Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Income taxes are such an absolute joke, penalizing people and corporations for productivity. A tax on land ownership is infinitely more logical because it incentivizes maximally efficient use of all land rather than hoarding, squatting, etc.

Are you ok with 25% real estate tax? every year?

People will simply stop owning, they'll rent

Aye

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
A multi billion dollar corporation should be paying ****in tax. Simple as that. Sheeple should understand they are taking the piss and realise that. We all pay tax and we get ripped off so why shouldnt Apple pay there dues? I like Apple dont get me wrong but when Im paying considerable taxes on my wages and they arent then its time to act. Its a question of fairness. Dont let fanboyism get in the road of that.

Don't get me wrong, calm down with your solid iHate (you would have gotten more upvotes) - it has nothing to do with fanboyism and Apple is not alone with saving as much money in all this tax schemes/loopholes.

Everyone wants to save money as much as we can legally. Do not be a hypocrite. :p

FatLip

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
on da moon
It could backfire. Ireland needs all the jobs it can get. While it might close some loopholes, they should be careful not to penalize companies with significant operations there.

the problem is not that apple does not pay taxes of every single dollar, they simply pocket taxes of every single euro or any other currency outside the US of A.

You see, outside the USA you pay taxes, if you live in the UK you pay allot of taxes when you buy an apple product, even when the Euro is stronger, you pay the dollar price in Euroes,

1500 dollars is 1500 euros, plus the taxes of that country (some times roughly 28 percent +) so the prices are totally crazy, then their apple authorized repair centers charge nutty repair fees

Don't get me wrong, calm down with your solid iHate (you would have gotten more upvotes) - it has nothing to do with fanboyism and Apple is not alone with saving as much money in all this tax schemes/loopholes.

----------

Everyone ones to save money as much as we can legally. Do not be a hypocrite. :p

Right on cue - 1x fanboy. Read my post. I like Apple and I know they arent the only ones. The back handers and free iPads to figures in government need to stop though and as I say they need to pay their dues. Everyone pays taxes, simple as. Unless of course your a free loader or pikey?

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
A multi billion dollar corporation should be paying ****in tax. Simple as that. Sheeple should understand they are taking the piss and realise that. We all pay tax and we get ripped off so why shouldnt Apple pay there dues? I like Apple dont get me wrong but when Im paying considerable taxes on my wages and they arent then its time to act. Its a question of fairness. Dont let fanboyism get in the road of that.

Don't buy in to that load of crap you just hauled in. Instead of making Apple throw money into the ridiculously inefficient organization known as government just because you do, wouldn't it be better to have that change in the opposite direction. How about saying instead that because Apple has favorable laws to pay less tax, I want the laws changed so I don't have to pay as much also.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
I really wish Apple has to start paying all that tax to the US and even has to pay back taxes to the US so our government can use it for wage increases for president, congress, and house members as they are doing such a wonderful job.

What money is left over can go into a fund the government can use to help create more technology and software to intrude into its citizen's lives.

I know that money would be much better in the hands of our government rather than waiting in the banks of a company like Apple that may very well be used to pay for the R&D of a revolutionary new piece of tech.

This is great humanitarian and universal sentiment but the US government is shall I say, interesting...............................?

Aye

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
Right on cue - 1x fanboy. Read my post. I like Apple and I know they arent the only ones. The back handers and free iPads to figures in government need to stop though and as I say they need to pay their dues. Everyone pays taxes, simple as. Unless of course your a free loader or pikey?

Right on cue. "Everyone who has a different opinion, must be a fanboy or a free loader."

I pay my taxes but I love shopping on amazon. Go figure, what is not to love with saving more money. I paid enough taxes on everything.

Last edited:

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Personally I hope these loopholes are shutdown. Obviously it's not only Apple that benifits from them, but a lot of nations suffer as a result.

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
If you are ah, making squat then yes income taxes makes absolutely no sense, you wont be taxed if you are on the brink of poverty, it means you're prolly cleaning toilets or picking up garbage, or in a warehouse packing sneakers or packing salad mixes for corporate clients. That is just inhumane, BUT however ah, if you are a gigantic income hog and you make well over a billion in profit each year just sitting on clean toilet thrones, then uh, ya, I think you should pay the fair share of a gigantic size tax, absolutely! :)

You missed the point entirely. There is no such thing as an "income hog" because production is not a scare resource. Land, on the other hand, is the scarcest resource there is, until humans start colonizing the universe. So hoarding land is much more of a drag on the human race than hoarding income.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Personally I hope these loopholes are shutdown. Obviously it's not only Apple that benifits from them, but a lot of nations suffer as a result.

Just remember that companies don't actually pay taxes.... they just collect them.

Taxes are overhead, a cost of doing business. Guess who pays for them?

Aye

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
Apple et al, will go back to America and then pay high taxes there. People will probably pay for more on their toys. Ireland et al, will be?

/happy ending for both fanboys+I haters?

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
Right - put ALL the burdon of paying for government on individuals. Nice logic.

What do you propose instead? As far as I know, human beings are individuals. Were you thinking of maybe having dogs take on the burden of paying for humans' stuff?

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
Inb4 another thread on Macrumours where people make excuses for Apple's bad behavior... Oh wait.

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
Are you ok with 25% real estate tax? every year?

People will simply stop owning, they'll rent

Are you okay with 0% income tax? Every year? And guess what, even so-called property owners are mostly renting their property from banks and the government anyway. You don't have sovereignty over your property, all you have is a government-sanctioned property TITLE that grants you exclusive use of the land that's really still owned by government. And if you don't pay the rent-whoops-I-mean-property-taxes, guess who gets to seize your property? That's right, the government, because it's not reall your property, it's theirs.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
they should be careful not to penalize companies with significant operations there.
It's not penalizing to ask large (enormous, really) corporations to pay the same tax rate as smaller ones.

Apple and other multinational corps profit from many countries' infrastructure, but refuse to contribute to its upkeep by paying their fair share of taxes. Instead they push their part of the collective contribution over to everybody else and make their burden that much heavier by exploiting these kind of loopholes.

Disgusting!

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
Corporate taxes are hidden taxes on consumers. Does no one think taxes aren't figured into the prices of products?

The US is also one of the only countries that double taxes people and businesses. If you are an American you have to pay income taxes no matter where you earn money in the world, and even if you pay taxes to a foreign government. Same for businesses. I'm sure every foreign customer would love to pay American taxes because Apple has to pay taxes to the US government off international sales if they were forced to bring that money back to the US. This is why all these companies use tax shelters. It's not illegal but when they are dealing with a greedy US government who thinks they have world wide tax jurisdiction this is what happens. Personally I'd rather have lower priced goods than the false notion that taxing businesses isn't just an indirect tax on consumers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.