Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Guys, I just bought an iPad Air and I'm loving it. Anyway, I just downloaded SKYPE. When the iPad Air is on standby (not on shutdown), why won't my Skype calls ring when someone is calling me via SKYPE? Do I really need the iPad Air "ON" at all times to hear any incoming (ring) calls? It seems having it "ON" is the only way I know if someone is calling me.

Is there any settings for this? Or a better alternative? Thanks.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Have you enabled push notifications?

Settings > Notification Center > Skype

Turn on all options.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012

Turn on all options.

If I don't have the Push Notiifcations on, is that also the reason why cant I see a new contact request to add, my friend says he has sent me a contact request umpteen number of times and I just don't bloody see it !! I wonder why ?

davwin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
As Haruhiko said, it is likely a notification setting as far as seeing the incoming calls while the device is in sleep mode. Also, make sure that in the Skype settings, you are set to Never log out under profile.

For contact requests - I don't believe there is a way to see these as individual notifications; only through the Skype app itself once opened.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011

Turn on all options.

Ok thanks. The SOUND was off. It now (rings) works when the iPad Air in on standby. The problem I'm now having is that I'm not getting any voice sound on my iPhone 4S. I hear the incoming ring, but no voice sound. I checked all settings on my 4S and everything is ON.

----------

As Haruhiko said, it is likely a notification setting as far as seeing the incoming calls while the device is in sleep mode. Also, make sure that in the Skype settings, you are set to Never log out under profile.

For contact requests - I don't believe there is a way to see these as individual notifications; only through the Skype app itself once opened.

I appreciate your help. You both were right. The SOUND was OFF. It's now working in standby mode. The problem I now encounter is that I don't hear the caller on my 4S. I checked all SKYPE settings on 4S - everything is ON. Volume is at MAX. Ringer is fine, but no voice sound.

davwin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
Glad you found the notification setting but, the sound issue on your iPhone 4S is a weird one...

Is it possible that you hit the speaker/earpiece button within Skype? If so, it may be set to use headset only. If nothing else - you could test it by doing a power off/on on the iPhone 4S and retry with a headset plugged in.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
It doesn't seem Skype works too well with the iPad Air. Can someone recommend a similar app?

Skype doesn't work well with any iOS device. It's a really poor experience. If you use it a lot on another device and then pick up your idevice the app literally freezes for minutes as it syncs and downloads your message history. It's horrible and no way to disable syncing.

If you use skype just for phone calls and not chat and video you can use google voice for phone calls. Google hang outs works too but is a bit clunky.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Skype doesn't work well with any iOS device. It's a really poor experience. If you use it a lot on another device and then pick up your idevice the app literally freezes for minutes as it syncs and downloads your message history. It's horrible and no way to disable syncing.

If you use skype just for phone calls and not chat and video you can use google voice for phone calls. Google hang outs works too but is a bit clunky.

Don't know what you are talking about, I skype every day in the US and to oversea, works great on video with comcast or with ATT LTE

I am useing the same account on my MBP, Ipad mini and my iphone 5S
its ring on all of them and I pick up the one I want,

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Don't know what you are talking about, I skype every day in the US and to oversea, works great on video with comcast or with ATT LTE

I am useing the same account on my MBP, Ipad mini and my iphone 5S
its ring on all of them and I pick up the one I want,

The problem is I use skype a lot on my MacBook. So there is a lot of conversation history. When I load up skype on my iPhone 5 and select to chat with contacts that there is a lot of history on my MacBook it will freeze the app as it is downloading the history of chat. This is extremely annoying.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011

I will look into this. I just need something similar to SKYPE to make free international calls - Skype to Skype. A few years ago, SKYPE was awesome on my MBA, now it's awful.

----------

I never thought about using google voice. Yes, all I need is to make FREE international calls. No need for video or text messaging, strictly voice calls only. I'll look into google voice now.

I googled GOOGLE VOICE. It led me to the APP Store to an app called TALKATONE.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
The problem is I use skype a lot on my MacBook. So there is a lot of conversation history. When I load up skype on my iPhone 5 and select to chat with contacts that there is a lot of history on my MacBook it will freeze the app as it is downloading the history of chat. This is extremely annoying.

Hi. I got Google Voice setup on my iPad Air. Thanks for this suggestion. The only problem is you need a phone to make those calls. Google Voice doesn't work in the same way as SKYPE where you can make calls directly from your iPad. Does Google Voice allow the same procedure.

Also, on sign-up, it created an Google Voice Icon with a phone pad on my iPAir. Can I use this phone pad to dial and make those international calls? Because, when I sign-in online to GV, it provides a different format to make calls: CALL > NUMBER > (drop down menu) COUNTRY FLAG SELECTION international calling > CONNECT.

The Google Voice icon on the iPad doesn't offer the drop down menu for the country I want to dial. So I assume I just need to dial 011 followed my the country code and number.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
The relatively new Google+ Hangouts allows you to easily make phone calls via wifi using your Google Voice number. I use it for wifi calling from my iPod Touch and it works great. Very good voice quality in both directions. I've never tried Skype.

All4114All

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2014
Switzerland
Incoming Skype Calls not ringing on my iPad Air

Thanks to advice above managed to solve problem in three steps. One (hardware) was a new discovery for me:

SOFTWARE
- Settings
- Notification Center (made sure Skype was showing under 'INCLUDE' - see advice from others)
- Sykpe - made sure Sounds-slider was showing green = ON

HARDWARE
- On right-hand side at top of iPad Air there are two press-buttons for volume and mute
- Above them is a very small slide-button that I had ignored to date
- If the slide-button is showing a red dot at the top then the Notifications/Sounds Setting is OFF
- Slide the slide-button up so that the red dot disappears and then Notifications/Sounds will be on
- This was what finally get Skype incoming calls to ring perfectly on my iPad Air

NOTE: I presume the slide-button is a new feature that was not on previous iPads and is to allow the fast growing business community to quickly switch off FaceTime/Skype and other alerts during meetings.

COMFORT
- Settings
- Do Not Disturb
- Scheduled - make sure the Sheduled-Slide is showing green and adjust times if they do not suit you. I have scheduled no calls between 22:00 hours at night and 07:00 in the morning. Great feature.

Now have Skype working perfectly on my iPad Air and it is a great experience.

Last edited:

Chrispo

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2016
Guys, I just bought an iPad Air and I'm loving it. Anyway, I just downloaded SKYPE. When the iPad Air is on standby (not on shutdown), why won't my Skype calls ring when someone is calling me via SKYPE? Do I really need the iPad Air "ON" at all times to hear any incoming (ring) calls? It seems having it "ON" is the only way I know if someone is calling me.

Is there any settings for this? Or a better alternative? Thanks.
[doublepost=1470550553][/doublepost]OK THIS WORKED FOR ME -- To enable Skype calls while in sleep mode go to

Notifications
Allow Calls From -- ALL CONTACTS

It's not very intuitive - you would think if you ticked anyone it would work -
however, it doesn't, you need to tick "all contacts"

It worked for me.

Good luck guys....

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
[doublepost=1470550553][/doublepost]OK THIS WORKED FOR ME -- To enable Skype calls while in sleep mode go to

Notifications
Allow Calls From -- ALL CONTACTS

It's not very intuitive - you would think if you ticked anyone it would work -
however, it doesn't, you need to tick "all contacts"

It worked for me.

Good luck guys....

You're talking to those who posted in 2013 and one in 2014. This is 2016

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.