Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Fantastic bonus!

This is great, and I think the reason they kept the free at 2G speeds is for cost (obviously) and because with 3G you can make VOIP calls (Viber, Skype, etc..). But hey, it's free.

Love T-Mo!

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
This is the beginning of the end for ridiculous international roaming charges. A bright line moment in the evolution to a completely mobile telephony society. Good on TMO for throwing the first volley. Incidentally, they were also the first one to start to bring sanity to this area in the enterprise a few years ago. But since they're not one of the big players on the enterprise side people didn't notice it.

Hey AT&T: Tell us again why your takeover and consumption of T-Mobile would have been a good thing for consumers?

Now, if we would have only been able to convince the government to prevent the Comcast/NBC merger...

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Being in the UK; I would NEVER buy a T-Mobile/ Orange contracted phone again due to the EE veil.

God awful company, coverage & data coverage.

T-Mobile in the US is not really related to T-Mobile in Europe any longer. Yes they were started by the same company, but they've had separate management teams for awhile, and now they're totally a independent, publicly traded company with DT only having a minority share.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I just read about this in The NY Times. Just from this move alone, I'm tempted to ditch AT&T. I cruise a lot, and as soon as the ship departs from the port, I immediately turn off my phone for the duration of the cruise. It would have been nice if when I was in St. Maarten or the Bahamas, I could have texted or called home to let family know we're okay. Since I plan to do a lot of European travel over the next couple years, this really may entice me to switch. I really don't see AT&T, or Verizon for that matter, doing this. But it would be nice for them to prove me wrong.

Bravo, T-Mobile.

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Hey AT&T: Tell us again why your takeover and consumption of T-Mobile would have been a good thing for consumers?

Preventing the t-mobile / at&t merger is probably one of the better things the government has dome lately.

We should use the success of that decision whenever people complain about "too much government regulation".

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Preventing the t-mobile / at&t merger is probably one of the better things the government has dome lately.

We should use the success of that decision whenever people complain about "too much government regulation".

Well the merger wouldn't be necessary if it wasn't for the government's heavy regulation of spectrum ;)

briansolomon

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
I just read about this in The NY Times. Just from this move alone, I'm tempted to ditch AT&T. I cruise a lot, and as soon as the ship departs from the port, I immediately turn off my phone for the duration of the cruise. It would have been nice if when I was in St. Maarten or the Bahamas, I could have texted or called home to let family know we're okay. Since I plan to do a lot of European travel over the next couple years, this really may entice me to switch. I really don't see AT&T, or Verizon for that matter, doing this. But it would be nice for them to prove me wrong.

Bravo, T-Mobile.

Bahamas are a glaring omission to the list of supported countries.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010

Bravo, T-Mobile.

Absolutely. Bravo, T-Mobile. I have used T-Mobile and AT&T side-by-side for a few years now, and, in my experience, they are pretty much equivalent in coverage, and T-Mobile service and cost is much better for my needs. And now, what sounds like the perfect international roaming that I need and may be using over the next 6 months.

metanoia

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
This is great!

One of the hardest things arriving internationally is having just enough data to get oriented (maps to hotels, etc.) without getting killed by AT&T or Verizon.

And just enough data to guide you to a place that sells SIM cards so you can get real 3/4G data.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
One of the hardest things arriving internationally is having just enough data to get oriented (maps to hotels, etc.) without getting killed by AT&T or Verizon.

And just enough data to guide you to a place that sells SIM cards so you can get real 3/4G data.

buy the navigon app since it downloads maps locally. no need for a cellular signal

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It's a great option for T-mobile subscribers. (It sounds like you have to a post paid customer due to the requirement about time spent in the U.S. -- but correct me if I'm wrong).

However, if you have an unlocked iPhone you can potentially get much faster data speeds, a higher data limit, and cheaper texting and calling if you just buy a local sim. 2G data speeds are almost useless on modern data hungry applications.

On the other hand, it's much more convenient if you don't have to change anything, if you don't have to look for a phone store in a foreign country, having no idea how you might get ripped off if you do the wrong thing.

----------

That's where unlocked phone + local SIM totally loses: When you are in some foreign country maybe for eight hours and really don't have the time to waste to find a phone store.

westgorge

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
Game changer....

While in Europe last year and Canada this year, I was wondering who would start the International Fee Wars. Glad to see T-Mobile is getting it going. AT&T & Verizon are too cocky to take it very seriously.....at least until they start losing customers in droves. Then, they'll think it's a great idea and sell it like it was their own. I have another year on my AT&T contract.....something better happen before then. The charges for smartphone plans is out of control. But, our psychological dependence on these devices are what keeps the prices high. And, yes, there is real value. I'm sure there is some real costs associated with the infrastructure required to provide the service. But, there is a hell of a lot of mark up on top of it too. They have to make a profit. And, I get that. But, I'm guessing it's about 25% to 30% higher than it has to be. Lower the service fees by that percentage and I'm quite sure they will still make a handsome profit. The service fees have to eventually come down. People are going to reach a point like where so many are with cable companies. They will find a breaking point and eventually throw in the towel and say screw it. I'll do something else....whatever that may be at the time.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
its most likely EDGE simply to cut down the # of MBs people will be using. Maybe if the plan works out for them, they'll expand it to 3G data.

I'm more excited about the free texting while overseas. 2G data will make iMessage usable too, so i have a means of staying in touch.

It may not be much now, but i take plenty of daytrips to canada all the time, it would be nice to have just enough data to get thru without having to buy a monthly pass from verizon/att or a local sim every time.

----------

Yup, but you'll also have to pay out of pocket. Granted i have an unlocked phone so ill probably do that, but for day trips the free option will do me well.
I would image that the "2G" service is actually going to be going through the 3G or 4G networks and will just be throttled to slower speeds, unless you pay the higher rates.

----------

Bahamas are a glaring omission to the list of supported countries.

I bet it's too popular of a cruise destination and that they couldn't work out a roaming agreement.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
What do you mean? Didn't they just introduce their own versions of T-Mobile Jump that were pretty similar to T-Mobile's? What's so bad about that?

Jump program is much better. Plus t-mobile lowers phone bill after your device is paid off. Many articles on it.

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
T-Mobile in the US is not really related to T-Mobile in Europe any longer. Yes they were started by the same company, but they've had separate management teams for awhile, and now they're totally a independent, publicly traded company with DT only having a minority share.

Another +1 to the US over the UK. :(

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
The problem with this is hunting down the right plans and sometimes getting around local restrictions in each country (e.g. sometimes a credit card with local billing address is required for activation, and usually the SIMs expire after a while). If you travel to several different countries this gets old quickly. These days I often use AT&T's global data add-on, which gives you 120MB for $30 or 300 MB for $60 in many countries. Not much, but enough for emailing, maps, online check-ins etc. And you get the full speed of the roaming partner.

If someone on T-Mobile needs to have full speed roaming, they can also buy passes (like on AT&T) for much less money.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I guess it is OK for email, but I cannot stand browsing with EDGE anymore, even if it was OK for me not so long ago.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
If someone on T-Mobile needs to have full speed roaming, they can also buy passes (like on AT&T) for much less money.
Well, it's not really that much less. You can buy 100 MB for $15, but it's only valid for one day. So if you want to cover an international trip, you will have to pay either $25 for 200 MB/2 weeks or $50 for 500MB. Not a big difference. I usually get AT&Ts $30 add-on, which is plenty for the things I really need.

nok123

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
I am curious how US corporations, which are probably the biggest users of international roaming data, will view this -- a switch to Tmobile could potentially save them millions, collectively.

I'm assuming also that one reason why some corporations stick with blackberry is the device's frugal use of data overseas -- this would eliminate this advantage.

And 2G speeds shouldn't be a problem for most types of business usage, which would center around email.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
AT&T, please copy them, or I will be switching carrier to T-mobile next year when my contract runs out.

Do it. I brought two unlocked iPhones over to T-mo a couple weeks ago. Getting better service, unlimited data & saving $30 a month is effing great. Not to mention using my brother's upgrade price to get an iPhone 5 the day before they quit selling them just to twist the knife a little.

So-long AT&T. It was real... Expensive.

EDIT: Almost forgot - that's saving $30 a month with two iPhones on T-mo from having one on AT&T. So yeah, F that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.