Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_7_icon-250x249.jpg
As we get closer to the September 10th announcement of the new iPhone and the public launch of the next version of iOS, more details are leaking out regarding the new 5S and the rollout of iOS 7.

Mark Gurman at 9to5Mac, who has reported accurately in the past, published a lengthy post today sharing a number of tidbits that he has heard from his sources.

Gurman says there will be a fingerprint scanner built into the home button of the iPhone 5S, but it will not look significantly different from the current home button. He also says that Apple did not build the fingerprint scanner into early prototypes of the 5S, but instead tested the scanners in an external housing.

Previously, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has on a number of occasions offered accurate information on Apple's product plans, said the iPhone 5S may include a sapphire-covered home button with a convex shape to fit the fingerprint sensor. However, Gurman says the new home button will not be dramatically different:
The new Home button's design will not be noticeably convex. Perhaps the shape has changed slightly, but the tweaked button is nothing distinct enough for the iPhone 5S to be identified as anything but an iPhone 5 by the untrained eye. There's the possibility, however, that the etching and border of the Home button could become more shiny and look slightly different.
He says Apple is concerned about user privacy and security and, with very few iPhone owners using a passcode, the company is hoping the fingerprint scanner will help keep iPhones secure. The 5S will have an option to disable the fingerprint sensor, however.

When iOS 7 was first released to developers at WWDC back in June, Apple delayed the initial beta release for the iPad by several weeks. Gurman says the iPad version of iOS 7 continues to run behind the iPhone version, which remains the priority for Apple's engineers. As a result, he says Apple is considering a delay in the final release of iOS 7 for the iPad, perhaps holding it for release in late September or early October alongside the launch of updated iPad hardware.
Many developers have noted that the iOS 7 builds for iPad feel unstable and unreliable compared to the iPhone-optimized betas. The reason is that Apple started on iOS 7 for iPhone prior to building for the iPad.
Apple is also rumored to be working on iOS 7-specific training sessions for Apple Retail Stores, as the company is expecting some customers to be surprised by the new look-and-feel of the software and that they will need extra help.

Apple engineers are also "said to be working overtime" to ensure that iOS 7 runs smoothly on the iPhone 4 and that iOS 7 may be the last version of iOS to support the iPhone 4.

Finally, Gurman offers a few notes about future versions of iOS, including that Apple is hard at work on iOS 7.1 and it could include some iOS in the Car features. He notes that details are scarce regarding iOS 8, but he's heard about several projects "in development" at Apple:
We've heard that a Siri API, with restrictions to certain app categories (like weather, information, and news apps), has been considered in the past. Also in the works are advancements to iOS in the Car that could tie in an iPhone's camera to provide the car improved information about current road conditions. This could help with re-routing vehicles via the iOS Maps app
iOS 7 is scheduled for release in the fall of this year, with updates to Apple's iPhone and iPad lineups expected around the same time. If past history is any indication, iOS 7 should be made available to the public just a few days before the release of the next-generation iPhone.

Article Link: iPhone 5S Fingerprint Scanning Home Button to Look Nearly Identical, iOS 7 for iPad to Debut Later with New Hardware?

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
So many leaks...September 10th will be more of a confirmation than an actual announcement.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I didn't think that they'd change the home button. Though I do think that they should adjust the curvature on the home button square to match that of the new icon shape in iOS 7.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Whatever it takes to get the iPad version of iOS 7 to an acceptable level. It has performed far worse than its iPhone counterpart.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I really hate this 'Delayed release' crap! :mad:

I guess I'll have to get my hands on the GM for iPad.

And I wish I could stop depending on iTunes!

Last edited:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
He also says that Apple did not build the fingerprint scanner into early prototypes of the 5S, but instead tested the scanners in an external housing.

The article makes it seem like the fingerprint sensor is guaranteed, I don't see why they wouldn't test it in a 5S though, especially if the release is only weeks away. :confused:

Some guy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
I didn't think that they'd change the home button. Though I do think that they should adjust the curvature on the home button square to match that of the new icon shape in iOS 7.

Haven't apps on the iPhone, and the iOS logos as well, always been square with rounded corners?

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Don't know what they're talking about.. My 4th gen iPad running the latest iOS7 beta feels freakin' amazing. Battery life is amazing, it's fast, efficient, etc.. Works great!

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Sure hope the fingerprint detection works perfect. They must have an alternate way to unlock the phone if that fails?

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Audio-only FaceTime

Just noticed that iOS 7 support audio only facetime. I'm surprised this hasn't been publicized more. This will kill VoIP providers - you'll be able to call anyone for the cost of your network connection.

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
From the 9to5Mac article:

"According to Apple sources privy to customer usage data, a very small percentage of iPhone owners use a passcode."

Really? Most people can't even be bothered to use a 4-digit code? I guess I had been assuming that a basic passcode was pretty much the norm for a great majority of iPhone users.

macbd

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
iOS 7 is a train wreck on the iPad 2 at this point, so I think a delay for the iPad would be wise.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
One little nit, and I only bring it up because I've seen it a few times in Macrumors articles recently: Can you please stop using the grammatically incorrect and redundant statement: "past history"?

All history is past history. It's either "past experience" or just "history."

Saying "past history" is like saying "hot water heater."

ALR26

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
Apple is also rumored to be working on iOS 7-specific training sessions for Apple Retail Stores, as the company is expecting some customers to be surprised by the new look-and-feel of the software and that they will need extra help.

When will Samsung ever do this with their customers in mind. OOOPS, they don't support their customers or the OS they put on the device.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
From the 9to5Mac article:

"According to Apple sources privy to customer usage data, a very small percentage of iPhone owners use a passcode."

Really? Most people can't even be bothered to use a 4-digit code? I guess I had been assuming that a basic passcode was pretty much the norm for a great majority of iPhone users.

I know many iPhone owners who have kids who disabled the passcode so their kids can play games. And so the kids don't lock them out of their phone and wipe them by entering the wrong code over and over again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.