Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harisss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Hello guys,

I'm a student who's looking for the "right" MBA.

I'll be using the air for word, excel, browsing etc. (nothing big) - beside mac os I also need parallels with windows where I only will use MathCad - a mathematical programme.

So... What air would be right? Do I need 8 gb ram and the i7 processor for my tasks? The 256 ssd or 128 gb? I think i would go for the 256 - but should i upgrade the processor and ram? Or just ram? By looking at my needs: what would be the right solution cause I don't want to waste money on luxurious

I need some help guys - :confused:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My advice, get the 8gb of ram, since it soldered onto the logic board and you'll not be able to upgrade later.

Secondly get the 256GB especially since you mention loading windows. Running both OSX and windows will get a bit tight on 128gb. Maybe not on day 1, but as time goes buy.

You'll not notice any performance increase with the i7, so you can stick with the i5 imo

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My advice, get the 8gb of ram, since it soldered onto the logic board and you'll not be able to upgrade later.

Secondly get the 256GB especially since you mention loading windows. Running both OSX and windows will get a bit tight on 128gb. Maybe not on day 1, but as time goes buy.

You'll not notice any performance increase with the i7, so you can stick with the i5 imo

That is very good advice and I'd go along with it. The i7 is not as important as extra RAM; likewise, a larger capacity SSD is a lot more useful, and you will find that you will need it as time goes by.

m98custom1212

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Toledo, Ohio
Hello guys,

I'm a student who's looking for the "right" MBA.

I'll be using the air for word, excel, browsing etc. (nothing big) - beside mac os I also need parallels with windows where I only will use MathCad - a mathematical programme.

So... What air would be right? Do I need 8 gb ram and the i7 processor for my tasks? The 256 ssd or 128 gb? I think i would go for the 256 - but should i upgrade the processor and ram? Or just ram? By looking at my needs: what would be the right solution cause I don't want to waste money on luxurious

I need some help guys - :confused:

I use mathcad all the time. The macbook air is perfect lightweight, mobile solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.