Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9Speed

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
EA have ruined countless gaming franchises (for me the biggest travesty is what they did with Command & Conquer). And let's not forget the DRM issues.

My hate of EA goes back to Ultima VIII and Ultima IX... EA took one of the best selling, most beloved, and groundbreaking series in computer history (up to that point, anyways) and absolutely destroyed it. The difference in quality between Ultima VII (Origin Systems) and Ultima VIII (EA) is mind blowing.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Another thing I noticed, and I don't know if its a bug or intentional, but when I move the cursor to the bottom edge of the screen to pan, if I hold it there long enough as I'm panning, the OS X Dock appears (I have it set to auto-hide on the MBP).

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
I was very cautious to download the game because of all the negative discussion online, but it's running perfectly fine on my laptop. I have a rMBP 15" (16GB RAM). I have the settings all on Medium or High and it's running well.

It's not the smoothest game I've ever played, but it's totally playable. After a few minutes of playtime, I'd say that I don't notice any lag or delay.

If you have a powerful system, it may be worth trying.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Another thing I noticed, and I don't know if its a bug or intentional, but when I move the cursor to the bottom edge of the screen to pan, if I hold it there long enough as I'm panning, the OS X Dock appears (I have it set to auto-hide on the MBP).

Same thing happens with corners for me as i have expose and dashboard set to hot corners. That seems to happen in most games tho, its very annoying.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Same thing happens with corners for me as i have expose and dashboard set to hot corners. That seems to happen in most games tho, its very annoying.

That stinks.

The MBP fans were going really fast, as they always do when I play a game like this. So I propped it up on a coaster so there was a gap between the bottom of the laptop and the table and then put a floor fan near it blowing the hot air away from the top and bottom of the laptop.

Even with that, the CPU temp was 208F.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010

I have my top right corner to put my mac asleep, so I had to disable it because everytime I would try to use edge scrolling it would shut down.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I have my top right corner to put my mac asleep, so I had to disable it because everytime I would try to use edge scrolling it would shut down.

Oh jeez that would be bad! Civilisation 5 also reacts to me mousing over the corners. I tend to play in windowed mode to avoid it.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I posted earlier on in this thread stating that I was cautious about buying the game. I purchased it form eBay for £24.99 and I am really enjoying it. Haven't had any problems at all.

It's the 1st SimCity game I've played so I can't compare it to the others, but as a new comer, I'm really enjoying it. No bugs etc and in my opinion worth the £24.99. :)

ebd.i.am

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Sacramento, CA
It's totally unplayable on my iMac (specs below), the amount of lag is terrible. Also, not being able to run at native resolution is a bummer.
I've played the PC version since launch and the performance is great. Go figure... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I posted earlier on in this thread stating that I was cautious about buying the game. I purchased it form eBay for £24.99 and I am really enjoying it. Haven't had any problems at all.

It's the 1st SimCity game I've played so I can't compare it to the others, but as a new comer, I'm really enjoying it. No bugs etc and in my opinion worth the £24.99. :)

Upon playing this game for around 5 hours, I must say I absolutely love it! No lag, no crashing, nothing. Very very happy with this purchase. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones? :D

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Upon playing this game for around 5 hours, I must say I absolutely love it! No lag, no crashing, nothing. Very very happy with this purchase. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones? :D

Between the Windows version and now the Mac version, I have about 30 hours into the game, according to the statistic I saw a few hours ago. Overall, between both versions, its played well for me. I had a few small glitches along the way, but nothing to get too upset about.

LincsBear

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2013
Disappointed

I checked the minimum specs for this version of SimCity, just to make sure everything would run well on my 2010 MacBook Pro. Satisfied that I was going to be ok I went ahead and bought the game today.

The very first thing that flashed up on the screen when I started the game was an apology from EA that, although I met the requirements, my video card was too slow and that the video settings had been set to the lowest possible options. This would allow me to play the game.

It looks appalling! I have not seen anything this bad since the days of early windows games. I would have been excited in 1990-somthing but it is not acceptable now. Raising the settings improved the graphics but made the redraw so slow that it is almost impossible to play.

If I had not checked that my Mac had the required spec I could blame myself but how can they give this spec and then tell you after you have bought the game that they have messed up.

I am now going to test the quality of Origin’s refund policy. Under the terms I should have no problem. I will let you know how it goes. :rolleyes:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I checked the minimum specs for this version of SimCity, just to make sure everything would run well on my 2010 MacBook Pro. Satisfied that I was going to be ok I went ahead and bought the game today.

The very first thing that flashed up on the screen when I started the game was an apology from EA that, although I met the requirements, my video card was too slow and that the video settings had been set to the lowest possible options. This would allow me to play the game.

It looks appalling! I have not seen anything this bad since the days of early windows games. I would have been excited in 1990-somthing but it is not acceptable now. Raising the settings improved the graphics but made the redraw so slow that it is almost impossible to play.

If I had not checked that my Mac had the required spec I could blame myself but how can they give this spec and then tell you after you have bought the game that they have messed up.

I am now going to test the quality of Origin’s refund policy. Under the terms I should have no problem. I will let you know how it goes. :rolleyes:

Just curious, when you loaded the game, were you on battery or AC?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Is this one of the bugs that they haven't fixed yet?

I have in progress an international airport and it requires alloy for production. One of my cities has smelting plants, ore factory's, trade depots, trade ports and all have delivery trucks, proper roads to connect them, and settings set to export to the airport.

However, the plants lots are full and have stopped production, while the trade ports/depots remain empty, not exporting anything.

Am I doing something wrong?

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Despite some of the negative comments about this game I think I might give it a go. Can anyone tell me if the Digital Deluxe version is worth getting? Or should I just get the Standard Edition?

Thanks!

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Despite some of the negative comments about this game I think I might give it a go. Can anyone tell me if the Digital Deluxe version is worth getting? Or should I just get the Standard Edition?

Thanks!

I've had no problems at all running this game on my mac. In my opinion, buy the standard version, make sure you like it, and then you an upgrade to the digital deluxe version from within the game.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I've had no problems at all running this game on my mac. In my opinion, buy the standard version, make sure you like it, and then you an upgrade to the digital deluxe version from within the game.

Oh, I didn't even know this was an option. Thanks for the tip!

Ondabeach

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2013
Miami
Speed on Windows vs. Mac

Ive been running Sim City on bootcamp under Windows 8 on my 2011 Macbook Air since it came out with about half of the settings on high and half on medium with antialiasing, at full resolution for my 11" Air. The game is very playable with these settings, and looks very nice, but it is just a little slow in moving around.

Running it on my same computer on the mac side the game is completely worthless and unplayable with the same settings. The fact of just setting the settings high almost cripples the computer while still on the settings screen. Unless I lower all settings to low it is unplayable, but then the graphics really suck. Obviously something is wrong in their programming if the same game on the same computer runs at such different speeds in windows vs mac or windows is extremely and exceedingly more efficient than mac.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
For anyone getting the issue with having to click multiple times on certain things to get it to work, Maxis say they are aware of the problem and are looking into it.

Hopefully theres a fix for this soon, its very annoying trying to upgrade roads at the moment.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
Keep trying. It will eventually open. EVENTUALLY. After more than 3 hours uninstalling and reinstalling origin on the Mavericks beta, it finally opened. I'm not closing it anytime soon. lol

What exactly did you do? I've been trying for days! It just get's stuck on "Permissions Required to Install Helper". It loops through it. It's annoying.

----------

Before Origin started continually crashing, it did that to me too. The weird thing is that when I ran it in Parallels on my computer it worked fine in mid graphic setting with a little lag. I thought that a native version would work better....I guess I thought wrong, or EA just sucks.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
For anyone getting the issue with having to click multiple times on certain things to get it to work, Maxis say they are aware of the problem and are looking into it.

Hopefully theres a fix for this soon, its very annoying trying to upgrade roads at the moment.

That's good news! It is quite annoying, as I mentioned yesterday, bulldozing abandoned buildings is where I notice it the most.

Would you happen to have any insight into this and be able to help me? https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17814444/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.