Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
To me the Mac mini is better value. The mac mini holds value insanely well.

You do not need a new display every few years nor do I want a reflective screen. A keyboard and a mouse is a very personal thing and not every one will wants the Apple KB or mouse. (e.g. Logitech K810 keyboard and a Kensington Orbot trackball with scrollring).

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Its fairly inexpensive because its insides are based off of the macbook pro. Also it probably has a smaller profit margin. Its not all that cheap though:

attachment.php

By the time you upgrade to the 2.6ghz, 8gb ram, KB, and mouse its not that different. And you still need a monitor.
SP3dM64.png

+$150 for 16GB RAM = $1187. If you already own a mouse, keyboard and RAM, it's $899.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hi all,

Why is the Mini cheaper than the iPhone 5S?

Many reasons including the fact when you shrink the form factor manufacturing costs go up. The iPhone has a very good display, the Mac mini does not. The phone has many specialized and custom components where as the Mac Mini does not.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
if you end up going with an Apple display, you are paying more for the mac mini/display than an iMac. You also get less performance (iMac has dedicated GPU on the higher end models, bigger storage, more memory, faster cpu's, etc)

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
if you end up going with an Apple display, you are paying more for the mac mini/display than an iMac.)

Many cut this by going 3rd party, but even with a $1000 display, that display will last 10 years and 3 minis: 1000+700+700+700. The same path (new CPU every 3 years) on an iMac is what, 1800+1800+1800?

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Many cut this by going 3rd party, but even with a $1000 display, that display will last 10 years and 3 minis: 1000+700+700+700. The same path (new CPU every 3 years) on an iMac is what, 1800+1800+1800?

who keeps a display for 10 years? By then the technology will change so much anyway. I'd say 5 years is about right for a display unless your job/hobby requires the latest.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
who keeps a display for 10 years? By then the technology will change so much anyway. I'd say 5 years is about right for a display unless your job/hobby requires the latest.

I used to think the same thing. Then I started noticing older displays, everywhere. Homes, offices, (new)TV shows, photographs. They just won't die. I've seen new million dollar medical scanners, hooked up to old translucent apple displays. Was at the dentist this week, clerk was using a 14" dell!

I have a 5 year old iMac with a 24. Started life as a television and I would happily keep the screen while ditching the rest to hook up to a mini, it's still a lot of real estate and the panel shows no signs of giving up.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe

I agree. I have been thinking all these parameters and I have concluded that a good 1920X1080 or 1920X1200 resolution IPS monitor around 23-24'' is not very expensive (w/mini display port, HDMI, DVI ports). It doesn't include webcam (nice external speakers can find easily), though.

Thus, a (late 2013 - early 2014) i7 Haswell processor+HD5000 plus (maybe IRIS Pro?) graphics Mac mini with wi-fi ac and PCI-e SSD / Fusion Drive and my own RAM is what I need. Money for a good monitor is not an issue (as explained above). Excellent and big monitors don't belong to my pocket size and I can't see any difference for computer hobby (I am not a gamer).

Let's wait and see prices for the updated Mac Mini...

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I think the more obvious question would be: Why is the Mac mini server still so much more than the standard mini?

Used to be for $999 you got a notably different machine and the $500 server app was essentially thrown in for free. Now the cost of server app is inconsequential at $20. And the machine is identical to the standard mini except for a small ribbon cable for the 2nd drive. I think a price point of $899 would be much more reasonable for what's offered comparatively to the standard mini.

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008

Just about any business I've worked for/with/visited has purchased displays and run them until they die, or for at least 10 years, unless something radical changes in display technology that they want/need to take advantage of that justifies spending money sooner.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
Just about any business I've worked for/with/visited has purchased displays and run them until they die, or for at least 10 years, unless something radical changes in display technology that they want/need to take advantage of that justifies spending money sooner.

Of course, every 3-5 years, panel technology changes.

Pretty soon, OLED and 4K resolution panel is going to be the newest standard (2014-2015)...

IPS is the leader now....10 years ago, CRT and early LCD panel were the edge of technology, can you still stay with a big & heavy CRT or an early LCD monitor? ...around 2008-2010, I would have spent $300-400 for a newer LCD monitor, unless your pocket size couldn't afford it...

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
That wasn't always the case. I have a 2010 era Mini and its a bear to dissemble. I need a putty knife, being extremely careful not to snap some of the plastic clips. Taking the chassis out and basically taking the entire thing down the the screws just to upgrade the ram and storage.

I have an older one too. '09 I think. Giant pain in the ass to open.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I agree. I have been thinking all these parameters and I have concluded that a good 1920X1080 or 1920X1200 resolution IPS monitor around 23-24'' is not very expensive (w/mini display port, HDMI, DVI ports). It doesn't include webcam (nice external speakers can find easily), though.

Thus, a (late 2013 - early 2014) i7 Haswell processor+HD5000 plus (maybe IRIS Pro?) graphics Mac mini with wi-fi ac and PCI-e SSD / Fusion Drive and my own RAM is what I need. Money for a good monitor is not an issue (as explained above). Excellent and big monitors don't belong to my pocket size and I can't see any difference for computer hobby (I am not a gamer).

Let's wait and see prices for the updated Mac Mini...

I think the current models appearing with SSD's are going to cause a software revolution.

Years ago, software was always limited to CPU and memory. With both being so fast in this generation, we were able to virtualize and run multiple instances of an OS on the same hardware. With SSD's, we were able to reduce the bottleneck of data being read/written. Software has never really utilized a lot of the latest technology and I think all this is about to change, at a much higher pace.

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
Of course, every 3-5 years, panel technology changes.

Pretty soon, OLED and 4K resolution panel is going to be the newest standard (2014-2015)...

IPS is the leader now....10 years ago, CRT and early LCD panel were the edge of technology, can you still stay with a big & heavy CRT or an early LCD monitor? ...around 2008-2010, I would have spent $300-400 for a newer LCD monitor, unless your pocket size couldn't afford it...

Yeah... pocket size is always an issue. The monitor on my desktop at home is a really nice, modern one. That I change every few years, usually for something not quite the latest tech but nice enough for a good price...

We run a site, a small college, with about 1800+ PCs and about 100 Macs, a good portion of which are Mac Minis and therefore also need a monitor. We replace all the computers on a rolling 4 year basis but while we'll certainly look at particular display needs in particular areas (in fact we got some pretty nice top end Dell panels while we replaced all the mac minis this year) we can't afford to replace 1800 monitors on a whim and I know for a fact that we're far from alone.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
IPS is the leader now....10 years ago, CRT and early LCD panel were the edge of technology,..

10 years ago I was already using IPS. For normal spreadsheet, word processing the current resolutions are more than satisfactory and I do not need a larger screen size. Cannot see my monitor being replaced any time soon - especially when the consumer stuff is reflective, my eyes need a matte screen.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
10 years ago I was already using IPS. For normal spreadsheet, word processing the current resolutions are more than satisfactory and I do not need a larger screen size. Cannot see my monitor being replaced any time soon - especially when the consumer stuff is reflective, my eyes need a matte screen.

Therefore, choose a monitor with less reflective screen. This is your priority.

I used to work with spreadsheets and word editing on my CRT monitor, 10 years ago. When I realized that my office was fully ocuppied by my CRT monitor, I decided to buy something thinner and lighter...later, I needed a bigger (23'') monitor with better resolution (fullhd) and I bought another one....three monitors in 10 years period, easily and normally.

----------

Yeah... pocket size is always an issue. The monitor on my desktop at home is a really nice, modern one. That I change every few years, usually for something not quite the latest tech but nice enough for a good price...

We run a site, a small college, with about 1800+ PCs and about 100 Macs, a good portion of which are Mac Minis and therefore also need a monitor. We replace all the computers on a rolling 4 year basis but while we'll certainly look at particular display needs in particular areas (in fact we got some pretty nice top end Dell panels while we replaced all the mac minis this year) we can't afford to replace 1800 monitors on a whim and I know for a fact that we're far from alone.

In your particular situation, you are doing the best! ;)

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
I have had my Mini for almost 2 yrs, solid as a rock, it is the best value in the line and for probably most people is all the computer they would ever use or need. Resale is scary good too.

John Kotches

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Troy, IL (STL Area)
I'm an IT professional and I find that my monitors tend to last me 4 or 5 years. They don't wear out, I am usually replacing them for higher resolution.

I'll probably buy the Dell 27" in a month or two and then upgrade to 4k when they aren't priced in the stratosphere.

Cheers,

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I'm an IT professional and I find that my monitors tend to last me 4 or 5 years. They don't wear out, I am usually replacing them for higher resolution.

I'll probably buy the Dell 27" in a month or two and then upgrade to 4k when they aren't priced in the stratosphere.

Cheers,

I fully agree....(but first check ASUS PA series)

----------

I have had my Mini for almost 2 yrs, solid as a rock, it is the best value in the line and for probably most people is all the computer they would ever use or need. Resale is scary good too.

you encourage me...thanks!:apple:

John Kotches

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Troy, IL (STL Area)
I fully agree....(but first check ASUS PA series)

I like the USB hub in the Dell, it's handy for charging some things like Logitech keyboards, trackpads and bluetooth headsets.

Sadly, I have no way to compare them both side by side.

I've nothing against Asus products, I own their Transformer Inifinity tablet which is a very good Android device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.