Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
The problem is you should probably make Frank Sinatra station if you want to hear Tony Bennett :D.

I would only expect Apple radio to improve over time.

No the Frank Sinatra station only plays Led Zeppelin.
To hear Tony Bennett you use the Herman's Hermits station.

But seriously it has a down vote button like Pandora I hope?If so down voting Francis enough times would hopefully remove him.

----------

Please tell me there is web access to iTunes Radio? Ie. Pandora.com. If not, I say failure big time. I hate being locked into the iTunes app, even though there's a Windows version.

Pretty sure you have to use iTunes,sorry.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
...Pretty sure you have to use iTunes,sorry.

Then no iTunes Radio for me. Browser based is king! The browser technology is very mature. When is Apple going to realize we're no longer in the '90s?

Clarification: I'm talking browser based for Mac/PC desktop. Native iTunes app for mobile devices is great!

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
Design and no major functionality changes, that's Ive.

Consider the fact that he is indeed a human trying to head two very important departments of one of the worlds biggest company, and direct the complete redesign of iOS, while still adding features. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but could you do better than him?

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
God, you guys complain so much. Unless you've used this iOS for months now, don't sit here and say this is wrong and this is wrong. Trust in the company that you've invested in and download it today and try it out FOR YOURSELF for a few days. If you don't like it, head back over to iOS 6 AND I promise I'll end up seeing you back on the 7 side not shortly after.

-Adam

Trust the company who brought us Apple Maps?

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I wonder if any reviewers (or trolls) will pretend WWDC wasn't packed with thousands of meaty under-the-hood improvements, which will show up to the user as app functionality?

A review of the looks and UI alone is half a review.

These people come from the same genius school of thought that says massive internal improvements result in "the exact same phone."

Akaba

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Then no iTunes Radio for me. Browser based is king! The browser technology is very mature. When is Apple going to realize we're no longer in the '90s?

Clarification: I'm talking browser based for Mac/PC desktop. Native iTunes app for mobile devices is great!

Could anyone compare how much bandwith you "eat" by listening to the radio through a browser rather than through iTunes? It's just that I hate it when a website overloads me with pictures, pop-ups and suggestions I don't want ... still I have to wait fot them to download ... Even if I wouldn't have to wait: I don't want that junk.
Anyway, I'll welcome iTunes Radio as soon as it is available in my area. And with iTunes Match, no commercial messages (that's what I understood) ... so an improvement for me.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
"You'll get used to it" is a really bad excuse! Apple designs used to awe by its first impression.

Agreed. I think we are starting to see the real impact Jobs had when it came to tweaking product details to death to be as aesthetically perfect as possible right out of the box.

But the troubling thing is that none of us are of Jobs' caliber yet we all see the problems human factor and aesthetic flaws of iOS7. It's like Ive is the emperor in the Emperor's New Clothes and no one at Apple is brave enough to criticize him -- even Cook, or maybe Cook is too much of a bean counter to know the difference between good and bad design to comment. I don't know.

----------

Please tell me there is web access to iTunes Radio? Ie. Pandora.com. If not, I say failure big time. I hate being locked into the iTunes app, even though there's a Windows version.

Haven't seen it and seriously doubt it. iTunes is an integrated app so strategically it makes no sense to have a separate web site since iTunes isn't really on the web except as a way to link you back to the app. And I doubt it will fail because most people don't really care. I don't even buy songs from iTunes -- mostly Amazon -- and it doesn't bother me at all. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

iTunes radio will fail if its not at least as good as Pandora. But in my use so far it's not been off the mark playing decent tunes and non-obtrusive ads.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
I just came back in here to say that I've been listening to iTunes Radio all day and it surprised the hell out of me with a song from a Japanese band :p

I'm really digging iTunes Radio right now...

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Have you used Apple Maps on iOS 7?

Not yet. But here we are again... Where's the web interface to Apple Maps? I say complete failure if no web interface. When I'm at my desktop, Mac or PC, I'd much rather use my browser than my tiny iPhone screen - especially since Apple obviously doesn't believe in large iPhone displays. How do they not understand the phrase, "size matters"?

adampol15

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
Not yet. But here we are again... Where's the web interface to Apple Maps? I say complete failure if no web interface. When I'm at my desktop, Mac or PC, I'd much rather use my browser than my tiny iPhone screen - especially since Apple obviously doesn't believe in large iPhone displays. How do they not understand the phrase, "size matters"?

Last edited:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I've been using iOS7 for a week now. There are lots of great new features, but -- and I hate to sound cliche-ish -- Steve Jobs would not have approved the GM.

you do realize youre transforming jobs from an actual person into a mythical oracle of UI, right? jobs released lots of crappy stuff. the imac mouse? ping? ipod socks? etc...

nobody knows what he would or wouldnt do, because hes dead. anything is a guess. end of story.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Trust the company who brought us Apple Maps?

If you're going to engage in irrelevant comparisons, why not the Newton?

Apple is renowned for their user interface design expertise, on a variety of platforms going back decades, and you choose to compare the latest update of their very, very successful mobile OS to an app that caused consternation with a few, very vocal (as typical), people at launch (which they immediately leapt into action to resolve)?? Really? Whatever.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
you do realize youre transforming jobs from an actual person into a mythical oracle of UI, right? jobs released lots of crappy stuff. the imac mouse? ping? ipod socks? etc...

nobody knows what he would or wouldnt do, because hes dead. anything is a guess. end of story.

Did I say or even hint Jobs was perfect or godly or Midas-like? You are the one transforming my simple statement into something much larger.

What I explicitly wrote was Jobs would not have approved the iOS7 GM based on font size, readability, basic human factors flaws because he excelled at picking out that kind of stuff according to those who new him -- not necessarily liked him -- well, and also was especially nitpicky in those areas. The latter is a well known fact. Today, it seems, based on iOS7, there is no one at Apple to question Ive on his design choices and could use an in-house critic that Jobs was to him. Please don't read anything into what I wrote other than the words on your screen in order to fit some narrative in your own mind.

And yes, it's a guess, but an educated one based on all the stories told about him with how he approached other GUIs and products. Change doesn't happen over night. A dead wolf would have eaten a chicken over a bowl of strawberries if it were still alive. Not too hard of a guess.

Last edited:

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm not impressed. My wife and I bought our first Apple products earlier this year, and we bought a LOT of them. I was fine with iOS 6, and thought iOS 7 was going to be like Christmas (today's my birthday :D ). I agree with everything Chupa Chupa posted. The thin, lightly colored symbols are something that I might get used to, but there was nothing in iOS 6 that I had to get used to. My wife's iPad Mini had a really nice pic of wildflowers as wallpaper, but the new icons looked ridiculous on top of it. I changed it over to the wallpaper that Apple has been showing in their ads......:rolleyes:

I do like the single finger swipe for the control panel, but I miss iOS 6 otherwise.

Last edited:

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
iTunes Radio is surprisingly impressive given its official launch today.

I don't know if it's because I don't have iTunes Match, but I can't favorite or blacklist songs.

What I can easily compare with Pandora is that the song quality is superb over Pandora without a subscription.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.