Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
That list on the DigitalCopyPlus website now has a bunch of other movies showing that it will include the iTunes DC.

Based on the other thread, the DC for Oz is HD. Hopefully, the DC for Iron Man 3, and the newer Pixar movies will be in HD as well.

The ones that don't include iTunes DC look to be made for home video kids movies ... of which only the TinkerBell movie looks to be of any quality (my opinion).

Until the NEW big budget Disney movies show up without iTunes DC, I take this as a good thing.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Does MakeMKV error a lot for people using it? I just, on my first disc, had an error that part of the file didn't pass the hash and was corrupted. I'm trying it again to see what happens. I assume that the resulting file is trash in that case.

Thanks to all for assistance...

Second run, logging enabled, and getting this over and over again:

Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Hash check failed for file /BDMV/STREAM/00119.m2ts at offset 8251392, file is corrupt.

:-(

'Dirty' disc... Seems to be working, so far...

Last edited:

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
just another thing in our lives that will be fragmented all to hell!!!

Ripping is of course the best solution, but Movies in the iCloud can't be beat. im sorry. Apple should just say screw it and offer a $5 per movie digital copy swap. Input your unused UV and Vudu Codes and for $5 per movie you get the itunes version.

Fragmentation really ruins the whole digital hub experience. everyone and their mother has a movie service now. Its pathetic. I have AppleTVs , iPhones, iPad and Macs. I dont want UV, i dont care about Amazon, i hate Vudu. just everyone go with itunes.

Or better yet. Make it DRM free or each code is redeemable with 2 services.

----------

And if Disney doesn't offer the Phase 2 & 3 Marvel movies in iTunes digital copy format with their Bluray counterparts, we are gonna have a problem.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
And if Disney doesn't offer the Phase 2 & 3 Marvel movies in iTunes digital copy format with their Bluray counterparts, we are gonna have a problem.

They won't, or it's highly unlikely they will now. I can't believe that Warner would split the Harry Potter Deadly Hallows movies like they did. Part 1 digital download is on iTunes, Part 2 isn't. Where's the sense, where's the compassion for the parents that have to try to explain to their kids why some fat and overpaid executive somewhere is blocking their watching Part 2 on their iPad... I mean, sure, you can supposedly still watch it, but is it over the head of many parents?

When technology gets too difficult to use, people look for other alternatives. People start working to break the limits. Especially limits that seem to be imposed so capriciously... They CAN make their movies available on iTunes. They have done it before...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
HPDH part 1 & 2 shows up in my iTunes? all 8 movies are there :confused:

Perhaps you have the 8 disc set? Mine, Blu-ray, has an Ultraviolet only code. The drop-in looks completely different. Part 1 offers 'iTunes or Windows Media' digital download, and Part 2 only offers an 'Ultraviolet Digital Copy' with streaming through that service, or 'download' through Flixster. It says on it in boldface: 'not compatible with all devices'... BestBuy had the all Blu-ray Harry Potter set available on sale. I didn't think to check that for iTunes compatibility, but repurchasing the movies that I already have because I want the iTunes version is crazy on many levels and plays into their hands... Glad it worked for you. Oh, I have the 3D version. Perhaps it's different with the straight non-3D version. And I haven't even watched the 3D version. It's a waste...

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Fragmentation really ruins the whole digital hub experience. everyone and their mother has a movie service now. Its pathetic. I have AppleTVs , iPhones, iPad and Macs. I dont want UV, i dont care about Amazon, i hate Vudu. just everyone go with itunes.
It's called competition. Not everyone uses apple devices (vast majority don't actually), so your suggestion is ridiculous. If apple held a monopoly in the digital market they could charge whatever they wanted, so prices would be even higher than they are now.

No thanks.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Perhaps you have the 8 disc set? Mine, Blu-ray, has an Ultraviolet only code. The drop-in looks completely different. Part 1 offers 'iTunes or Windows Media' digital download, and Part 2 only offers an 'Ultraviolet Digital Copy' with streaming through that service, or 'download' through Flixster. It says on it in boldface: 'not compatible with all devices'... BestBuy had the all Blu-ray Harry Potter set available on sale. I didn't think to check that for iTunes compatibility, but repurchasing the movies that I already have because I want the iTunes version is crazy on many levels and plays into their hands... Glad it worked for you. Oh, I have the 3D version. Perhaps it's different with the straight non-3D version. And I haven't even watched the 3D version. It's a waste...

Sorry I thought you meant on the iTunes Store to buy :eek:

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
It's called competition. Not everyone uses apple devices (vast majority don't actually), so your suggestion is ridiculous. If apple held a monopoly in the digital market they could charge whatever they wanted, so prices would be even higher than they are now.

No thanks.

actually the vast majority do. Its the largest digital media store. I'm not saying ignore the others. what i am saying is, don't just stop offering itunes codes. If there are 4 services that offer digital media, let the code included work with my choice of the 4 services.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
MakeMVK seems to be working well. It's a two step process, three including HandBrake, but the screen format seems to stay in the whole process. I'm impressed. The files are large, but they are widescreen files. This is cool...

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Disney only include the digital copy if you buy the insanely priced 3d(who owns a 3d tv haha) version that is $35 bucks on day 1 and like 40 bucks after that !!!

All the Marvel movies are crap and they want $40 bucks for AVENGERS !!! YOU SERIOUS !!!

I ordered Little Mermaid for my GF and its 26 bucks on Amazon with itunes digital copy blu ray. I will let you know in 2 weeks if it's HD. I doubt it tho.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Disney only include the digital copy if you buy the insanely priced 3d(who owns a 3d tv haha) version that is $35 bucks on day 1 and like 40 bucks after that !!!

All the Marvel movies are crap and they want $40 bucks for AVENGERS !!! YOU SERIOUS !!!

I ordered Little Mermaid for my GF and its 26 bucks on Amazon with itunes digital copy blu ray. I will let you know in 2 weeks if it's HD. I doubt it tho.

So far, none of the iTunes digital downloads have been HD, at least none that I've encountered... Just rip your own...

Yeah, the real insult would be to be busted for ripping one of those turkeys. I was pissed that the included on a disc Angels & Demons digital 'download' wouldn't work, but now after ripping the Blu-ray, I realize that the movie sucks and they actually did me a favor by putting a freshness date on the code.

The whole movie is a freaking joke... The 'god particle' lasts the smallest fractions of a second. Keeping it 'alive' in a bottle like a bee is just ridiculous. I remembered that after watching the fresh rip of it. BAH! Stupid freaking garbage... Obviously they need someone with a brain at the movie studio who could have said, when they were approached to buy the rights to make a movie of the book, 'What? That POS? And be laughed at by everyone who has ever taken a physics class? Heck no! Don't call us, we won't call you!'

Last edited:

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
So far, none of the iTunes digital downloads have been HD, at least none that I've encountered... Just rip your own...

problem with ripping your own is it takes a ton of time and I don't get it over the cloud. I just buy the movie and then download it in another place. Like I did with Spiderman and Batman. Ultraviolet sucks and it makes me made that 6-7 years into the market Warner Brothers decides hey we want to make our own. Sucks you have all 7 or 8 harry potter movies but the last one is Ultraviolet. My girlfriend was PISSED.

Ultraviolet and not giving you DC in HD isn't helping pirating. I do understand where the companies are coming from because have you ever ebay'd digital copy. I bought Lion King on itunes on ebay for $6 bucks !!!

Look up avengers on ebay. People are selling the 3d blu ray for 5-10, the dvd for 5-10, the digital copy for 5-10 and the blu ray for $15.

I don't understand why they give you both a dvd and a blu ray. Instead of just a Blu ray but guess it's to keep the price high. I much rather get a DC then a DVD

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
problem with ripping your own is it takes a ton of time and I don't get it over the cloud. I just buy the movie and then download it in another place. Like I did with Spiderman and Batman. Ultraviolet sucks and it makes me made that 6-7 years into the market Warner Brothers decides hey we want to make our own. Sucks you have all 7 or 8 harry potter movies but the last one is Ultraviolet. My girlfriend was PISSED.

Ultraviolet and not giving you DC in HD isn't helping pirating. I do understand where the companies are coming from because have you ever ebay'd digital copy. I bought Lion King on itunes on ebay for $6 bucks !!!

Look up avengers on ebay. People are selling the 3d blu ray for 5-10, the dvd for 5-10, the digital copy for 5-10 and the blu ray for $15.

I don't understand why they give you both a dvd and a blu ray. Instead of just a Blu ray but guess it's to keep the price high. I much rather get a DC then a DVD

The pricing is rather bizarre too. Take 'The Big Bang Theory'. BestTry had the first four seasons on sale a while ago. The DVD only set was, as I remember, $5.00 less than the Blu-ray sets. OK, deal. Odd thing was that the first two seasons were the DVD/Blu-ray set and the third and fourth were Blu-ray only. Same price. Odd... They basically 'fire sale'd' the DVD's. Now with season six, the DVD/Blu-ray set is the same price as the other seasons in the mix of Blu-ray only, and DVD/Blu-ray. Granted, I've not done an exhaustive price comparison, but the whole thing is just twisted... Was three and four available in the hybrid set?

I actually like the hybrid sets because when I travel I'll sometime take a DVD or two with me to play on the way, or while I'm there. I also send the DVD's to my Mom from time to time so she can watch an interesting movie she wants to see.

OH: I do actually own a 3D TV. YES, it's so freeing to come out of the closet! ;-) The reason is because the display is faster than other TV's in that price range (they were practically pushing them out the door at that time with such good pricing and bundle packages) and the 3D part actually works rather well. Well, if you keep your head level... Well, and don't have a hat on, or bangs.. Well, and sit as close a 90 degree angle to the TV as you can... It's actually not bad... Really... Although we don't watch 3D movies much... Despicable Me is a riot in 3D!

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Not knocking 3d just saying other than Avatar I don't notice it as it came out as a 3d movie. Everyone else adds 3d after the movie was filmed.

That is another thing that bothers me about Itunes. Everything is always the same price and why is digital more expensive then buying something that comes with a physical copy+digital copy. Amazon mp3s (then itunes match them) is much much cheaper. Most cds are like $2-6 bucks. Movies I don't get why digital copies in HD are so much more expensive than SD. I get a dvd cost much less than a Blu Ray to produce but sending me a 1gb file or a 2-3 gb file shouldn't be a difference. You aren't giving me anything that I can't get for free offline and is much faster download. I downloaded the new Star Trek movie (HD :)) that came with the Blu ray and it took almost an hour to download. If I had gotten it on a bit torrent site it's much faster and free.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
So far, none of the iTunes digital downloads have been HD, at least none that I've encountered...

Are you referring to Disney films in particular or all movies? There are lots of movies that come with HD Digital Copies from iTunes. I think only Fox and Disney are the lone holdouts, but Disney has released one movie with an HD-DC ... Oz-the great and powerful.

Disney is doing something new. It's called Digital Copy Plus and it's a combination of iTunes, Vudu and Amazon. Not all of their future BluRays are coming with an iTunes code. However, they've listed that Monsters U and Iron Man 3 will come with an iTunes DC. I'm betting they will be HD resolution.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Are you referring to Disney films in particular or all movies? There are lots of movies that come with HD Digital Copies from iTunes. I think only Fox and Disney are the lone holdouts, but Disney has released one movie with an HD-DC ... Oz-the great and powerful.

Disney is doing something new. It's called Digital Copy Plus and it's a combination of iTunes, Vudu and Amazon. Not all of their future BluRays are coming with an iTunes code. However, they've listed that Monsters U and Iron Man 3 will come with an iTunes DC. I'm betting they will be HD resolution.

I was just going by my personal experience. None that I've encountered have been HD. So far no Disney, and one Sony disc specifically stated 'Download is in Standard Definition only'. I just ripped the Blu-ray... There are ways around their BS...

But at some time, it's all BS. Corporations will rule the planet, and we will all be puppets in chains... Talk about dystopian... There are two classes of people: The corporate overlords, and those they rule. The delicious part will be when overlords are tossed off the floating island of money... Oh, what a brutal fall... (Sorry, it's raining and dreary here. Effecting the mood.:(:eek:)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I was just going by my personal experience. None that I've encountered have been HD. So far no Disney, and one Sony disc specifically stated 'Download is in Standard Definition only'. I just ripped the Blu-ray... There are ways around their BS...

Your experience with Disney is consistent with everyone else. Like I said above, they're going to a new "system" which, so far, includes an HD digital copy. The only one release yet, is Oz. Next Tuesday is the real test when they come out with Iron Man 3.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Your experience with Disney is consistent with everyone else. Like I said above, they're going to a new "system" which, so far, includes an HD digital copy. The only one release yet, is Oz. Next Tuesday is the real test when they come out with Iron Man 3.

Switching studios for a moment, you mentioned Despicable Me 2, and Monsters U (which is Disney), I haven't heard any release dates... It would be nice if they came out with iTunes DC's... Neither one I was able to see in the theaters here. Got too busy, plus it's hard to justify dropping $40.00 to see a movie...

BTW Monsters U has an interesting back story:

Plans for a second Monsters, Inc. film existed since 2005. Following disagreements between Disney CEO Michael Eisner and Pixar CEO Steve Jobs, Disney— which owned the rights to make sequels to all of Pixar's films up to Cars—announced that a sequel to Monsters, Inc. would be made by Circle 7 Animation, which was also working on an early draft of Toy Story 3. Titled Monsters, Inc. 2: Lost in Scaradise, the film would have focused on Mike and Sulley visiting the human world to give Boo a birthday present, only to find that she had moved. After getting trapped in the human world, Mike and Sulley split up after disagreeing on what to do. Screenwriters Rob Muir and Bob Hilgenberg were hired to write a script for the film, and storyboarded an early draft of it. However, Disney's change of management in late 2005—in which Eisner was replaced by Robert Iger—led to renewed negotiations with Pixar, and in early 2006 Disney announced it had purchased the studio. The Disney-owned sequel rights were then transferred to Pixar, leading to the cancellation of Muir and Hilgenberg's version of the film and the subsequent closure of Circle 7.

Thank you Steve!

Monsters U: October 29th.
Despicable Me 2: Sometime in November... They released Goggles to watch it in 3D.

Last edited:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Switching studios for a moment, you mentioned Despicable Me 2, and Monsters U (which is Disney), I haven't heard any release dates... It would be nice if they came out with iTunes DC's... Neither one I was able to see in the theaters here. Got too busy, plus it's hard to justify dropping $40.00 to see a movie...

BTW Monsters U has an interesting back story:

Thank you Steve!

Monsters U: October 29th.
Despicable Me 2: Sometime in November... They released Goggles to watch it in 3D.

I don't think I mentioned Despicable Me 2, but seeing as how the recent BD release of Despicable Me had an HD iTunes code, I'd suspect that DM2 will as well. Pretty much all of Universal's recent releases of newer movies include the HD iTunes download.

As for Monsters U, I'm looking forward to it. My money is on it being an HD download.

Take a look at this the Digital Copy Plus release FAQ.

http://www.digitalcopyplus.com/providers

NOTE - the link above might not work properly. If you go into Info&Help, find the 3rd question under Participating Providers and click on HERE. It'll give you a chart of the DCPlus releases coming up.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Take a look at this the Digital Copy Plus release FAQ.

http://www.digitalcopyplus.com/providers

NOTE - the link above might not work properly. If you go into Info&Help, find the 3rd question under Participating Providers and click on HERE. It'll give you a chart of the DCPlus releases coming up.

Thanks! The link didn't work, but the instructions did. Nice to know. It only lists Disney and Marvel releases, but seeing iTunes popup so much is a good sign. It's kind of a PITA ripping discs all the time.

Movie corporations: I'd settle for standard def digital copies on iTunes, rather than retched Ultraviolet or Flixster... Although high def downloads would be appreciated.. ;)

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Not knocking 3d just saying other than Avatar I don't notice it as it came out as a 3d movie. Everyone else adds 3d after the movie was filmed.

That is another thing that bothers me about Itunes. Everything is always the same price and why is digital more expensive then buying something that comes with a physical copy+digital copy. Amazon mp3s (then itunes match them) is much much cheaper. Most cds are like $2-6 bucks. Movies I don't get why digital copies in HD are so much more expensive than SD. I get a dvd cost much less than a Blu Ray to produce but sending me a 1gb file or a 2-3 gb file shouldn't be a difference. You aren't giving me anything that I can't get for free offline and is much faster download. I downloaded the new Star Trek movie (HD :)) that came with the Blu ray and it took almost an hour to download. If I had gotten it on a bit torrent site it's much faster and free.

digital is in the impulse buy category which is why its more expensive and the movies come out earlier than blu ray
its to make more money for the studios

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Iron Man 3 - HD iTunes DC

OK,

I just checked the "spreadsheet" and Iron Man 3 has been updated. It indicates that the Digital Copy in the regular and 3D combo packs redeem in iTunes in HiDef.

This is good news and bodes well for the upcoming Pixar and Pixar-lite releases on Monsters University and Planes.

Yeah Boy!

-------------------

Wife picked up the 3D combo pack yesterday for me. It came with a DigitalCopyPlus code, which had to be input into a website, which spit out another code that allowed me to D/L into iTunes. The code on the insert did not work directly in iTunes, so it's a two step effort (really 1.5 steps since the website opened iTunes directly). Not as slick a process as the codes that came with World War Z or Star Trek Into Darkness.

And yes, the iTunes download is in HD. Seems like Digital Copy Plus is a good thing, as long as they keep including iTunes as a part of it.

Next Up - Monsters University just before Halloween.

Last edited:

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I just got little Mermaid for my GF and it is an HD iTunes digital copy tho they basically let you download it on any digital media you want. They have amazon, google play, iTunes and ultraviolet. Hope other studios follow suit. I HATE ULTRA VIOLET

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.