Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Yes, so happy!! Downloading now.

Quick question: after downloading, should I check my bearings on a perfectly leveled surface? I mean, I know if I don't I wont get 0, 0, 0, but I am curious about the calibration.

So, for my device to calibrate correctly, should my first measure be on a perfectly leveled table?

Nope, just install the update and cry with relief

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
Fixed - all good now.

Since it was a software bug, how come some iPhones were reporting correct values?

Anyway, glad it is fixed!

Given that a simple patch has solved the problem, it looks as if it was the scenario I posted earlier (post 1515) i.e.

There is at least one scenario by which this could be fixed by software, even a standard patch applied to all phones.

Apps (even Apples Compass app) do not make direct calls to the hardware, they get their data via the OS (e.g. the CMAttitude Class in the CoreMotion framework returns various numbers relating to the phones attitude). There are several reasons for this, but one is that the hardware itself in this instance needs calibration i.e. fine-tuning so that we know that a particular hardware reading equates to e.g. a perfectly horizontal phone. These calibration data are probably held in some non-volatile memory, and are set as the phones come through the production line, with each phone getting its own specific calibration data written into the NVRAM. The OS is then supposed to take the raw hardware reading, apply the calibration data from the NVRAM, and then give the calibrated reading to the app.

The problem we are seeing could be due to an iOS7 bug such that it either fails to apply the calibration data or it reads the wrong bit of the NVRAM so it applies an incorrect or zero calibration. If such a bug was fixed to make the OS apply the calibration data correctly, the results returned to the app would then be correctly calibrated again.

So all our phones may have the correct calibration data sitting on them but an iOS7 bug means these data are ignored and the OS is giving uncalibrated data. Because different phones have different calibration values, different phones show different incorrect values as a result of the bug. Occasionally, the raw values need only a very small or no correction, so these phones show the correct value.

Eurobuff

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2013
I'm still updating so can't Check mine yet, is it possible that it can drift after a couple of says?

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Now, go forth young folks and purchase that iPhone you've always wanted for all our issues are fixed.

And they danced with joy for it was good.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I laughed when I read that the software update fixed the gyro issue.

The raging and stamping of feet on this thread has been epic. Returning phones even though they are still really hard to come by at the moment. All that spent rage and wasted time, genius appointments, trips of 100 miles to the nearest apple store etc.

Hopefully this will be a lesson to a lot of people. Have PATIENCE. Thats the problem with people today, everything has to happen instantly and if it doesn't, toys are thrown out of the pram.

LOL

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
My is all zeros except flat on its back. It ready -1. Not bad but I would rather it all be zeroed.

Before the update my was -1 on back and sides. 0 up and down.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Mine was -3 flat and -2 on the edges before the update.

Now it's -1 all around....

But, I am testing it on a different surface than I was before the 7.0.3 update, so I'll go back and give it a go after this class and report back.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Mine was -3 flat and -2 on the edges before the update.

Now it's -1 all around....

But, I am testing it on a different surface than I was before the 7.0.3 update, so I'll go back and give it a go after this class and report back.

Mine was at -2 all around. Now it's -1 lying flat and 0 on the short and long edge. I'd say it's an improvement.

Mr. Luigi

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
Don't Close the Thread...I LOVE reading good news!

I am Weeping with Breathless Joy.

Glad I kept my original 5S as it was perfect in all other ways.

Now it is simply perfect.

gs28

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2013

The raging and stamping of feet on this thread has been epic. Returning phones even though they are still really hard to come by at the moment. All that spent rage and wasted time, genius appointments, trips of 100 miles to the nearest apple store etc.

Hopefully this will be a lesson to a lot of people. Have PATIENCE. Thats the problem with people today, everything has to happen instantly and if it doesn't, toys are thrown out of the pram.

LOL

Really? People are allowed to do whatever they want with their own money, and they are protected by consumer laws and regulations against companies that sell sub-par products. And with all the history of bad products big corporations sell us nowadays (even Apple's antennagate) you should't blame the buyers.

And to talk about patience when there is so much money involved (think up to 900 euros up front for an unlocked device) it just shows how little you understand the situation.
I for one wouldn't have got an iPhone if they wouldn't have fixed it - top quality and premium service matter for me, and even so I had about 2k euros blocked in the bank for almost a month since I ordered the phones till they refunded the money.
I couldn't afford to take a risk worth that much money, and have patience missing the 14 day return period.
I am not happy at all and I fail to see where my fault is.

If there is a lesson to be learned, Apple should learn that communication is very important and this whole situation costed them a lot in returned and replaced devices - that if you want to cry on a big corporation's shoulder. And it all could have been fixed with an internal memo to all the Geniuses instructing them to tell customer this is a software problem and it will be fixed shortly.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010

LOL

And people purposely purchasing apps just to prove the -1 degree. Apps and games they would not have bought without knowing this glitch. Then demanding their screen protectors being replaced multiple times and overages on cell minutes and gas!

ljdonato

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
Download all done. Before my 5s read -3 or -4 on its back, depending on table. Meanwhile, a 4s read -1.

Now, I am happy to report, 0 on sides, -1 on back. Same measures as a 4s. But i can't check for level here. When I get home, I will take my heavy duty level, find a perfectly leveled table, and check again.
But overall, I will say I am extremely happy.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
But Apple will never fix this. Remember antennagate? Steve Jobs would be turning in his grave etc. etc.

Oh wait...

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Really? People are allowed to do whatever they want with their own money, and they are protected by consumer laws and regulations against companies that sell sub-par products. And with all the history of bad products big corporations sell us nowadays (even Apple's antennagate) you should't blame the buyers.

And to talk about patience when there is so much money involved (think up to 900 euros up front for an unlocked device) it just shows how little you understand the situation.
I for one wouldn't have got an iPhone if they wouldn't have fixed it - top quality and premium service matter for me, and even so I had about 2k euros blocked in the bank for almost a month since I ordered the phones till they refunded the money.
I couldn't afford to take a risk worth that much money, and have patience missing the 14 day return period.
I am not happy at all and I fail to see where my fault is.

If there is a lesson to be learned, Apple should learn that communication is very important and this whole situation costed them a lot in returned and replaced devices - that if you want to cry on a big corporation's shoulder. And it all could have been fixed with an internal memo to all the Geniuses instructing them to tell customer this is a software problem and it will be fixed shortly.

Oh I understand the situation perfectly well, but these people (you?) couldn't even wait for a software update. NOPE, its a hardware fault! Take it back! This ones faulty as well, take it back again! rant on forums!

All you needed was a little patience. Its nothing to do with spending a lot of money on a premium product. Apple became aware of the issue and worked to adding the fix into 7.0.3. Thats it. No big ordeal. It was just a software issue. Surely waiting for a software update is a simple enough thing to do. Its not like there were 10 updates and the problem still persisted. A little patience would serve you well (and probably reduce stress meaning you'll live a little longer too).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.