a loss as how to get more people interested in using encryption.

Jon…

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm using a very simple to use, web based encryption system.

You sign in, and the recipient of your encrypted message receives an email informing them of the message, and a link. When they click the link it takes them to the site. They fill in a few lines of information, and the encrypted message is available.

A very easy to use system...especially for the unsophisticated computer user. The only weak link is when the site sends the email to the recipient with the link...I suppose the email from the site could be intercepted.

Certainly for my purposes...possibly sending medical information on a patient, it is a more than adequate security system.

And it is so easy to use, you are much more likely to get others to use the system.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
There is also Hushmail

https://www.hushmail.com

Their servers are located in Canada which helps to keep them away from the US.gov laws. But like any other web based service it's still no guarantee it can't be compromised.

More info on Hustmail security can be found here.
https://www.hushmail.com/about/technology/security/

Jon…

I used Hushmail quite a while ago. I never stuck with it because their UI was lacking a lot. I should hope that they'd improved it over the last few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.