Apple Increases AppleCare+ iPhone Service Charges, Adds iPods, Expands to New Countries

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 10, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following the announcement of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c today at its media event, Apple has made changes to its AppleCare+ service program for the iPhone, including raising service fees for accidental damage from $49 to $79, with the cost for the plan itself remaining at $99 to provide two years of coverage from the device purchase date.

Apple is also expanding availability of AppleCare+ beyond the United States, Canada, and Japan, with the program now also being offered in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Austria, Germany, France, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, and the UK.

[​IMG]
    Addtionally, Apple is now offering AppleCare+ coverage for the existing iPod touch and iPod classic models, and will also be dropping service protection for its "Earpods" headphones from the program.

[​IMG]
    AppleCare+ originally launched in 2011 and covered accidental iPhone damage for the first time for all iPhone models. Late last month, a report surfaced that AppleCare+ would be expanding to Europe.

Article Link: Apple Increases AppleCare+ iPhone Service Charges, Adds iPods, Expands to New Countries

2. macrumors 65816

musika

And now it's not worth it.

3. macrumors regular

Will stick with my Amex coverage

4. macrumors 603

quagmire

$257< $458.

It's still less than what it costs to drop and break the iPhone twice and get it replaced.

5. macrumors 6502a

For those who already have it on an iPhone 5, it would still just be $49 to replace though, right?

6. macrumors 6502

Yup. It's gone once you use up the two accidental replacements and you have to renew, then only will it become the $79. Glad I have one $49 replacement left.

7. macrumors regular

Yeah, I just had my 4S replaced out of warranty and my Amazon Visa extended warranty service paid for it. I've never bought AppleCare and never plan to.

8. macrumors 6502

It may be less expensive than getting two phones replaced, but still not worth it if you actually take care of your phone.

Especially not worth it after the last two times I tried to get a NON-incidental damage problem (i.e., defective hardware) covered under Apple Care+. Not sure if it's Cook, but Apple has been super stingy the last several years with the way they deal with hardware issues.

9. macrumors 603

quagmire

Warranties, accident coverage, etc are never worth it if you end up never using it. But, it's peace of mind that even if I only drop my phone once it's still cheaper than the $229 replacement fee. If you use it twice, the value of it increases big time.

I spent $250 on AppleCare for my MBP. Never had to use it. So technically that $250 was wasted and not worth it.

10. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Extended warranties are always a rip.

----------

Your money wasn't technically wasted, it was really wasted. All extended warranties are grossly overpriced. I get more peace of mind knowing that I haven't wasted the money.

11. macrumors G4

daneoni

More fleecing.

12. macrumors 603

quagmire

It's less wasted than for those who don't get the student discount and have to pay the full $349!

13. macrumors newbie

Maybe I missed it, but with the iPhone 5 being discontinued, does this have any impact on our AppleCare+ replacements? Meaning, if I have an issue with my 5, if I have to pay the $49 for the replacement, will I still get a refurb 5 or new 5? Not a 5c or 5s?

14. macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Wow. Bad choice Apple. Bad Choice.

15. macrumors 6502a

I hope they still let you buy the old $69 AppleCare via telesales.

16. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

True, but fortunately nobody has to pay anything. It's really just a choice as to how much you are prepared to throw down the rat hole.

17. macrumors newbie

similarily, does that mean that you will still get an iPhone 5 as a replacement?

I read the 5 is being discountinued. You don't think the accidental replacement will be a 5C right? That would blow

18. macrumors member

Do you need to have bought the phone at full price or does it work with 'subsidized' price as well?

19. macrumors regular

Funny how they didn't 'announce' that today,haha! Guess a lot of people have been dropping their phones.

Extended warranty is what is is, value and piece of mind for some, a waste of money for others. I'm not 100% for or against it, and do have it on some products (apple or other), all depends on the product, cost, and how I end up using it.

Too bad we can't get an automatic 2 year warranty as they were forced to give in Europe!

20. macrumors G3

charlituna

You can't renew.

And the article is wrong. It's one additional year, not two.

21. macrumors demi-god

That only covers accidental damage during the first 90 days, no?

22. macrumors G3

charlituna

Not really sure what you mean by stingy. Unless you mean that they stopped just handing everyone with a complaint a replacement but now fix what is actually wrong by replacing broken speakers, cameras, batteries etc. And not replacing stuff that is software or carrier issues. Which has always been in the terms you agreed to they just hadn't been enforcing it.

23. macrumors 6502

It's still $49 for those that have AppleCare Plus (before) even when this new plan goes into effect. That's the point I'm making. But if I break my iPhone 5 and they ask me if I want AppleCare Plus. Then I will say yes and I will then be entitled to pay the $79 now.

24. rickdollar, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

macrumors 6502

If you break your phone and you do not already have AC+ on it, you will not be offered AC+. You will pay the replacement cost of about $229 or possibly less if they repair it in-store.

25. macrumors 6502

Let me break this down to you.

I break my iPhone 5. I take it to Apple. Apple asks me do you want this iPhone 5 to be replaced. I say yes. They bring me out a replacement for $229. They ask me right when they give me a replacement whether I want AppleCare Plus or not. I say "Yes" or "No". I'm covered for a year with two accidental damages. If I use up my two accidental damages. I can repurchase AppleCare Plus again to get the two accidental damages when I go in for a replacement iPhone 5.

This happens. Don't tell me otherwise because I've had my iPhone 5 break twice already.

Jesus.