Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
The compass app has returned? Thought they got rid of it?

Also, how confusing that there's a compass app but safari's icon is a compass...

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
Yay, more data for the NSA ;)

if you've gotten a US passport in the past 8 years, the NSA already has your fingerprint.

i'm a privacy nerd, but fingerprints by themselves means as much as a social security number: it's arbitrary until you use it for important matters... meaning, as long as you don't use iCloud, you have an "out".

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Apple has always taken existing technology, and just made it better. People didn't know how to do touchscreens right until Apple did them. Even then people were skeptical (remember all those android phones with physical keyboards?)

Once Apple shows everyone how to do fingerprint scanning, others will follow suit.

I agree that apple has a wonderful way of taking things that have been done before and make it simple and easy to use. And also make it very popular as well.

I was just responding to the poster that apparently thinks that if another phone were to have it, somehow it is copying apple when in fact apple is copying Motorola with a fingerprint scanner (touch id)

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
I'm just curious if this is the only improvement... I hope it's not because this isn't really amazing or impressive... However when the keynote launches, I will be sold on it :) as always...

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
This image looks fake to me. The "Lightning connector" text seems to be slanted compared to the iPhone image.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Looking forward to Jonathan Ive explaining the new silver ring design in upcoming 5s introduction video.

"...never before have we built a product with such an extraordinary silver ring!"

Ha ha... yes... and its not just made of silver, but some special alloy that Apple brought back from the mining days that helps condition the skin around your fingerprint to somehow read better. You know it does. :)

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
For anyone complaining or worried about the "dangers" of the fingerprint sensor that will grab your fingerprint or data, you're dumb. If you want to worry about your data, then your iPhone has much more worthy stuff you need to worry about first.

Your iPhone has 2 cameras that you never know when they'll take a photo, 3 microphones that could be listening to you at any moment, web browsing apps that could grab all your web history and passwords and upload it to some server, chatting apps like What'sApp or Facebook Messenger or Snapchat that will take all your private conversations between you and your friends including all pictures, videos, and soundclips are all already uploaded to their cloud servers.

So trust me, a fingerprint scanner is the least of your worries. :)

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
LG done it years ago so Apple are way behind. LG should sue ;)

Yep, except nobody cares about LG, In fact I would imagine nobody would care if LG disappeared into a black hole forever.

When someone mentions (as they always do) that company x did so and so years ago, nobody cares. Honestly literally NOBODY cares at all. Not one little bit. Nothing. People care when a relevant and popular company does it.

EDIT: Oh and yes, the silver ring around the home button looks lovely on the silver and white iPhone.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
When someone mentions (as they always do) that company x did so and so years ago, nobody cares. Honestly literally NOBODY cares at all. Not one little bit. Nothing. People care when a relevant and popular company does it.

True. So when Samsung and HTC get fingerprint scanners, then the world will start to listen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.