Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple retail stores have now begun offering a Personal Pickup option for the iPhone 5s through its online purchase page, allowing customers to see store availability for each model and place orders for in-store pickup.

The move comes after Apple quickly sold out of its initial iPhone 5s online order stock following its launch on Friday, with shipping estimates in the United States falling to October.

In-store pickup is also available for the iPhone 5c, although that device has seen much better availability than the iPhone 5s.

iphone_5s_store_availability.jpg

Apple cited "incredible" demand for the new iPhones in the hours after the launch, acknowledging shortages of iPhone 5s models. Gold models in particular have been more popular than Apple predicted, with the company reportedly boosting production of those models by one-third.

The iPhone 5s was announced alongside the lower-cost iPhone 5c at a media event last month, and includes features such as the new “Touch ID” fingerprint sensor, a 64-bit A7 chip, and a new iSight camera with a dual-LED “True Tone” flash.

Update: As noted by 9to5Mac, the ability to place orders for in-store pickup and check store availability is also available in the Apple Store iOS app.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores Launch In-Store Pickup Option for iPhone 5s and 5c with Availability Listings

Last edited:

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
How early every morning will they be updating these?

It would be good to know before driving over to my local Apple store.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
This is really only needed for the 5s. I wonder what the sales numbers for the 5c are. We probably will never know because Apple won't release any breakdown unless 5c sales are also huge.

arom

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
How early every morning will they be updating these?

It would be good to know before driving over to my local Apple store.

From what I hear this gets updated every night at 10:00PM. Question is how often during the day the update it.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Not set up very well. If you choose a phone and it's not available, you have to go right back to the beginning. No love in Albany either (64GB).

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
This is really only needed for the 5s. I wonder what the sales numbers for the 5c are. We probably will never know because Apple won't release any breakdown unless 5c sales are also huge.

In the US, all the 5c models will ship within 24 hours. I think you're right, this will be needed more for the 5s than 5c.

danemo

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Nothing in Chicago stores. However, my 32GB space grey shipped from ZhengZhou and will arrive Wednesday :)

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
Nothing in Chicago stores. However, my 32GB space grey shipped from ZhengZhou and will arrive Wednesday :)

Two Gold T-Mobile unlocked 64GB have shipped as well. Arrival Wed Sept 25, as opposed to original estimate of Sept 30 - Oct 2.

guywhoisweird

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2010
I have an existing pre order for the 5S from Apple (Line 1). I have multiple lines on my account and do not want to cancel my pre order just yet.

Let's say I buy the phone using another line (line 2). The phone would be bought full price. Once I get to the apple store can I return the phone for Line 2 and then buy it immediately using my upgrade for Line 1? I would of course have cancelled my pre order, freeing up my upgrade eligibility.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Remember, most stores don't get restocked on Sundays. Check availability in a few hours, after the inventories are updated by the morning crews.

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
I'm failing to understand why they're restocking stores at all when launch day online orders (more accurate: launch minute orders) still show 7-10 day wait times. Shouldn't those who already bought one, let alone those who got up in the middle of the night to do so, have some level of priority?

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
I'm failing to understand why they're restocking stores at all when launch day online orders (more accurate: launch minute orders) still show 7-10 day wait times. Shouldn't those who already bought one, let alone those who got up in the middle of the night to do so, have some level of priority?

Those estimates seem pretty conservative, mine originally said the 3rd when ordering, and now it says it'll be here tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.