SMS app replacement?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by adder7712, Sep 22, 2013.

1. adder7712, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

macrumors 68000

adder7712

2. MRU
    Demi-God

MRU

3. macrumors 68000

adder7712

4. macrumors 68040

I like stock but don't like the MMS size limitations. I tried Go, Handcent, and couple others that I didn't like. Ultimately I settled on Textra and couldn't be happier. It doesn't offer the tons of functionality that many of other pile on and I would never use--simple and clean look, pop-up replying works great.

5. macrumors 6502

Thank you for the recommendation! Looks really nice.

(Building up my app list for the Nexus 5) :)

6. macrumors 6502a

I use Textra as well and it's by FAR the best SMS replacement app I've tried. HIGHLY recommended.

7. MRU
    Demi-God

MRU

8. macrumors 65816

Cnasty

I use Handcent since I got my S3 as I didnt like the stock.

I like it because I can do a quick reply from anywhere even on top of the lock screen.

9. macrumors 601

Razeus

I kid you not, everyone should use Textra. The only bad thing about it is it's app icon. However, this is how texting should have been on Android. At least until Google gets Hangouts SMS/MMS capabilities.

10. macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Using Textra here as well, but I miss the quick reply popup from ChompSMS. It works so well and the one from Textra only works when the screen is unlocked (kinda defeats the purpose). But the dark setting on Textra is nice and I love how it functions.

11. macrumors 65816

Cnasty

Gotta have the quick reply capability after being spoiled with it.

Has changed texting altogether for me.

12. macrumors regular

I've tried quite a few replacements (chomp, Go SMS Pro, Handcent, Pansi SMS, Quicktouch).

Used to use Go SMS, but got tired of the ads and increasing lag I would experience

Switched to default messaging, but would miss out on some MMS images due to size limitations

JUST installed textra based on recommendations in this thread and it's awesome! Thanks guys

13. macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

14. MRU
    Demi-God

MRU

Yep decided to give textra a whirl and its nice :) better than Sammy's stock messaging app anyway :)

15. macrumors 68000

adder7712

Started using Textra. Love how clean and minimalistic it is. :D

16. macrumors Demi-Goddess

LadyX

I recommend Textra as well.

17. macrumors 68040

Funny, I was about to give your recommendation a try as well, like the sliding functionality and clean look, appears similar to stock Android app, whose appearance I like.

18. macrumors 68000

adder7712

I had some troubles with the stock Sammy messaging app. Textra is such a delight.

19. macrumors 65816

Cnasty

Tried Textra last night but didnt like that there was no quick reply on top of the lock screen function.

That is a must now after being spoiled by that function in Handcent so i went back.

20. Razeus, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

macrumors 601

Razeus

Yep. The stock app gives me an error like "file to big" and it over compresses the photos I'll send. If I tried to send multiple photos of my son to my wife in 1 message, it'd get that "too big" message.

I did the same thing with Textra, and BOOM, it send 5 high rez 20 megapixel images that were about 12 megabytes in size each without a problem. No error messages, no "compressing the photo" messages. It just took care of it and sent it, they way I've been used to on iOS. I'm sure it shrunk the photos to get it through, but it "just worked" as it should.

Pro tip: Go into MMS settings and change the "send size limit" to the Max your mobile provider allows. Mine is sent to 600KB (default is 300kB) for AT&T's network.

Edit: Also, download the emoji's pack for Textra.

21. macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Are you rooted? If you are, I'd highly recommend getting the CyanogenMod SMS app. You can use it without actually installing CyanogenMod.

It's basically the exact same as the stock app, supports MMS, and supports Emojis.

22. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

CM easily has the best messaging app IMO

23. macrumors 601

Razeus

This will all go away once Google fully outs Hangouts. I'm really surprised Google has nothing native that's comparable to iMessage. I'd like to see iMessage, Dialer and Facetime be one app from Apple. I really hope Google will pull this off. I'm hoping for it to be in Android 4.4 KitKat.

24. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

I agree their stock app needs to be so much more than it is. Would be great if hangouts is that all in one solution, but I have been hearing that for a year now and the last upgrade was just a name change and a few UI changes.

25. macrumors 601

Razeus

I still don't know why it takes so long to put in SMS/MMS into hangouts. I consider iMessage a major feature that prevents switchers from going to Android. I know it was for me and I sorely missed it when using Samsung's stock messaging app. I'm glad I found Textra, but it seems to be Google should be all over this by now. I also wish Google Voice was the native built in dialer, because the S4 version is not a pretty sight at all. :p I'm just saying something like this is a deal breaker for most switchers and Google should already have something like iMessage by now. It's been 2 years since Apple launched that?

----------

Those guys really need to start parting their apps and putting them in the Play Store.