Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Just what the title says. I am using a rmbp 15" and the framerates are all over the place. Is it because all games need to be updated for the new opengl?

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Crap. I'm getting 27-30 FPS on mine craft compared to the 60 I usually get.

Safari also loads a little slower. Not loving this update.

DarthTechGeek

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Same issue here. I was hoping to get improved gaming frame rates with OSX Mavericks, or at least to have performance stay the same. Unfortunately, the settings I used with Mountain Lion to achieve 60 fps in COD4 and Starcraft 2 (playing natively in OSX), now get me 30 fps or worse in Mavericks. Hopefully there will be updates to these games to improve performance.

These are all with vsync enabled, since I do not like screen tearing.

Outside of games, Mavericks seems to work well and be snappier than Mountain Lion, and I am in general happy.

Note: This is on a 15" Early 2013 rMBP. I am set to use the discrete 650M GPU in my macbook, since the Mavericks update rechecked the automatic graphics switching box. Spotlight did not appear to be indexing while I was performing these tests.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Games may need updating. OpenGL 4.1

That is what I hope as well, I reset the SMC just in case and the problem is still there so it must be the new opengl.

Also cinebench aint working properly (poor framerates) so this points out to the opengl thing as well.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
The linked article(s) dont say anything too relevant that i can see.

Spotlight might be working hard if enabled.
Can someone disable spotlight and do some testing ??

I am at work atm unfortunately but will check once i go home and report.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
It'll be a pain if all games are going to need updated. I'll probably do a ML partition for gaming then if I need to.

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
i don't really game much, but fwiw, frame rates on oceanwave opencl have gone from ~540 to ~65 on a flashed 680.

DarthTechGeek

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Same issue here. I was hoping to get improved gaming frame rates with OSX Mavericks, or at least to have performance stay the same. Unfortunately, the settings I used with Mountain Lion to achieve 60 fps in COD4 and Starcraft 2 (playing natively in OSX), now get me 30 fps or worse in Mavericks.

For reference to others, changes in my game performance between Mountain Lion and Mavericks (same settings):

Call of Duty 2: Was 60 fps, Now 30 fps
Call of Duty 4: Was 60 fps, Now 30 fps
Starcraft 2: Was 60 fps, Now 30-20 fps
Doom 3: Was 60 fps, Still 60 fps
Quake 4: Was 60 fps, Still 60 fps
SW Empire at war: Does not display fps, but is noticeably slower

Doom 3 and Quake 4 may be suffering performance wise as well, but its hard to tell since they ran excessively well under Mountain Lion.

Hopefully it is just a need to update for OpenGL, and will occur sooner rather than later...

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
For reference to others, changes in my game performance between Mountain Lion and Mavericks (same settings):

Call of Duty 2: Was 60 fps, Now 30 fps
Call of Duty 4: Was 60 fps, Now 30 fps
Starcraft 2: Was 60 fps, Now 30-20 fps
Doom 3: Was 60 fps, Still 60 fps
Quake 4: Was 60 fps, Still 60 fps
SW Empire at war: Does not display fps, but is noticeably slower

Doom 3 and Quake 4 may be suffering performance wise as well, but its hard to tell since they ran excessively well under Mountain Lion.

Hopefully it is just a need to update for OpenGL, and will occur sooner rather than later...

Is that one update, or will each app have to update themselves?

fekimoki

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2006
Jakarta, Indonesia
How about Dota 2? Yeah that is why im still on the fence to upgrade to Mav. I tested it on the first build months ago. CSGO framerate is so bad.
Guys maybe you can consider bootcamp it. Playing games on Windows means high framerate and details ;)

DarthTechGeek

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Is that one update, or will each app have to update themselves?

If it is a compatibility issue with Mavericks OpenGL 4.1, then developers will have to update their own apps individually. However, if different games were developed using the same/similar engines (e.g. Doom 3 & Quake 4... or COD titles), then it may be easier for developers to release an update to related games once they have figured out how to optimize one of them.

I think the big questions are soon to become what games will developers deem suitable to update for OpengGL 4.1, and how long will it be before those updates are implemented?

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
For the record, I've also done a fresh install of Mavericks and still no improvement.

If I can track down a copy of the ML installer (never paid for it since it came on my computer) I will be installing it on another partition.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Something interesting.....

OK this is interesting:

My OpenGL bencher is claiming that certain OpenGL versions (4 and later) are NOT compatible in Mavericks. I'll post a screenshot at home.

Maybe they neglected to include the OpenGL extensions they were going to or maybe the bencher needs to be updated for Mavericks.

I'll test X-Plane10 when I get home later today.

superdx

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Awesome. Any lag for other games like dota and cs?

I don't have those games, but SC2 and Diablo 3 seem to run smoothly as before.

I have a 5 monitor setup. Maybe this only helps this particular kind of setup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.