Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 2013 Macbook Air gone blank/autosleep on you during usage?

• Yes is has happened once or twice

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • Yes it has happened a few times, or frequently.

Votes: 65 50.4%
  • No it has never happened.

Votes: 42 32.6%

• Total voters

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Hi fellow users.

I was wondering if anyone else has a problem with their screen randomly going blank at different points? It just happened to me again just now for the 2nd time today. Mostly happens when my Air is not plugged in.

It's like auto sleep or something in the middle of process.

Anyone else facing similar issues? i'm about to call support but I wanted a brief understanding of the problem first.

Thanks

EDIT: Guys, I have added a poll. Please take a second to vote so we can understand how big/common the issue is. Thank You.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hi AXs,

Simply for the purpose of diagnosing the issue, would you be kind enough to go into 'Energy Saver' in System Preferences, and change the settings to never let the computer/display/hard disk sleep when on Power Adapter?

If you could briefly do this and then continue to use your computer? Therefore we can diagnose that if the issue ceases to happen, it's something to do with the power settings. Conversely, if the issue persists, it may be something hardware related, or could indicate the need to reset the PRAM or SMC.

Best wishes.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Thank you very much for your kind suggestion keysofanxiety, I'll do just that and continue to observe. Will post results of observation within the next 24 hours.

Really appreciate you taking time to help a fellow board member out. Best wishes.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Hi fellow users.

I was wondering if anyone else has a problem with their screen randomly going blank at different points? It just happened to me again just now for the 2nd time today. Mostly happens when my Air is not plugged in.

Anyone else facing similar issues? i'm about to call support but I wanted a brief understanding of the problem first.

Thanks

assuming it's not saver mode settings like keysofanxiety is trying to rule out, i suspect this is related to the SSD not playing nicely with ML.

is it just the screen sleeping or is it going to sleep? it could be trying to sleep but you're interrupting it with your next key stroke.

which reminds me, also make sure there's not a weird shortcut causing it. is there any pattern to what keys you are hitting (especially one containing the command/opt/cntrl keys) when it happens?

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
There was one instance where I just woke my screen up from sleep, and it went blank again.

It was just the screen sleeping initially, or so I thought.

But the instant it happened before I made this thread, it took about 2-3 seconds to come back, and wifi was re-connecting when screen came on.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Sounds like expected behaviour. Like the other poster said, simply turn off the power sleep settings. Coming out of sleep the monitor can sometimes blank out if the time it goes to sleep coincides with when you wake it. Then it will wake and go to sleep immediately. This is nothing to worry about. If you are worried make a genius appointment. They're happy to have a look and explain the power settings to you at no cost except time.

TMac99

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
AXs - I have seen the same problem a few times. The screen goes black even though I was typing just a few seconds previously. I doesn't happen often - maybe only 4 or 5 times in the 3 weeks I have had my MBA. I don't recall if it is always either plugged in or on battery - I'll pay more attention to the circumstances if it happens again and try to post some details. I have the power settings to default. When it first happened I changed the Display Sleep time (on battery) from the default of 2 mins to 5 mins and that seemed to help (even though it was only 5 seconds since typing that the computer went to sleep). It may be a coincidence, but it didn't happen again until I reset the energy saver preferences back to default. I will leave them at the default setting for a while and see if it reoccurs.

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I returned two machines due to the flickering Photoshop issue and this phenomenon occurred around twice with each of the machines during the fortnight I had them. The 3rd machine I have now has never turned off in the month I've had it.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
Hi fellow users.

Thanks

I'm having this same issue, and it is definitely not a sleep/power saving issue.

As someone else has posted, I could be in the middle of typing, or just finished and all of a sudden the screen blacks out as if it did enter a sleep state.

I noticed, at least for me, the issue was when I was entering passwords/fields in chrome. I am attributing this problem to Chrome though... Prior to upgrading to my MBA, I was having a weird screen flicker issue when browsing pages in chrome on my MBP. After some researching I found the issue was with chrome.

Those experiencing the problem, are you only experiencing it in Chrome when browsing the web?

Here is the link;
https://productforums.google.com/fo...ubleshooting-help/mac/L1LX9gMnwa8[1-25-false]

Last edited:

budgynana

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
Just a consideration: Was watching a video the other day where somebody was demonstrating this and it turns out their cause was sitting the MBA on top of a case - with magnets as the closing mechanism - which was making the MBA think the screen was being closed any time there was movement or every time the user was lifting off and placing back onto the case.

peanut48

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
Oops, my less than 48 hours old MBA is doing the same thing. It not plugged in when this happens so haven't changed any sleep preferences. My MBA goes of to sleep fairly quickly and when I wake it after I enter my password, after a few seconds goes into this black screen with the mouse pointer shown. Then its once again locked. It's happened to me quite frequently today, all while I'm on the battery.

Is this of major concern?
There are no magnets around, apart from other apple devices like my iphone/ipad/old macbook but don't think they are causing any of this.

Should I contact Apple about this?

Reactions: scl1992

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I'm having the same issue. I'm curious whether anyone knows the official explanation for this behaviour - perhaps somebody that's taken their machine for a genius appointment.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Hey guys. I'm really shocked that it is a ongoing problem with so many different people. Certainly makes me believe that this is a software issue.

I have added a poll to this thread so that we can have a real idea on how many people have actually faced this problem.

If it is such a widespread issue, maybe we can even collectively bring it up with Apple. Or maybe if we're lucky, someone from the macrumors team might notice it if it is such a widespread issue, and can bring it to Apple's attention with their awesome journalism :D

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Sounds like expected behaviour. Like the other poster said, simply turn off the power sleep settings. Coming out of sleep the monitor can sometimes blank out if the time it goes to sleep coincides with when you wake it. Then it will wake and go to sleep immediately. This is nothing to worry about. If you are worried make a genius appointment. They're happy to have a look and explain the power settings to you at no cost except time.

i don't think what he is describing is "expected behaviour" at all. my theory is it has something to do with ML not playing well with the SSD because this happens on both my air and my old 2009 MB that i upgraded.

mojay12

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
this has happened to me alot (it would go black for a few seconds and then return) on the 13.3/1.3/4/256 model

I only had it for about 12 days and then I returned it. I also experienced crackling noise in the speakers. However, I may end up repurchasing a Haswell MBA, but I hope this problem isn't a big issue, or there is a solution

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Wow, this sounds like the random blank screen issue with the 2012 Mini, which was seen across both PCs and Macs with the HD4000. Don't know if it was ever resolved, but returned the 2012 Mini after experiencing it a few times, and bought a 2011 Mini with Radeon GPU.

Last edited:

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
yea it sucks... but doesn't take more than a couple seconds a day tops.

not gonna make me even think of returning my mac but hopefully future software/mavericks will eliminate it.

/oh btw, anyone on mavs suffering this problem?

dr34mc4st3r

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2009
Singapore
for some cursed reason, i have been experiencing this the past few days. utterly annoying. let's hope its due to some OS issue that Apple can issue an update for

mbafan

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
had this two times few days ago, from second time it hanged and couldnt be resumed by opening lid and pressing power button. Only after holding power button to completely switch off and then booting it, it started to work. Havent had this issue since

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
had this two times few days ago, from second time it hanged and couldnt be resumed by opening lid and pressing power button. Only after holding power button to completely switch off and then booting it, it started to work. Havent had this issue since

It has never been that serious for me. The longest was like 3 seconds, and wifi was off.

I disabled powernap when plugged in, today morning Over 12 hours and nothing yet.

Force shutdown seems rough. I hope Apple is doing something about this.

jomo25

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Having the same issue with my new MBA 11/i5 1.3GHz/4GB/256GB. Never had it with my 2011 MBA 11.

It seems to happen only when on battery only. Otherwise random. Can be mid sentence typing when it happens. I find that if I hit the Power button, it wakes up. So it's like a random going to sleep. Though I have seen sometimes I can still see the mouse cursor outline (in white against complete black background). And in those cases, power button doesnt wake it up.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
So far there are some people who get it when plugged in only, some on battery only... some from when waking from sleep...

There doesn't seem to be a pattern here. I think it is just a fault with the build.

It can't be with software, because it seems older Mac models have no such issues with the latest OS.

If it is happening to over 80% of users, it definitely is a mainstream issue.
I hope some site picks it up soon and takes it to the media... seems to be the only way that Apple will do something about it.

Has anyone contacted Apple US about this? Would love to know what they had to say.

keatre

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
It can't be with software, because it seems older Mac models have no such issues with the latest OS. (1)

If it is happening to over 80% of users(2), it definitely is a mainstream issue.
I hope some site picks it up soon and takes it to the media...

(1) - The 2013 MBA does not run the same version of 10.8 as other MacBooks, as it's specifically coded for Haswell. It very well could be and most likely is a software issue.

(2) - That's a very generous number? Where are you coming up with that? 80% users sampled, perhaps - but I am quite sure it's not 80% of units produced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.