Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antitryptic

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
Textra is always my go-to app on all my Android devices. It has a clean interface and it's runs really smoothly. I've used Go, but I couldn't handle all of the ads that it threw at me. :p

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I actually use the Facebook messaging app to handle all my SMS's.
You get the chat head things and it has all my Facebook messages too.

Works well for me.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I actually use the Facebook messaging app to handle all my SMS's.
You get the chat head things and it has all my Facebook messages too.

Works well for me.

Yeah always surprises me how Facebook Messenger can handle the SMS/MMS handling and hangouts cant ? All hangouts has to do is use the pre-configured settings on your handset and make itself the default SMS app much like ANY of the third party ones.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah always surprises me how Facebook Messenger can handle the SMS/MMS handling and hangouts cant ? All hangouts has to do is use the pre-configured settings on your handset and make itself the default SMS app much like ANY of the third party ones.

Yep. It's baffling how Google is handling the Hangouts app. It really should have been the default messaging app for Android.

I didn't know FB handles SMS/MMS. I need to download that app and look into it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yep. It's baffling how Google is handling the Hangouts app. It really should have been the default messaging app for Android.

Yep it's facebook messenger - and then go into the settings and enable sms/mms & if you want, chatheads.

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
I was under the impression that the FB Messenger could only send SMS, but not MMS. Was I just wrong or has it been updated? Any chance it also has group texting too (not group FB chat) ?

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Canada

If Google would fuse Hangouts with the SMS app it would work wonders for me. Just like iMessage, texts to numbers that are linked to a Google account would be sent via Hangouts and not SMS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.