Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Oblivion is possible without quest markers on the map and compass, due to the fact that the quest log provides detailed enough information about who you need to find or where you need to go.

Skyrim on the other hand threw out much of that information from the quest log, and decided to guide players mostly by map trackers. I am fairly certain that on most quests, you would have no idea where to go or who to speak with to complete the quest.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Oblivion is possible without quest markers on the map and compass, due to the fact that the quest log provides detailed enough information about who you need to find or where you need to go.

Skyrim on the other hand threw out much of that information from the quest log, and decided to guide players mostly by map trackers. I am fairly certain that on most quests, you would have no idea where to go or who to speak with to complete the quest.

Much is based on how the info is presented. If a quest giver tells you to go to the such-and-such cave, because it has a name, it would follow that someone in the realm would know its location and even be able to mark it on a map. Or I can also see being told where this person lives and go find them. Most towns are rather small.

However, if the quest giver says the bad mage disappeared into the North and his location is unknown, this would be an impossible or at best a time consuming proposition that most players would not accept.

Consequently I can accept a quest giver saying go here, and putting a mark on your map.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Much is based on how the info is presented. If a quest giver tells you to go to the such-and-such cave, because it has a name, it would follow that someone in the realm would know its location and even be able to mark it on a map. Or I can also see being told where this person lives and go find them. Most towns are rather small.

However, if the quest giver says the bad mage disappeared into the North and his location is unknown, this would be an impossible or at best a time consuming proposition that most players would not accept.

Consequently I can accept a quest giver saying go here, and putting a mark on your map.

I think it depends on the type of player. There are many games with riddles and puzzles and such where the whole point is to figure it out with clues. There's a bit of that gameplay in the dungeons, but I'm afraid you're right on the majority of "action adventure" players, who expect a more shooter style with knifing. But that is really the whole point of "missing mage". But yeah, there was this missing girl who was looking for herbs on an island, but she was at the bottom of a stream and there's no way you would be able to figure that out given the dialog. I do remember reading in a book or something that treasure can be found in waters, but not sure if I found the book anywhere near of related to the quest. So you would pretty much have to "run into it treasure hunting" without the arrows.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think it depends on the type of player. There are many games with riddles and puzzles and such where the whole point is to figure it out with clues. There's a bit of that gameplay in the dungeons, but I'm afraid you're right on the majority of "action adventure" players, who expect a more shooter style with knifing. But that is really the whole point of "missing mage". But yeah, there was this missing girl who was looking for herbs on an island, but she was at the bottom of a stream and there's no way you would be able to figure that out given the dialog. I do remember reading in a book or something that treasure can be found in waters, but not sure if I found the book anywhere near of related to the quest. So you would pretty much have to "run into it treasure hunting" without the arrows.

I think the solution is specific map quest markers or general location markers that can be turned off or on. I remember trying to find this person located at an alter up on top of the mountain. Even having the map marked it took me a while to figure out how to get up there. And I remember the guy who lives in an ice cave (with an little door) out north of the Mage college in the ice fields imagining finding him without a marker. :)

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I think the solution is specific map quest markers or general location markers that can be turned off or on. I remember trying to find this person located at an alter up on top of the mountain. Even having the map marked it took me a while to figure out how to get up there. And I remember the guy who lives in an ice cave (with an little door) out north of the Mage college in the ice fields imagining finding him without a marker. :)

thats what clairvoyance is for... in a few places it messes up, but in most places it works, and it shows the path you need to walk, including taking you to the paths up mountains. Makes it super easy even more so than the pointer itself.... but at least its "magic" that you are using to figure something out so it kind of fits in the story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.