Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
The problem here is that taxes are a problem that will influence business decisions.

My paycheck comes from a business. Health care for many has come from businesses. Wouldn't it be a great idea for states to have a favorable tax environment for businesses?

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
What are you talking about? How do you think they got $100 billion in the bank? By not wasting it in the U.S. on overpriced labor and pointless taxes.

Now when they have a chance to create some jobs in the U.S. because of a tax break, you slam them for not manufacturing everything in the U.S.

The government has to offer tax breaks to Apple before they bring back some jobs here. It doesn't work the other way around.

Apple uses a LOT of the US gov't influence and power in it's patents and litigation.....and Apple doesn't want to pay for it, pushing the burden of that infrastructure on everyone else. Companies need to pay their fair share.

Everyone is thinking about taxes the wrong way. Everyone needs to determine what services a society needs and wants to have. If that adds up to X, then we need X amount of taxes. Not Y amount of taxes.

Services need to be cut first, not taxes....and hope it all works out in the end.

randfee2

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Germany
this is ridiculous! Every small company has to pay full taxes yet those large corporations with billions of profits get tax cuts.... all while even the (considered) rich countries are drowning in debt.

Screw the politicians that make this possible!

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
In before the pro-IRS crowd complains about big companies getting tax breaks. If you create hundreds of jobs in my state I would gladly vote on it!

Believing that a company with half a trillion in cash should be taxed higher than a citizen making $40,000/yr does not make you "pro-IRS".

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Apple uses a LOT of the US gov't influence and power in it's patents and litigation.....and Apple doesn't want to pay for it, pushing the burden of that infrastructure on everyone else. Companies need to pay their fair share.

Everyone is thinking about taxes the wrong way. Everyone needs to determine what services a society needs and wants to have. If that adds up to X, then we need X amount of taxes. Not Y amount of taxes.

Services need to be cut first, not taxes....and hope it all works out in the end.

Now replace Apple with private taxpayers like you and me. We all take legal loopholes to minimize the taxes we pay. The only thing different is the scale here. I have an accountant that finds the most write-offs with creative accounting for me. Between shutdowns wasteful spending, I trust how I use my my own money more than the government at this point.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is just stupid.

I'm all for private companies making profits and such - but why do Apple really need tax breaks when they have over $100 billion in the bank?

Think about what a tax is... it's public money. Companies don't pay taxes, their customers do. So a tax to Apple is a tax to you. Tax breaks simply remove the unnecessary transfer of money and [theoretically] lowers the costs for everyone.

Would you prefer that unreasonably high taxes deter grown and development? Because that's what happens in the real world.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
The problem here is that taxes are a problem that will influence business decisions.

My paycheck comes from a business. Health care for many has come from businesses. Wouldn't it be a great idea for states to have a favorable tax environment for businesses?

business dont have any income if it wasnt for consumers.

its a cycle. its not just about corporations.

consumers need certain things and will buy them its just a matter of which brand

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
this is ridiculous! Every small company has to pay full taxes yet those large corporations with billions of profits get tax cuts.... all while even the (considered) rich countries are drowning in debt.

As I stated in my other reply, companies don't ultimately pay taxes, those costs are passed along to their customers in some form.

What would you do if, tomorrow, you were told that you got a tax break? Would you say "nah, taxes are important, I'll keep paying", or would you take the break?

There's nothing wrong with what Apple is doing here. It has nothing to do with how much money they have in the bank.

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Think about what a tax is... it's public money. Companies don't pay taxes, their customers do. So a tax to Apple is a tax to you. Tax breaks simply remove the unnecessary transfer of money and [theoretically] lowers the costs for everyone.

Would you prefer that unreasonably high taxes deter grown and development? Because that's what happens in the real world.

That is the lie people do not understand. Since the early 80's there has been an emergence of consulting companies that help other companies determine the maximum price they can charge consumers. There no longer is a standard formula companies use to sell their products bases off of raw material costs and labor. These lower taxes are nothing more than a transfer of wealth to the top.

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Now replace Apple with private taxpayers like you and me. We all take legal loopholes to minimize the taxes we pay. The only thing different is the scale here. I have an accountant that finds the most write-offs with creative accounting for me. Between shutdowns wasteful spending, I trust how I use my my own money more than the government at this point.

It is all manipulation...The tax rate can bring in X amount of dollars, but if we are all spending Y amount of dollars.....what really is the tax rate? It's the current generation stealing from the future.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
This is just stupid.

I'm all for private companies making profits and such - but why do Apple really need tax breaks when they have over $100 billion in the bank?

It's especially the case with the income and distribution of wealth. Apple looks for tax breaks yet those working in the lowest wage (probably doing the most work than some top paid execs) paying departments producing Apple products in factories can barely afford to live.

Tax breaks are a standard way for individual states to tempt corporations to build factories and establish headquarters in their state. The Arizona government obviously feels that the jobs created and revenue flowing into the local economy, as well as the halo effect from having Apple building stuff in their state, is a net positive for them.

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Tax breaks are a standard way for individual states to tempt corporations to build factories and establish headquarters in their state. The Arizona government obviously feels that the jobs created and revenue flowing into the local economy, as well as the halo effect from having Apple building stuff in their state, is a net positive for them.

Or the politician's careers......

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
The way communities whore them selves like this....
So what corporations basically say is that they want to use all the local infrastructure and not have to pay for it....so everyone else's taxes go up to compensate.
Sure, they bring in some jobs....so what. All communities should just say no. What will happen, corps not build new plants?

About 1300 contractors to help build the facility and 700 Apple employees on staff. I call that give them the tax break and let MY economy grow here. I live here and its a great asset to this community to draw more employment in our doors. Im a freelance photographer how in the hell do you think I put food on my table by companies like this and the hundreds that support these companies if not thousands. People need to get there freaking head out of the sand. You need industry to grow cities and people to support them. These tax breaks are meaningless in the long run to the people that reside in these cities . Everything grows from this our schools our kids our future.

Outside of that Apple is a great community company that will give back to organizations in need. Screw your taxes, Im paying for the same thing in your town too. We all our, thats America and democracy.

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
this is how apple has billions and billions in their bank account. same way with all the riches people that pay less in tax break leaving all the middle class like myself paying for all the hefty tax.

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
What are you talking about? How do you think they got $100 billion in the bank? By not wasting it in the U.S. on overpriced labor and pointless taxes.

Now when they have a chance to create some jobs in the U.S. because of a tax break, you slam them for not manufacturing everything in the U.S.

The government has to offer tax breaks to Apple before they bring back some jobs here. It doesn't work the other way around.

Read my last paragraph.

And why should the US have to give subsidies and tax breaks to Apple? Why can't the company just do the right thing and move production over to the US. If the US really wants to promote production in the United States, they should make an industry-wide tax rate which is competitive instead of offering tax breaks to individual companies.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
This is just stupid.

It's especially the case with the income and distribution of wealth. Apple looks for tax breaks yet those working in the lowest wage (probably doing the most work than some top paid execs) paying departments producing Apple products in factories can barely afford to live.

Apple should be producing everything in the United States - and it's the United States governments fault for not acting quick enough when these technology companies started shifting production to Asia and beyond. It's not political, it's moral and ethics we're talking here and it's the fault of whose at the top of both Apple and the US government.

Completely agree. And reasons like this and this (http://news.yahoo.com/special-repor...s-conceal-epic-waste-144950858--business.html) which contributes to our country deficit but they expect ME to pay taxes or else I lose everything.

MacinTek

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2007
Fallbrook, CA
Remember when???

Sixteen years ago, Apple was at the brink of disappearing from existence. Now, they employ thousands of well-paid people with equal rights and benefits and is the the most valuable brand in the world.
They didn't get there by being stupid and careless with their money. They got there by playing it smart... focussing on a few good products of high quality instead of numerous product lines of crap.
Apple holds onto their money because they learned the hard way that R&D costs money... lots of money if you want to innovate. Wasting money on taxes when other companies get breaks is mindlessly wasteful. The government gets too much of it anyway, and they don't earn it, they take it... and when you have money you don't earn, you tend to waste it... present situation in D.C. included.

If you include Apple's vendors, their products employ millions of workers around the world. Apple is moving some manufacturing to the U.S. but, face it, there aren't enough people in America's employment pool to manufacture iOS products on a scale of tens of millions... that takes a country (unfortunately) like China with billions of people willing to work in a factory model to earn money to support their families who have languished in China's communist society for too long anyway.

Bottom line is... Apple earns their tax breaks. Just because someone can afford to pay more taxes than a competitor, it doesn't mean they should have to.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
In before the pro-IRS crowd complains about big companies getting tax breaks. If you create hundreds of jobs in my state I would gladly vote on it!

And THAT is why there will never be full employment.
- it raises wages
- it stops tax breaks

People are simply another resource to be managed, and if they can keep an artificial labour excess they can keep wages down.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA

Create a bigger company...problem solved.

----------

This is just stupid.

Apple should be producing everything in the United States - and it's the United States governments fault for not acting quick enough when these technology companies started shifting production to Asia and beyond. It's not political, it's moral and ethics we're talking here and it's the fault of whose at the top of both Apple and the US government.

Moral? Ethics? Goverment? And you used them all in the same sentence?

IMPRESSIVE.

OC40

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Chicago, IL
Those 700 permanent jobs will all be taxed... permanently. The temporary 2,000 will be taxed as well. All of those people are buying things locally (sales tax), renting or buying properties (property tax), etc. Then everyone that services those workers will see business increase as well, thus more taxes and wages.

This will be a net benefit for the community, and is worth it.

This is what many fail to realize - Net benefit for the Phoenix MSA.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
I'm all for breaks to incentivize growth. What I'm against (and I'm not expecting Apple to do this) is companies leaving after the breaks end.

A restaurant in our town had tax breaks, when those dried up, the restaurant moved to the next town for the next round of breaks. That is dishonest and exploitative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.