Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
id take a location based lock over a fingerprint sensor tbh. like keep it unlocked once u enter ur house or connect to a known wifi or something.

couldnt the thief easily fake it? your phone is usually covered in fingerprints (i may watch too much CSI)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
so much for Cook's plan on secrecy everyday we seem to be having more and more leaks and *****.

How would these sites survive if we didn't have leaks? And if people hate leaks why would they visit a site like this in the first place?

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Isn't audio only factime - just a phone call on speaker?

Seriously, don't quite get the excitmen about facetime audio only! Surely I may be missing something! Voice calls are made thorugh all sorts of Voip apps, not to mention that many people have more then they can use or unlimited national voice minutes on their pacage. Well, at least here in UK.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
I could see the inside of the square on the home button being convex but not the entire button. Something like this:

Attachments

• convex.jpg
    convex.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 226

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
"Doubling down", lol.

And why exactly are you on rumor sites if leaks/rumors bother you? Judging by your profile picture, I'm guessing you don't think Cook is doing a good job about leaks. Well, if there weren't so many people visiting leak sites (yourself included), then there wouldn't be so many of them. Its kinda hard to contain information when you have a population of half million people on the other side of the world assembling your product. However, he seems to be doing a pretty good job of secrecy for projects that ARE actually under his own eyes inside the Apple campus.

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
From the 9to5Mac article:

"According to Apple sources privy to customer usage data, a very small percentage of iPhone owners use a passcode."

Really? Most people can't even be bothered to use a 4-digit code? I guess I had been assuming that a basic passcode was pretty much the norm for a great majority of iPhone users.

I only put a passcode on when I'm traveling on the bus to questionable areas (Everett Station, downtown Seattle, the occasional trip to Portland, etc.)
Otherwise I keep my phone in my pocket at work, an I can't be bothered with a passcode at home.

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Will AAPL sell my fingerprint data linked to my identity to other company, PRISM, NSA, ETC. so they can identify me and trace me anytime i touch any of the camouflaged fingerprint readers they will hide all over door knobs, benches, taps, politician handshakes and toilet flushes ?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Will AAPL sell my fingerprint data and identity to other company, PRISM, NSA, ETC. so they can identify me anytime i touch any of the camouflaged fingerprint readers hidden all over door knobs, benches, taps, toilet flushes ?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'd imagine this is exactly Apple's idea. They are going to use the fingerprint sensor to identify you, FaceTime to see and listen to what you do, and GPS to see where you are. Oh, they are also going to sell that information to Santa Clause so he can more easily see whether you've been naughty or nice. :rolleyes:

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
Thats not how biometrics works. Things in real life are different than the movies.

But but but but but but but but... In the movies they did this one thing and then they got into the top secret facility!

I honestly expect a thief to have to cut your hand off and use that to get into your phone if they really wanted it THAT bad.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Seriously, don't quite get the excitmen about facetime audio only! Surely I may be missing something! Voice calls are made thorugh all sorts of Voip apps, not to mention that many people have more then they can use or unlimited national voice minutes on their pacage. Well, at least here in UK.

The benefit would be that you don't have to install/sign up for yet another VoIP app, basically. My family already uses FaceTime instead of normal calling, for the most part. FT audio would be more useful for calling relatives overseas - who we FT with anyway. But for times where you don't want a picture, well, there wasn't really a good way to do it.

It's mainly for the lazy. That doesn't mean I uninstall talkatone, skype, viber, etc. What it means is I don't need to get X, Y, or Z to install skype, viber, talkatone, etc on their iPhone.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
just noticed that ios 7 support audio only facetime. I'm surprised this hasn't been publicized more. This will kill voip providers - you'll be able to call anyone for the cost of your network connection.

FINALLY!!! Also, what ever happened to the home button being convex like that other rumor?

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
One little nit, and I only bring it up because I've seen it a few times in Macrumors articles recently: Can you please stop using the grammatically incorrect and redundant statement: "past history"?

All history is past history. It's either "past experience" or just "history."

Saying "past history" is like saying "hot water heater."

I hate when cashiers ask me to enter my PIN number when using debit.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Actually, I'd be more worried about being able to get past the fingerprint sensor. This is a device you hold in your hand for multiple minutes/hours a day. You're fingerprints are all over this thing. I would think if a thief steals your phone, and has even a modicum of smarts about how to get a fingerprint off your phone using a basic fingerprint kit which can be purchased at any spy shop type place, they could use that to bypass the sensor and unlock the phone.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it's not that easy, but I hope they've thought this through.

Spy Shop place? You live in Langley Virginia don't you? ;)

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
New on iPhone but this tech was previously available from WinMobile 5.1 devices, and some Androids (Motorola Atrix).

I Don't know why Android did't support it yet, worked well on moto Atrix and was very useful, I hope a much better OS integration on iOS7 with this tech would be great.

Also the fingerprint scanner maybe used to support "home button gestures", useful to back/forward Up/down Commands on different app contexts, and Precise Pointer control on the web browser.

Also the iPhone 5S/Ipads may include the same touchscreen sensor on the Galaxy S4 (which allows you to Hover w/o touch).

An Stronger and more reliable authentication it's mandatory to use some device as payment medium.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.