Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
That wasn't always the case. I have a 2010 era Mini and its a bear to dissemble. I need a putty knife, being extremely careful not to snap some of the plastic clips. Taking the chassis out and basically taking the entire thing down the the screws just to upgrade the ram and storage.

I JUST did this to the in-laws 2007 C2D to put in 4 Gigs of RAM. What a pain in the %@&*$!!! You swear you are going to break the thing in half when popping off the shell.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I JUST did this to the in-laws 2007 C2D to put in 4 Gigs of RAM. What a pain in the %@&*$!!! You swear you are going to break the thing in half when popping off the shell.

What a crap: The white mini's are very easy. Just get a good sharp putty knife and don't have fear. You can't go wrong. It is a piece of cake. Inside everything is done with normal Philips screws. Worst case you break a clip.
The 2010-2012 can be a real pain though and you can damage serious parts, especially when following the wrong video with unnecessary steps. Worst case you run those ones FUBAR.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
What a crap: The white mini's are very easy. Just get a good sharp putty knife and don't have fear. You can't go wrong. It is a piece of cake. Inside everything is done with normal Philips screws. Worst case you break a clip.
The 2010-2012 can be a real pain though and you can damage serious parts, especially when following the wrong video with unnecessary steps. Worst case you run those ones FUBAR.
Inside is just fine. I still managed to crack one of the white locking flanges, as well as the bottom white base between two of the air inlet spaces doing just that. :D

I"m just glad I remembered the tiny, two wire, black insertion sensor bit before I put the lid back one. It was close, I has the lid on and ready to push when I remembered that I had forgotten to replace that one piece. :eek:

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
"inexpensive". I suppose it depends on your definition.

What is your definition?

Nearly a year ago I started a poll asking how much a Mac Mini cost relative to people's pay. For over 50% of those who responded it was less than a week's pay...... which, depending on what other commitments someone has, it seems fairly inexpensive, relatively speaking, to me.

However, I don't fit into that bracket. For me it is well over a month's pay, so far from cheap, but still reasonably good value for money.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1468966/

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
With the price rise recently (Australian online store) an update probably is not imminent. The mini is not as affordable as it used to be.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
What is your definition?

Nearly a year ago I started a poll asking how much a Mac Mini cost relative to people's pay. For over 50% of those who responded it was less than a week's pay...... which, depending on what other commitments someone has, it seems fairly inexpensive, relatively speaking, to me.

However, I don't fit into that bracket. For me it is well over a month's pay, so far from cheap, but still reasonably good value for money.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1468966/

I'd agree with good value, but not inexpensive. A couple hundred dollars for anything isn't inexpensive, but could represent a fabulous value...I'm just looking at it from a dollar spent perspective.

QWERTYMac7

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by QWERTYMac7 View Post
I do not find the Mac Mini cheap at all, just inexpensive.

You don't want cheap.

"inexpensive". I suppose it depends on your definition.

So you must believe it is poorly made - not inexpensive.

It's not a $300.00 Acer netbook. It's a tremendously capable computer at a very fair price.

In fact, one could say it's 'inexpensive..." - - - you really don't think it's expensive, do you?

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
So you must believe it is poorly made - not inexpensive.

It's not a $300.00 Acer netbook. It's a tremendously capable computer at a very fair price.

In fact, one could say it's 'inexpensive..." - - - you really don't think it's expensive, do you?

It's expensive depending on your point of view. I didn't call it cheap at all. Not sure why people keep calling out my comment.

Really? It's NOT a $300 Acer netbook? Man. My whole life is a lie! :rolleyes:

QWERTYMac7

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2012
It's expensive depending on your point of view. I didn't call it cheap at all. Not sure why people keep calling out my comment.

I merely called out your comment because you called out MY comment.

Pretty simple. I replied.

A Whopper at Burger King is 'expensive' to one who has little money to eat...but it really is inexpensive. Not cheap. (OK, it's not 100% Black Angus sirloin with heirloom tomatoes - I use this as an example only).

This is a high tech forum - expect folks to have enough money to pay $549.00 for a Mac Mini (a refurb for sure, but NOT cheap):
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_mini

Sheese! How many threads are there on 512GB+ SSD's? They are not inexpensive either!

kumquat

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2011
Uh mine cost over 2k with an education discount. It's top of the line but I don't consider two thousand dollars cheap. Chromebooks are cheap.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Same as the title - why is it so cheap?
Is it because the processor is based on a mobile cpu, no dgpu and so on, and the fact that it has no screen, but it still seems to be pretty cheap, i'd expect it to be a little more like $100 more. Is it a good computer beause i find the 21.5 inch imac screen too small but dont wont to buy a macbook air and a external monitor because i have no need for the laptop portion.

It's not really any cheaper than PC systems with the same specs, and it lacks expansion, dGPU and mouse and keyboard, so of course it has to be cheaper to sell.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012

That acer is more expensive.
You can have a Mini for less than 100$ a year. Forget it with the Acer, and besides, it is a whole lot less of a serious computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.