Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS gameplay capture platform Kamcord has announced it has secured over $1 million in funding and is introducing new features for users such as a community website to browse videos on the service and a new UI for developers allowing them to upload playlists and share videos, reports 9to5Mac. Other new features such as likes, comments, and user profiles on the service's website will begin to roll out in the coming weeks.

kamcord_ipad.png
We spoke with CEO Matt Zitzmann about some new features coming to the service today and he also filled us in on the progress the company has made since rolling out a new voice overlay feature back in June. Not only has the service reached an impressive 1 billion gameplay videos recorded (up from 500 million in June), Zitzmann also tells us the company is experiencing developers switching from rival in-game recording platforms due to a much higher rate of gameplay videos shared to social networks.
With its additional $1 million in funding, Kamcord now has total seed funding of $2.5 million, with investors such as Google Ventures, Y Combinator, and Merus Capital. The service currently supports over 70 games and offers its SDKs for free on its downloads page.

Article Link: iOS Gameplay Capture Platform Kamcord Secures Over $1 Million in Funding, Announces Community Features

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I'm curious - with the sandboxed nature of iOS, especially for 3rd party apps, how does an app like this even work? Or does it require a jailbroken device?

Fuzzi

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2009
I'm curious - with the sandboxed nature of iOS, especially for 3rd party apps, how does an app like this even work? Or does it require a jailbroken device?

it only works with games that include their framework

SamuraiSam213

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
Clarifying the confusion

Last I heard, they were live in over 115 games. Kamcord is an SDK. So developers integrate the SDK into their game which allows users to share the gameplay that's recorded.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
I guess I'm either confused or late to the game. Besides commercial uses ("Here's a walk through of how to beat King Koopa") what is the point of recording yourself playing a video game?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.