Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
Am I the only one that doesn't understand how they can potentially open earlier than midnight for a specific "Black Friday" sale??! Lol

Decent deals and as usual it will be worth the trip to the US to stock up on a few things :)

halfapie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
I thought Target's black friday ad said $100 gift card with ANY iPad (not mini but size) not just iPad Air.

Yup the fine print says "Gift card offer applies to all other iPads, including iPad 2."

Last edited:

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Save your coin folks, there will be huge refurb deals week after Xmas when many of these get returned, especially the iPad Air, when the iPadAir2 is announced for release in March.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Which of these deals will be available online? Not going to a store on this holiday lol at lines.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
$200 Target Trade in + $100 gift card = iPad 1st Gen --> iPad Air 16GB for $200

----------

Save your coin folks, there will be huge refurb deals week after Xmas when many of these get returned, especially the iPad Air, when the iPadAir2 is announced for release in March.

March? I thought it was February!

/s

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I think I might just do this myself. Having Elite Plus has a few small benefits. With the savings I may also swap up to a LTE version. I did not think I would miss it originally.

On a side note, has anyone ever returned a product at Best Buy and used Reward Zone gift cards to purchase? I was curious if those get refunded as well. I would assume they would.

Yes. They re-issue the rewards certificate with a new expiration date based on the date of the return rather than the original expiration date (a good thing). Essentially, you will have to re-purchase without those immediately available. But that is not all that bad either - particularly if you need the dollars to count to reach $2500 goal this year (The jump to $3500 begins next year.) Using rewards, just as using a gift card, reduces the purchase amount that counts towards the goal, and of course neither generate additional rewards. Gaming the system, I actually saved all my rewards until after I met the $2500, and now have about $125 in rewards to spend before Jan 1.

Recent change, Nov 1...Do not use 0% financing if you can avoid it. While the purchase will count towards the $2500 (or $3500) goal, they removed ALL rewards points eligibility on that purchase, even 1:1.

Not a change, but ongoing policy and something to be aware of...and may release you to shop elsewhere, or other options. Any excess over $2500 does not rollover to count towards the $3500 next year. Jan 1 your account is set to $0 (Feb only reaffirms/adjusts your status level) which I believe is a major marketing blunder. HAving already met the $2500, I am going to pick up a $2599 MacBook Pro retina (0% financing) and use the 45 days to my advantage. With that overage that would be reset to zero, return it and repurchase (card 30 day cycle 100% payoff) and suddenly have that purchase counting for next year.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Then again, only in the United States will a sale known as "Black Friday" become notorious enough to gain such a name...

It's called that because traditionally it was considered the weekend where stores would move from being "in the red" (not profitable) to being "in the black" (profitable). Nothing more nefarious than that.

stewdaviesuk

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
At least you get some deals in the USA.

Tried it here in UK after I heard that someone got a discounted deal at my local PC World store. They told me they were in serious trouble for discounting Apple products and could not offer me any discounts no matter how much I spent!

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I wonder if Best Buy will let me price match my iPad Air... I got it Nov 1st but I have a 45 day return window being that I'm "Elite Plus" status.

No. Their price match policy excludes Black Friday.

Everything excludes Black Friday. It's its own pricing bubble, unto itself. :)

----------

I think they let me return and rebuy my Mac Mini last year... hopefully they'll have LTE models in stock by then.

You'd probably be well served by coordinating with your local store just to make sure they have it. It would avoid being disappointed by just popping in on the busiest shopping day of the year, just hoping they'll have it. :)

----------

With 2 year contract.

That does come with the deal. :)

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
It's nice, but nothing that makes me regret getting my Air via Post compared with dealing with the insanity during Black friday

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Anyone know if you can renew a 2yr subscription to get the deal for the 5s at walmart, or is it only for new contracts?

Who's your carrier? Are you paying month to month? (Are you done with your 2-years?)

----------

bummer the $200 off retina is only for the 4gb model. Wish it was for the 15" and higher end 13s. that iPad air deal at target though is really tempting. Idk what i'd spend the gift card on though lol

I know, right? At least with a Best Buy gift card, you know the chances are very good that you can find something cool to spend it on.

----------

Any good 3d hdtv deals out there?

Gotta be honest. 3D has become just another feature. Like Smart. It's not the big thing anymore. HDTV manufacturers have moved on to 4K (UHD) and OLED.

But, I don't say that to suggest that you won't find great deals on 3D TVs, but it won't be the "3D" that they're trying to sell in the process.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Then again, only in the United States will a sale known as "Black Friday" become notorious enough to gain such a name...

It's named such because many retail shops make all of their profits in the holiday season and run short (Red ink) the rest of the year.. So its the first Friday their books are back into "Black ink".

Don't confuse the yearly "Black Friday" with other "Black" economic downturn events.... In this case its a good thing... Other than a few temp shop girls getting trodden under foot. But that would make it more "reddish" Friday.

----------

Of strongly doubt that would happen. The closest iPads have been refreshed was nine months with the iPad "4" and Apple really tried to sneak it in ... They weren't trying to upset folks but changed the cycle date.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
It's pretty clear that they won't be included. I know you guys think you can get away with shady things at the register with dumb-enough employees but everything is linked to the barcode and the fact of the matter is Target Corporate isn't gonna mess this up. As of now the old iPad mini sells for $299. No gift card. The Black Friday deal is you get a $75 gift card. You really think Target would drop the price of the Mini Retina by $100 AND give you a $75 gift card? Especially when the iPad Air price is only dropped $20? Haha. Ha. Ha.

Fools.

"Thanks for shopping at Target and I hope you enjoy your XBox One... and have a very Merry ChristmaKwanzaaHanukkah."

FWIW I agree with you that they are not including the rMini. That doesn't mean they couldn't mess something up. They sold XB1's before the 22nd of November.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
You folk in the States are spoilt. No such deals in most places...:( *cries to himself*:D

You need to get businesses to start having crazy sales the day after a national holiday, then get millions of wackos to queue up at 4am on the day of the sale. After a few decades of this, the businesses can erode the national holiday by beginning the sales around dinner time on the actual holiday.

Meh, never indulged in going to Black Friday sales, and I make a point out of never shopping on national holidays....

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
Maybe someone already mentioned this, but can you use the Target gift card to purchase the iPad or do you get that after checkout?

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
You folk in the States are spoilt. No such deals in most places...:( *cries to himself*:D
You don't grasp how horrible the conditions are for these deals. It's bad enough methinks I'll pay the extra $100 just to not stand in line at midnight with a thousand other combative ...shoppers... just to find out they sold out of the iPad rMini some four people ahead of me.

auriconis

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
NJ
Has Best Buy started carrying the iPad Air with cellular yet? Will they be by the holiday? Do these deals apply?

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
Apple Store - BF Deals

So, I know Best Buy/Target/etc won't match the Black Friday deals, but iirc, I thought the Apple Stores refunded the difference for recent purchases.

I'm scheduled to pick up my iPad air today, but I might as well wait 2 weeks if they won't honor the discounted BF price if I come in with a receipt later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.