Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_a7.jpg
Back in June, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) struck a three-year deal with Apple to produce A-series chips for iOS devices beginning in 2014. The move was seen as part of Apple's strategy of moving away from rival Samsung for component supplies, although Samsung was soon after reported to have landed its own deal to once again produce chips beginning with the A9 in 2015.

According to Korean news outlet Hankyung [Google Translate] (via The Verge), Samsung will also remain involved in next year's A8 chip family, with TSMC handling 60 to 70 percent of the manufacturing load and Samsung picking up the remainder.

Today's rumor about the A8 chip still makes it unclear as to whether TSMC and Samsung will both produce A9 chips for Apple in 2015, but it seems that Apple is working hard to diversify its supplier relationships and will be drawing on both TSMC and Samsung for the foreseeable future as the two companies compete to push their technology forward.

A look into the A7 processor last week revealed that Samsung was indeed the manufacturer for the chip, with the chip produced at a smaller 28-nm node compared to the 32-nm A6. Currently, the A7 chip is used in the iPhone 5s, and an updated "A7X" version of the chip is almost certainly set to arrive in Apple's next-generation iPad and perhaps an upcoming iPad mini with Retina display.

Article Link: Samsung to Assist with Production of Apple's Next-Generation A8 Chip

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
If true, this destroys hope of 20nm unless the production isn't concurrent. Or intended for a single product line perhaps (28nm for iPad mini, 20nm for iPhone).

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
I hope this doesn't turn out like the MBP retina display business where non-Samsung panels had yellow spot issue.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I hope this doesn't turn out like the MBP retina display business where non-Samsung panels had yellow spot issue.

...or how many samsung "haters" will demand to have a iDevice that does NOT have a Samsung chip in it ;)

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Apple really needs their own fabs.

Come on Apple, they're only like $5 billion.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Is this necessary?

Actually it is. It points out the hypocrisy of some. Clearly I meant it in jest. But maybe some people will realize how silly it is for them to be so spiteful when in fact they benefit from their existence.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Of course Samsung is happy to assist with production of the A8!

They've probably offered Apple a very attractive price to do so.

Making chips for your competitor is, after all, a good way to keep a close eye on their product plans.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
...or how many samsung "haters" will demand to have a iDevice that does NOT have a Samsung chip in it ;)

Not really hating Samsung, because I prefer Apple keep Samsung for their SSDs and Displays which IMHO are superior to their LG Display and Toshiba/Sandisk SSD counterparts, but don't you think Apple would be best served by not having Samsung manufacture their A SOC line? Don't you think that once Apple dumped their CPU designs on Samsung's lap, that Samsung's mobile division didn't have a little 'peek' at the design and are now as we speak 'copying' or at least being 'inspired' for use in the Galaxy S5?

Glassman

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
If they use both TSMC and Samsung, it will not be for the same processor. For all we know this may simply mean Samsung will keep supplying A7 & A6, with TSMC handling the A8.

Different fabs have different process, even if they're at the same node. You can't take the same blueprint to two different shops. Apple would have to essentially design two chips. They would have different performance and power consumption. It'd be practically impossible to use them interchangeably in a single design.

Now they may choose to do A8X with Samsung and A8 with TSMC - still a pain, but at least those are two different SoCs where presumably the iPad one could tolerate an older 28nm process from Samsung with a higher power/thermal profile which by that time would have high yields and be offered at a competitive cost. It would provide some insurance policy to Apple in that the overall demand for cutting edge 20nm chips from TSMC would be eased, while iPad chips supply becoming essentially risk-free.

Not sure where Samsung is wrt 20nm, but there's been no indication of it being ready anytime soon. On the other hand I believe TSMC will have mastered 20nm volume production by this time next year just in time to fulfill the next iPhone's demand. I'm sure Apple thrown their money at TSMC to make this happen on schedule.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not really hating Samsung, because I prefer Apple keep Samsung for their SSDs and Displays which IMHO are superior to their LG Display and Toshiba/Sandisk SSD counterparts, but don't you think Apple would be best served by not having Samsung manufacture their A SOC line? Don't you think that once Apple dumped their CPU designs on Samsung's lap, that Samsung's mobile division didn't have a little 'peek' at the design and are now as we speak 'copying' or at least being 'inspired' for use in the Galaxy S5?

I think diversifying their suppliers is healthy. I also believe that just like you need the right tool for the right job - if the best component is made by company X and you want the best components - then you should go with company X. Business is business.

Further - how much can you really tell about a device based on a chip? I would say the bigger issue is showcasing an OS and features. Something Samsung doesn't need to get by spying - but simply watching a keynote.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Apple really needs their own fabs.

Come on Apple, they're only like $5 billion.

Why? Samsung makes the best mobile chips in the world. Its a good thing Apple knows what they are doing and not taking directions from Macrumors. :)

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Don't you think that once Apple dumped their CPU designs on Samsung's lap, that Samsung's mobile division didn't have a little 'peek' at the design and are now as we speak 'copying' or at least being 'inspired' for use in the Galaxy S5?

And what exactly do you think they will glean from peeking at Apple's design? Or do you think Apple is coming up with brand new designs on their own that nobody has seen before?

"Ooh, they used an M7 motion coprocessor! What a great idea! We should do that too!"

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Good. Sammy have done a great job making Apple's chips, SSD and Display components, and are, if I'm not mistaken the only one of Apple's long-term hardware suppliers not to have a major cockup (Like the LG Retina Display issue).

I'm happy knowing that in my Mac and iOS devices, I have Samsung components. They are high quality and have great reliability, which at the end of the day is what matters.

In other news, 1000 hard-core Apple fanboys just cried and declared the iPhone 6 as rubbish. :p

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Oh Samsung your so rubbish, oh Samsung you copy so much, oh Samsung moan complain moan complain.....

Samsung to help build the next iPhone CPU.

Oh Samsung your so wonderful, oh Samsung your so clever, oh Samsung praise praise ..... :rolleyes:

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Actually it is. It points out the hypocrisy of some. Clearly I meant it in jest. But maybe some people will realize how silly it is for them to be so spiteful when in fact they benefit from their existence.

Different divisions of Samsung. It's perfectly reasonable to dislike the business practices of the mobile phone division while having no problem with the manufacturing division.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.