Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PollyK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
Unlike the other new OSs (Firefox, Sailfish, Ubuntu) Tizen has some real big players behind it. Namely Samsung and Intel. They just had their developer conference in Korea and revealed some updates on the OS. They have just signed on 36 new partners. Its quite obvious that Samsung is letting everyone know that they intend to fill their biggest hole which is Software. But I think what is coming even more clear is that Samsung wants to do what nobody has done so far, connect all devices through one OS. So that means mobile, desktops, home appliances, TVs, and even your car. Jaguar/Land Rover, and Toyota just signed on to have their in car infotainment system run on Tizen. In fact, Tizen has already hit the market in Samsung's NX300M Camera last October. Appbackr and Gamesalad have also committed to the OS. Another big announcement was that Nokia Here Maps will be source for Maps and navigation. That's huge news. I honestly think Samsung need to get this right on release and not worry about rushing the OS. They're dominating Android as if it is their own OS anyways, so they got some time to spare. The first Tizen phone is expected early 2014 running Tizen 2.2.1 while Tizen 3.0 set for Q3 2014.

Source

Source

Source

Last edited:

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
that's great news. although Intel tends to dump their support . look at what happened to meego. good thing Tizen will be able to run android apps. so there's no lack in that department.
lets see what devices samsung brings us.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Tizen looks like a crappy Android copy from what I saw. Why would anyone choose it over Android that has a much bigger ecosystem?

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
I welcome Tizen

Not because I seek something other than Android or iOS, because I have great appreciation for each of them. Yet variety and choices are a crucial part of an active, competitive market.

The more competition the better, it insures choices, better pricing, and keeps companies like Apple from coasting on the backs of its customers.

I'd be thrilled to witness Tizen come in and shake things up.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Tizen looks like a crappy Android copy from what I saw. Why would anyone choose it over Android that has a much bigger ecosystem?

Because android apps work on it therefore as long as Samsung get the apps on its own app store then the economy system will likely be better than both windows and Black Berry.

Samsung have been slowly building it's own apps to replace stock android ones, and all of them sync via your Samsung account not your Gmail account. Clearly the background work is being put in place for Tizen to be offered as an alternative.

Skinned to look like Touch wiz and with an app store with most of the big android apps on - it may be more paable to average consu ers than many on forums give credit for.

I'd wager most regular consumers don't know what version of Android their device is rocking. Give then a device with everything bar play store on a device running Tizen skinned like TouchWiz with all the Samsung apps they know - and the main biggies on Samsung app world, they would likely find it hard to spot difference.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Because android apps work on it therefore as long as Samsung get the apps on its own app store then the economy system will likely be better than both windows and Black Berry.

BB10 has an Android 4.2.2 runtime which is just getting standard native API support, and the ability to directly install .apk's, which you can get at a variety of alternative app stores, including Amazon's.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
BB10 has an Android 4.2.2 runtime which is just getting standard native API support, and the ability to directly install .apk's, which you can get at a variety of alternative app stores, including Amazon's.

I'd actually like to try one of these out, you can get the Z10 quite cheap now.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I'd actually like to try one of these out, you can get the Z10 quite cheap now.

Yes, I got in Europe for about $300 including tax a few weeks ago, and in the UK Carphone Warehouse is now selling it for £180.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I always welcome new players into the mobile rhelm. However, with Samsung I remain cautious. They look to be emulating Apple by creating a proprietary/closed eco system and this is what worries me. Their smartwatch is a prime example of where I see Samsung heading... you have to buy Samsung products to work with Samsung products. I don't like that. I have no problem with a company making their own stuff, but make it open to 3rd party developers and hardware.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
I always welcome new players into the mobile rhelm. However, with Samsung I remain cautious. They look to be emulating Apple by creating a proprietary/closed eco system and this is what worries me. Their smartwatch is a prime example of where I see Samsung heading... you have to buy Samsung products to work with Samsung products. I don't like that. I have no problem with a company making their own stuff, but make it open to 3rd party developers and hardware.

Yup. This is why I'm converting to Windows 8/WP 8 ecosystem since MS licenses their software to everyone.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
One of the things I like about my Nexus device is it runs stock android. As much as I love my Samsung devices, I really hate having two apps that serve the same purpose. And between the two, I'll choose Google's app over Samsung's.

If a closed ecosystem is the direction Samsung is heading towards. I will start looking at other devices for my future purchases.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
The thing that jumps out to me about Tizen, is that in comparison to TouchWiz, it looks so sleek, it looks great, unified. The stock Tizen apps look great too. It shows Samsung clearly have capable designers. Why is touchwiz such a jumbled, ugly mix of different designs? Why don't they make touchwiz look like Tizen? Minus the circle icons. Make the stock apps look like Tizens etc.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
The thing that jumps out to me about Tizen, is that in comparison to TouchWiz, it looks so sleek, it looks great, unified. The stock Tizen apps look great too. It shows Samsung clearly have capable designers. Wy is touchwiz such a jumbled, ugly mix of different designs? Why don't they make touchwiz look like Tizen? Minus the circle icons. Make the stock apps look like Tizens etc.

Marketing genius? Get people accustomed to touchwiz and then offer a slimmer sleeker look with Tizen so it's easier for people to switch over.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
One of the things I like about my Nexus device is it runs stock android. As much as I love my Samsung devices, I really hate having two apps that serve the same purpose. And between the two, I'll choose Google's app over Samsung's.

If a closed ecosystem is the direction Samsung is heading towards. I will start looking at other devices for my future purchases.

I don't think that it's going to be nearly as closed as iOS. Google needs the android users to use their services and I think Samsung doesn't want to serve their customers to Google anymore. That doesn't mean People cannot use the Play store anymore, but it doesn't have to be on the device by default, does it?

So that's one point; I don't see Samsung artificially close down their Devices. But obviously they are interested in encouraging customers to buy as much Samsung products as possible, by making an ecosystem like apple already has and going even further (Since their range of different markets is much wider). You already can see this with the Galaxy gear: Sure, you can buy it, but you better make sure that you already bought a Galaxy Smartphone, otherwise you're going to have a bad time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.