Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odonnelly99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Austin, TX
Hello all,

A few days ago, I purchased the current gen. rMBP (base 2.4, 8gb RAM, 256 SSD). I love it! It is, without a doubt, the best computer I've ever owned.

The one drawback: the 8gb of "forever-RAM" isn't going to cut it, especially not when I'm using it as a work machine.

Since I'm within my 14 day return window, I'd like to return it, and pay the $200 to exchange it for a model with 16gb RAM.

So, my question(s): Has anyone purchased—or hell, ever even seen—the base model with 16gb RAM sold in the apple retail stores? It seems like the only one the Apple Retail stores keep stocked is the 2.7/16/512 version.

Ordering it online and then doing an exchange/refund in store won't work, because I just do not have an extra $2400 in my bank account for Apple to float for a week or so : )

Now, I could return my rMBP in store. Wait to be reimbursed funds. Order new rMBP. Wait a few days, do in-store pickup. This option is doable, but it's still problematic, since I would be completely computer-less for at least a week.

Anyone have any recommendations? Other than "be less poor."

I hope what I wrote is coherent. If it's not, please inform me politely. It's nearly 4am. I can't sleep. My little dachshund is sleeping inside the rMBP box. Think about how cute that is before you write anything snide ; )

Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My only recommendation is to call the apple store where you bought it and see if they have any of the 16GB models in stock. If not then you have your answer and what you need to do - return/buy online.

~Achilles~

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
Unlikely. I was told at the store they only keep certain models in store.

Lowest: Base spec/Lowest storage
Medium: Base spec/256gb
Highest: Highest spec/storage, etc.

You'll need to order it custom made and wait for it to be built i think.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
^^They may have a 16GB model, just not in the same exact configuration. It can't hurt to call :)

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
So, my question(s): Has anyone purchased—or hell, ever even seen—the base model with 16gb RAM sold in the apple retail stores? It seems like the only one the Apple Retail stores keep stocked is the 2.7/16/512 version.
Easiest way to answer your question is to hit the Apple Store site, configure a machine the way you want, then see whether it is available for immediate pick-up (i.e., in stock) at a retail Apple Store near you. That's how I located a 15" rMBP 16/512.

FWIW, I doubt you'll find a BTO 16GB machine in stock, but if you want one, go ahead and return your current MBP and wait for the new one to be built/shipped to your store (or return it, and wait another week to see whether the Haswells are announced on 9/10).

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Since I'm within my 14 day return window, I'd like to return it, and pay the $200 to exchange it for a model with 16gb RAM.

Well there you go then.

I don't understand posts like these. :confused: Why go through such a lengthy plea for help in a forum with people you don't know when the obvious answer is to simply call those with the solution (i.e., the Apple Store).

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Well there you go then.

I don't understand posts like these. :confused: Why go through such a lengthy plea for help in a forum with people you don't know when the obvious answer is to simply call those with the solution (i.e., the Apple Store).

Why go through a lengthy plea to point out someone went through a lengthy plea for help on the forum?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Why go through a lengthy plea to point out someone went through a lengthy plea for help on the forum?
Why counteract a lengthy plea complaining about a lengthy plea with another lengthy plea? :confused:

Note: I can do this as long as you can. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.