Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dorsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Morning all

I'm not much of a techie but try my best.

Recently bought a new 256GB MacBook Pro. Also bought a Windows 8.1 disc as need to dual boot.

Downloaded Boot Camp and copied the zip file onto a USB stick like it asked me to - so far so good I think.

Then ran the Boot Camp installer, all seemed to go well, I decided to partition 156/100 in favour of iOS as I'd expect iOS to take up more room because of iPhoto.

So far so good, Windows CD is in and it flicks over to the Windows configuration part at which point it asks me which partition I want to install on - the smaller one presumably??? So I selected this.

So, Windows is now installed (not properly I may add, network drivers for example are missing) but more importantly at this stage - I can't fine a way of switching back over to iOS. I'm now absolutely bricking it that I've installed on the wrong partition, overwriting iOS and subsequently losing my whole iPhoto library!

Somebody please help!!!!

Thanks...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A point of clarification, iOS is Apple's mobile operating system and OSX is their desktop OS.

If you hold down the option key while the computer is rebooting you'll be presented with a list of bootable volumes. If you did not over-write your OSX partition it will show up

Donning my moderator head, I modified your title to be more accurate and not confuse other members

Dorsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Result, it's still there!! Seems I'm not the idiot I think I am apart from thinking I'm dual booting an iphone apparently! Oopps!

Ok, I guess my next question is the fact I've got no network adapters so can't get online via Windows. I'm also noticing the volume keys don't work.

At the very end of the install process I did get some kind of error msg about Boot Camp not supporting 64 bit Windows or something but I just clicked through it.

Any ideas?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As quakers stated, the drivers you need to install to get them functioning is on your usb drive. Boot back into windows, use file explorer and double click on the setup so you can install all that you need.

I've not done this in a long time so the details are a bit hazy for me.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
you should install the bootcamp drivers first, which will restart your system back up to windows. once back in windows.. look at your tray notification - there you'll see the bootcamp setting icon. you can set your default startup disk from there (bootcamp will automatically set windows as default, so you can change this back to os x if you'd like). the next time you power on your laptop, and you'd like to use either or.. hold down the option key as soon as you hear the bootup chime.

Dorsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Opened USB, found the WinPEDrivers file, clicked the Setup application but get the error msg: this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
You need to go into the Bootcamp folder and click on the setup.exe file there.
If you get the same error message as before (that Bootcamp64 drivers are not supported) you may need to go into each individual folder and click on its setup.exe file.

Dorsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Thanks!

Still getting the same error msg so it looks as though I'll have to do each one individually which is a pain as there's quite a few!

Just out of interest, any idea why I'd be getting that error msg? MacBook is only 3 weeks old direct from the store and running Windows 8.1

Dorsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
*****! Have I deleted OSX when dual booting?!?!

Grrr...manually installing all these files is a nightmare. There's so much to do, I swear I'm missing things and I'm getting errors on quite a few too.

Why hasn't this all worked automatically??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.