Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
It's still $49 for those that have AppleCare Plus (before) even when this new plan goes into effect. That's the point I'm making. But if I break my iPhone 5 and they ask me if I want AppleCare Plus. Then I will say yes and I will then be entitled to pay the $79 now.

How do you know it'll still be $49? I sure hope it is cause that's what I signed up for.... I've been sitting on a cracked (but useable) iphone 5 that I'm intending to have swapped with my AC+ warranty as soon as the 5s comes out. I will be REALLY mad if I call and they try to tell me it'll be $79. I've bought 3 AC+ extended warranties on 3 iOS devices and I've never had a claim.

I just wonder if you read that somewhere or what....

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn
For those who already have it on an iPhone 5, it would still just be $49 to replace though, right?

I work for them and I cannot confirm that it is still $49 .

It is my understanding as well as my co-workers that it is increased to $79.00 across the board.

I wish I had better information, but as far as I know, it is now $79 per incident for everyone.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011

It is my understanding as well as my co-workers that it is increased to $79.00 across the board.

I wish I had better information, but as far as I know, it is now $79 per incident for everyone.

Bummer.... Kinda BS that they would do that.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

Sorry to say but you're going to have to deal with a lot of hate. I bought AppleCare+ because of the $49 two times replacement. I they increased the price I bet there's a class action lawsuit a'comin'.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Sorry to say but you're going to have to deal with a lot of hate. I bought AppleCare+ because of the $49 two times replacement. I they increased the price I bet there's a class action lawsuit a'comin'.

Agreed. I would not have bought it had I known. Between AC+ and an expensive, nice case... AC+ came in slightly more economical for me. Wouldn't have been so had I known it was going to be $79.

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn
Agreed. I would not have bought it had I known. Between AC+ and an expensive, nice case... AC+ came in slightly more economical for me. Wouldn't have been so had I known it was going to be $79.

I hear ya.

I have AC+ on my iPhone 5 as well.

If I find out anything different, I will let everyone know.

There hasn't been any "official" news released about existing plans yet.

So the current assumption is that is has went up across the board.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
I hear ya.

I have AC+ on my iPhone 5 as well.

If I find out anything different, I will let everyone know.

There hasn't been any "official" news released about existing plans yet.

So the current assumption is that is has went up across the board.

Doubt that is true for the older plan. You bought the older plan, the contract they send has the details including replacement cost. It will apply for new plans.
Go read the warranty.

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn
Doubt that is true for the older plan. You bought the older plan, the contract they send has the details including replacement cost. It will apply for new plans.
Go read the warranty.

Here is the warranty:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

http://images.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplus_us_tc.pdf

- Under AppleCare+ for iPhone, you will pay a $79 (U.S.) dollar (CA$79) service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim.
- Under AppleCare+ for iPad, you will pay a $49 (U.S.) dollar (CA$49) service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim.
- Under AppleCare+ for iPod, you will pay a $29 (U.S.) dollar (CA$29) service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I can repurchase AppleCare Plus again to get the two accidental damages when I go in for a replacement iPhone 5.

No you can't. You get to buy apple care plus once. Total, two years from date of our purchase, if you use up your two times you pay the full replacement costs on all further damage

josh.ua

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
You only have the option of adding AppleCare+ A) at the time of purchase B) within the first 30 days of purchase at an Apple Store or C) at the time of your *first* incident within the first year. If you pay $149 to replace the display, you are not offered the choice to buy AppleCare+. If you decide to pay $229 to replace the whole phone, you can add AppleCare+ for $49. If you decline and drop your phone again you do not have the option of adding it anymore. If you don't drop it till a year after purchase, even if it is your first incident you do not have the option if adding it. That is how it is currently.

As for the new plan, the increased service fee probably comes from the more expensive display cost since it incorporates the Touch ID sensor. Like the other apple employee, I have not heard anything official but my guess is that they will let everyone with AppleCare+ currently to continue to pay the $49 fee but for any future iPhone purchases, it will be $79. I also think the non-AppleCare+ fee will go up too so you're still saving the same amount of money by buying AppleCare+. Ex: currently with AppleCare+ it is $49 to replace a cracked display or a liquid danger phone. Without it, it's $149 for the display or $229 for the phone. My guess is that the new cost without AppleCare+ will be $179/$199 for the display or $249/$279 for the whole phone. This is just my guess because it makes the most sense to me.

Lastly, you can't just swap out the phone with AppleCare+ if it's cracked. Apple's new philosophy is they they will "fix" the issue chasing your phone to not work. That means if the only thing wrong is a cracked display, they will replace the display. If the enclosure is bent or split, or if the phone has liquid damage, then they will replace the whole phone.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
You only have the option of adding AppleCare+ A) at the time of purchase B) within the first 30 days of purchase at an Apple Store or C) at the time of your *first* incident within the first year. If you pay $149 to replace the display, you are not offered the choice to buy AppleCare+. If you decide to pay $229 to replace the whole phone, you can add AppleCare+ for $49. If you decline and drop your phone again you do not have the option of adding it anymore. If you don't drop it till a year after purchase, even if it is your first incident you do not have the option if adding it. That is how it is currently.

As for the new plan, the increased service fee probably comes from the more expensive display cost since it incorporates the Touch ID sensor. Like the other apple employee, I have not heard anything official but my guess is that they will let everyone with AppleCare+ currently to continue to pay the $49 fee but for any future iPhone purchases, it will be $79. I also think the non-AppleCare+ fee will go up too so you're still saving the same amount of money by buying AppleCare+. Ex: currently with AppleCare+ it is $49 to replace a cracked display or a liquid danger phone. Without it, it's $149 for the display or $229 for the phone. My guess is that the new cost without AppleCare+ will be $179/$199 for the display or $249/$279 for the whole phone. This is just my guess because it makes the most sense to me.

Lastly, you can't just swap out the phone with AppleCare+ if it's cracked. Apple's new philosophy is they they will "fix" the issue chasing your phone to not work. That means if the only thing wrong is a cracked display, they will replace the display. If the enclosure is bent or split, or if the phone has liquid damage, then they will replace the whole phone.

This is what I was trying to say and I had a few errors in my responses but thanks for clarifying :D

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn

Agreed.

It has probably increased due to the more complex parts of the new iPhones.
AC+ is only offered within the first 30 days of purchase and the device must be damage-free.

As soon as I receive a damage call on an AC+ account, I will be able to confirm if it has increased for people who already have it.

As an alternate, you can call AppleCare and ask to speak with Agreement Admin, and ask them if you have to pay the old/new fee.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Here is the warranty:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

http://images.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplus_us_tc.pdf

- Under AppleCare+ for iPhone, you will pay a $79 (U.S.) dollar (CA$79) service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim.
- Under AppleCare+ for iPad, you will pay a $49 (U.S.) dollar (CA$49) service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim.
- Under AppleCare+ for iPod, you will pay a $29 (U.S.) dollar (CA$29) service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim.

Yes that's the current plan. But you need to look at an older plan. The one I got with my iPhone 5. It says $49 fee with accidental damage

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Extended warranties are always a rip.

----------

Your money wasn't technically wasted, it was really wasted. All extended warranties are grossly overpriced. I get more peace of mind knowing that I haven't wasted the money.

This is a generalization. No, not ALL "extended warranties" are a rip off or grossly overpriced. Apple care has saved my ass from thousands of dollars of expense EVERY time I've had it. As soon as the iPhones switched to AppleCare+ it became not worth it to ME, but I know several teenagers that benefitted immensely. Now it has even less value, that's true.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011

see, to me, another crock... I live over an hour from any apple retail store. I bought the AC+ warranty on 3 devices for two reasons:

1. It comes to $150 to replace my phone ($100 for the warranty and $50 for the first "oops"). A really really good element case or otherwise is nearly as expensive... (not that I would ever buy one of those, but for comparison's sake). To me, it was economically more reasonable to be able to carry my phone w/o case and take my chances knowing I have a warranty to fall back on.

2. Advance replacement. Referring back -- I live over an hour from the nearest apple retail store. When I read that AC+ would do an Advance Replacement of the device, I was sold. Beats driving over 2 hours to get my phone "fixed". I do have a chip in my screen but the phone is useable. I also have a relaly banged up chasis and I bet if I wait another month, the sleep/wake button will flake like on my launch-day phone. Point is, how many things need to be wrong for an "Advance replacemnt" to happen? Cause if they're not going to replace it thru the mail, I might as well NOT buy AC+.

funnyboy88

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Dudes, out if warranty replacement for an iPhone 5 is $269. Source:
http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

Let's say you get caught in the rain once.
Without AppleCare+: $269
With AppleCare+: $99 initial + $79 fee = $78
That's a savings of $91.

Let's say 14 months in, your home button stops clicking.
Without AppleCare+: $269
With AppleCare+: $99 + no service fee
That's a savings of $170.

So AppleCare will save you some money. It's not as good of a deal, but it is still cost effective.

If you want your credit card company to replace your device, how does it work? Do you get the service done at the Genius Bar, pay, and then get reimbursed later by the credit card company? I'm curious to learn about AppleCare alternatives.

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn
$79 incident fee is for NEW plans only.

Just got official word today that those who already have AC+ will remain on their original plan and will only have to pay $49.

Last edited:

twoehr

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
East Coast US
I too am disappointed by the increase from $49 to $79 for an "accidental" damage replacement, but not surprised. Recently when I had my phone in for battery issues I was told that it was "normal wear" and not covered under the extended warranty, so I'd have to pay $79 for a battery replacement. According to the Genius when the AC+ was originally sold it was very common for people to not realize, and for salespeople to not mention, that "worn" batteries are not covered. Luckily my phone had other issues that required a complete replacement at no charge.

When it comes to my next purchase, a 5s, I will check into the options my credit cards provided, as I think I was more lucky than wise in needing AC+. I will miss though using no case and no screen protector if it comes to that.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Let me break this down to you.

I break my iPhone 5. I take it to Apple. Apple asks me do you want this iPhone 5 to be replaced. I say yes. They bring me out a replacement for $229. They ask me right when they give me a replacement whether I want AppleCare Plus or not. I say "Yes" or "No". I'm covered for a year with two accidental damages. If I use up my two accidental damages. I can repurchase AppleCare Plus again to get the two accidental damages when I go in for a replacement iPhone 5.

This happens. Don't tell me otherwise because I've had my iPhone 5 break twice already.

Jesus.

It's still $49 for those that have AppleCare Plus (before) even when this new plan goes into effect. That's the point I'm making. But if I break my iPhone 5 that already has AppleCare Plus and they ask me if I want AppleCare Plus on my replacement iPhone 5, then I will say yes and I will then be entitled to pay the $79 now.

I understood what you were saying originally, but sometimes people get confused.

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn
I too am disappointed by the increase from $49 to $79 for an "accidental" damage replacement, but not surprised. Recently when I had my phone in for battery issues I was told that it was "normal wear" and not covered under the extended warranty, so I'd have to pay $79 for a battery replacement. According to the Genius when the AC+ was originally sold it was very common for people to not realize, and for salespeople to not mention, that "worn" batteries are not covered. Luckily my phone had other issues that required a complete replacement at no charge.

When it comes to my next purchase, a 5s, I will check into the options my credit cards provided, as I think I was more lucky than wise in needing AC+. I will miss though using no case and no screen protector if it comes to that.

Worn batteries are normal as batteries deplete over time.
For AC+ to cover it, the capacity of the Covered Equipment’s battery to hold an electrical charge has to have depleted fifty (50%) percent or more from its original specifications

leetnyc01

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
Before the announcement an iPhone Out of Warranty replacement was 229USD, now if you go to the pricing page, it is 269USD. Does this seem odd to others that they've increased the replacement cost rather than reduce it as with previous models whenever they come out with a new version?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
This is a generalization. No, not ALL "extended warranties" are a rip off or grossly overpriced. Apple care has saved my ass from thousands of dollars of expense EVERY time I've had it. As soon as the iPhones switched to AppleCare+ it became not worth it to ME, but I know several teenagers that benefitted immensely. Now it has even less value, that's true.

It's an entirely accurate generalization. Extended warranties are notoriously overpriced. They are some of the most profitable products offered by any company that sells them. This is why we are so often pressured to buy them. They are not trying to do us a favor.

The costs to consumers associated with extended warranties are very well documented. Your anecdotes are not proof or even evidence to the contrary.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Just got official word today that those who already have AC+ will remain on their original plan and will only have to pay $49.

Of course, as I said the previous warranty said it was $49.

I have had issues an AppleCare + has not helped at all(overheating 4S and they acted like this was no issue. called Applecare+ and they said make another appt and go back, WTF). I have not been happy with my treatment, I think I will pass on it this time.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood

Wonder if somebody is gonna start a class action if this is true lol.

txaggie96

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
Worn batteries are normal as batteries deplete over time.
For AC+ to cover it, the capacity of the Covered Equipment’s battery to hold an electrical charge has to have depleted fifty (50%) percent or more from its original specifications

I went in last week to claim a worn battery for my 4S and he told me, "Yep, your battery is shot, but AC+ doesn't cover batteries at all."

Fortunately I also have the overheating 4S issue, but in my case there was no denying it because the heat has damaged the pixels of the screen. They were able to apply the AC+ (deductible free) for the screen.

Seems kind of silly though that AC+ doesn't cover batteries since I theoretically could just go outside and "accidentally" drop my phone until it breaks and pay a cheaper price then the battery replacement charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.