Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I have a Galaxy S4 and I love it, but the Note 3, which is coming in Sept/Oct could be a game changer. For me, it looks like it could replace my tablet and let me have just two devices, a laptop and a Note. I especially like the S Pen and its ability to be used to scroll while on the internet. The 3 GB of Ram and the HD screen, along with a bigger battery could make me sell the S4 and go to the Note 3.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
I have a Galaxy S4 and I love it, but the Note 3, which is coming in Sept/Oct could be a game changer. For me, it looks like it could replace my tablet and let me have just two devices, a laptop and a Note. I especially like the S Pen and its ability to be used to scroll while on the internet. The 3 GB of Ram and the HD screen, along with a bigger battery could make me sell the S4 and go to the Note 3.

Just wondering: How do you see it as a possible game changer? I guess it's going to be a normal iteration; better specs, bigger screen.. or am I missing on something here?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Just wondering: How do you see it as a possible game changer? I guess it's going to be a normal iteration; better specs, bigger screen.. or am I missing on something here?

yeah, I do not see it being a game changer....just a better note as expected.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Technically all or any future device could be fantastic if they meet your needs for that product ....

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
re: game changer

It will be big enough to replace a tablet while still retaining a form small enough to put in your pocket and still make calls. I would call that a game changer.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How big is too big?

I think the Note 2 is borderline in that aspect. I think any larger and it becomes unwieldly as a phone. Plus I'm guessing consumers may not be turned on answering calls on a tablet sized device - it looks kind of goofy. Perhaps the technical/hobbyists wouldn't mind but Joe Q public may. Just a thought.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It will be big enough to replace a tablet while still retaining a form small enough to put in your pocket and still make calls. I would call that a game changer.

That is very debatable. Personally the note is too big for me.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

It would be how one defines small enough / pocket-ability / usability for calls however - and everyones opinions on that differ.

A game changer fundamentally changes the entire industry / sector. If the Note 1 & Note 2 haven't done that (though they have paved way for phablet market) then Note 3 needs more than just size.

Personally a 5.5-6" device is too small for me to replace a tablet for extended sessions of web browsing, and too big for me to feel comfortable texting and using as a cellular phone, and I'm not alone in that section.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
an HD screen on a 5.7 inch device will be great to see i must admit but that phone will be massive. and to think the 5.5 note was big now being 0.2 inches bigger it will be interesting how you would handle that. think the 5 inch S4 is the perfect kind of size.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Personally a 5.5-6" device is too small for me to replace a tablet for extended sessions of web browsing.

I was about to say this. Tablets are meant to be significantly larger than today's smartphones. I wouldn't see myself sitting down on a couch at night browsing the web on a Galaxy Note or any other phablet device. It's much more comfortable using something larger like the Nexus 7, iPad mini, iPad 4, Nexus 10, etc. If you put a Note next to one of those devices (maybe not the Nexus 7, there's a significant different despite the Note already being a pretty large device.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
an HD screen on a 5.7 inch device will be great to see i must admit but that phone will be massive. and to think the 5.5 note was big now being 0.2 inches bigger it will be interesting how you would handle that. think the 5 inch S4 is the perfect kind of size.

Who says the Note III will be bigger than the Note II?
I bet they will do like with the S3 and S4,
display 0,2" bigger, but the overall size will be the same or slightly smaller.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I have a note 2 and its a brilliant phone but its far to small to replace a tablet, its just a more productive phone. It will never replace my ipad just as my ipad will not replace my mac air, cannot see how ppl have these views.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
i'll be checking out some reviews, i wanna see all the new software features they've added, if their are some really cool new features then i'll go for it.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
The current Note 2 is already better than the S4 in my opinion. Currently I just have my iMac and the Note.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.