Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elensil

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
Purpose of the Dual LED Flash

2 different color LED's are used to better match color of the flash light to the color of ambient light in the scene. This will be used to avoid unnatural looking blueish flash in indoor shots etc.

This is my guess but it does make sense:)

What does a duel flash do? Why is that better?

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Thats the basic theory, but on these cell phone cameras with tiny sensors and cheap plastic lenses, most of that theory stays as just that. A half (or less) stop difference in aperture on the kind of lenses that these cameras have, or a tiny bump up in sensor size is not really going to make an appreciable difference to these cameras. The software and internal image processing of what comes off that tiny sensor makes most difference.

Also, the depth of field on pinprick sized sensors is so huge that, absent putting a subject at your minimum focussing distance and having the rest of the frame very far off, i dont think opening up aperture is going to make any difference to the selective focus youve described.

Maybe you are right, not but I have noticed a difference in DOF between the various iPhones models. Maybe the 4S to the 5 wasn't a noticeable difference, but the 3G to the 4S was.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Errr...right. When I take a picture of the grand canyon I'd never use anything but DSLR; not a crappy P&S or even worse: a smartphone camera. Bulky? There are so many DSLR-bodies around, you don't have to use the heavy pro ones.

Don't get me wrong, smartphone cameras are perfectly fine for snapshots and fun stuff. But I when I'm travelling I only use my DSLR.

If you don't see a difference, good for you...

You should try traveling without your dSLR, and notice how much better your shots are on your cameraphone.

Traveling is actually probably the worst form to use a dSLR, since travel shots are informal.

Really, dSLRs are only good for sports/action/studio - very formal activities.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Maybe you are right, not but I have noticed a difference in DOF between the various iPhones models. Maybe the 4S to the 5 wasn't a noticeable difference, but the 3G to the 4S was.

Interesting. I havent, but I am going to pull out some of my old models and have a play around!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.