Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The first iOS 7 game controller launched today, with MOGA officially announcing its MOGA Ace Power controller for the iPhone 5/5c/5s and the fifth-generation iPod touch. The expandable controller is designed to plug into the Lightning port on Apple's newer devices and features dual analog sticks, a d-pad, action buttons, a headphone jack, and L1/R1 L2/R2 buttons.

MOGA's controller includes MOGA Boost, which will charge an iOS device while it is plugged into the controller, extending gameplay. It also has an LED battery life indicator, a pause button, and a button that controls the lock functionality on the iOS device.

mogaacepower.jpg
Rumors of MOGA's controller originally surfaced shortly after WWDC, where the controller API was first revealed. In addition to MOGA, other companies like Logitech are also said to be producing iOS game controllers with similar features.

Eli Hodapp, editor-in-chief of our sister site TouchArcade, had the opportunity to go hands-on with the MOGA Ace Power and he has a detailed review along with a video demonstrating how the controller works.

According to Hodapp, while the Ace Power has a lot of potential for games like shooters and titles originally developed for consoles, it does suffer from some significant limitations and issues. Two major complaints were its Lightning port connection, which prevents it from functioning with the iPad or Apple TV, and a lack of testing by developers who have already implemented support into their apps.
Even in the best games, rough edges are everywhere when using an iOS 7 controller. Virtual buttons still persist on screen regardless of whether or not you're using a controller in most of the games I've tried. I've been the most excited for the potential of Bluetooth iOS 7 controllers, and having one that uses the Lightning port is vaguely disappointing because of the limitations it imposes.

The latency introduced through AirPlay is substantial, and I can't imagine anyone playing a game on their TV via AirPlay using a controller for anything past the initial "Huh, well that's neat," sensation. It's "playable," in massive air quotes, but isn't a great experience by any means.
In comparison to a standard console controller, Hodapp also pointed out that the MOGA Ace Power didn't feel worth its substantial $99 price tag, due to its texture, the rattling of the sliding mechanism, and the buttons. Despite these negatives, he declared it an important step forward in iOS gaming.

At the current point in time, multiple games offer iOS 7 controller support, including titles like Bastion, Dead Trigger 2, and the recently released Oceanhorn. Additional developers will build controller support into their apps now that the hardware is available to consumers, and software support is also likely to improve with an actual product available for testing.

The MOGA Ace Power controller, priced at $99, will be available from the MOGA website, the Online Apple Store and Apple retail stores on Wednesday. For additional details on the Ace Power, make sure to check out the full TouchArcade review.

Article Link: First iOS 7 Game Controller 'MOGA Ace Power' Now Available

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Alright!

Let's see how iOS games start to evolve now!! :D

This should make FPS games a lot better. :)

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
$99 seems a bit overpriced here. Hoping that Logitech comes up with a cheaper one.

Yea, we really need competition for these controllers!
I don't get why Apple never made their own controller. The gaming situation would be so much better right now if they did...

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
There is absolutely no way I would pay $100 to play games on my iPhone. Screen is too small and games aren't nearly good enough. Wish I could say they were on to something, but I doubt this ever catches on.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Well, a lot more games would be more viable now. Fighting games (like street fighter), 3d-platform games like dungeon hunter and meltdown, even the humble tetris game.

Shame it doesn't support bluetooth, or we could get it to work on iPads as well. :(

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Yea, we really need competition for these controllers!
I don't get why Apple never made their own controller. The gaming situation would be so much better right now if they did...

If Apple made one, it'd be $199 instead of $99.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It's a start. Let's see where this goes.

Needs Bluetooth support on Apple TV as well...and Apple TV needs iOS support.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
There is absolutely no way I would pay $100 to play games on my iPhone. Screen is too small and games aren't nearly good enough. Wish I could say they were on to something, but I doubt this ever catches on.

You really don't get it though... They're not on to something, this isn't something that needs to catch on - for over 20 years people have been paying hundreds of dollars to play video games on small, handheld devices.

There are a bunch of great games to iOS already, and with the controller support, this opens up for all the great titles of handheld consoles to be ported to iOS. This opens up a whole new market. A lot of people that are currently sporting both a smartphone and a (several) handheld console(s) can now simply get a smartphone and turn it into a proper handheld console with a 75 dollar controller.

NektariosTheCat

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Two major complaints were its Lightning port connection, which prevents it from functioning with the iPad or Apple TV..

Article Link: First iOS 7 Game Controller 'MOGA Ace Power' Now Available

Uhhhh - iPads since 4th gen have has lightning connectors. This statement is clearly wrong.

As soon as I saw an obvious error I scrolled back up to the author line, no surprise to find who wrote us another erroneous and/or confused article

Between half the articles on MR being poorly written, and Eli over at TA attacking the community, I have pretty much lost all interest in visiting either of these sites

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
$99 seems a bit overpriced here. Hoping that Logitech comes up with a cheaper one.

i think it's priced right, it charges your phone and is a controller. at $99 MSRP it'll probably end up being sold for $89 or so once its been out for a month or two and retailers pick it up

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Uhhhh - iPads since 4th gen have has lightning connectors. This statement is clearly wrong.

As soon as I saw an obvious error I scrolled back up to the author line, no surprise to find who wrote us another erroneous and/or confused article

Between half the articles on MR being poorly written, and Eli over at TA attacking the community, I have pretty much lost all interest in visiting either of these sites

Yes, but the controller must be able to fit around the device in order to plug into the lightning connector. Something it obviously cannot do with the iPad or even iPad mini. This wouldn't be an issue if the controller connected over bluetooth instead.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

Maybe you'll regain that interest once you actually take a look at the controller and realise that the part of the controller that houses the lightning connector is form fitted for the iPhone...

Butt-hurt rants that are full of fail are always amusing. Thank you.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
And then boom... Apple releases iPhone 6 with 6" display that won't fit any of these controllers.

Except that Apple will not release a 6" iPhone. But change of form factor is very likely so your point is still valid. I don't really see the point of these controllers esp. since most of the people won't get it, i.e. won't have very comprehensive support from the developers.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Steve Jobs would have never allowed this to happen. He was not fond of games: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/640106/

Only way would've been the jailbreak community but then these controllers would not be sold legally.

Nonsense.

Steve Job's was a business man and business men like to make money and control their market space. The evolution of iOS is different to anything else before, he would have come around.

He also wanted to destroy Android and anything that would strengthen the iOS platform would get his vote. Accessories which make iOS look competitive to console handhelds arguably strengthen the iOS platform.

Apple has tried and failed miserably to keep everything for iDevices under control and proprietary, until they finally realised that 3rd Party's were better at it then they are at times.

Remember the stupid propriety attempts of the recessed headphone jack in the original iPhone?

The even more ridiculous iPod HIFI, which was overpriced (more than a Bose Sound dock) and was not even compatible with all the current Pods at the time?

Apple long ago recognised that they need the 3rd party ECO system, in order to succeed on the scale it does today.

Steve Job's was the same man who originally regarded todays very excellent third party app developers as jailbreakers! He wanted to control App's too. Schiller and Levinson had to hound him to accept reality.

"When it first came out in early 2007, there were no apps you could buy from outside developers, and Jobs initially resisted allowing them," writes Isaacson. "He didn't want outsiders to create applications for the iPhone that could mess it up, infect it with viruses, or pollute its integrity." - Official Biography.

You see, Steve made lot's of mistakes as well as good calls. However, I am guessing you would be one of those people who would have said steve would not have allowed the eBooks scandal, if he were not about at the time?

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
With this first gen "adapter" Nintendo handhelds have nothing to worry about.

This will be DOA.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
What's the game in the picture?

Looks like a racing game with the yellow buggy?

I'm pretty sure it's just a fake marketing screenshot.

It looks unplayable. The camera is too close to the car, you can't look ahead far enough, the car is too wide for the road, the time display doesn't match the course map, ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.