Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lokey

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2003
$60 for the HondaLink Navigation app? Really? Really?!?

Just let me use the free Apple or Google Maps, thank you!

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Sounds like a lot, but just a few years ago, car manufacturers were routinely charging an additional $1.5K to $2.5K for a crappy in-dash screen that did nothing but navigation, with really stale/sketchy map data. And map data had to be updated through a disc, which you could get from your dealer for several hundred dollars. So, progress.

Let's hope for some more progress because this still doesn't cut it. Maybe Ford/GM, Toyota or one of the German auto companies will introduce a much better implementation of iOS in the car, forcing Honda to step up their efforts for 2015/2016 models.

Garafraxa

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Only Honda has control of the apps that can be shown on your dash screen, so they're basically using this to sell you the privilege of displaying maps on that screen for $60.

That's something iOS in the car would have done for free, and probably with a much better UI.

It seems like they're competing with iOS in the car instead of adopting it. This is very disappointing news from a consumer perspective.

My thoughts exactly. I was really excited about this announcement, and even wondered if Apple itself might release info about iOS in the Car that Honda would piggyback upon. Instead, all I see is an auto company trying to copy iOS (from 5 years ago). Based on Honda's track record getting Siri Eyes Free into the 2013 Accord, I have no faith that this UI will be worth my time or subject to any updates after the next model year is released. There's nothing here that I don't already have in my 2007 Civic that I cobbled together with a male-to-male headphone cable and a $20 lighter-USB bracket arm.

Big disappointment.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
For a moment there, I thought Honda just announced "iOS in the Car" that was introduced with iOS 7. But these are just a collection of mediocre apps in the similar vein as Toyota's Entune.

To be fair, Honda's integration and UI seem nicer than Toyota, but that isn't saying much considering just horrible Entune is.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
They did it right.

I've seen several posts stating full iOS integrations with Apple UI and such is a better idea. Maybe down the road, but definitely not right now. Actually not ever, but that is more of a personal preference than a statement against iOS.

This is Honda dipping their toe in the water to see if it's cold. If this gets cocked up, it's Honda's baby. If it's full iOS out of the gate and things don't go as planned then Apple takes the brunt of the criticism. Let it mature. Apple is not known for jumping off a cliff. Why would you want them to jump off this one?

Why I think it's a bad idea to tie mass market cars to one specific mobile choice:

Mass market. If you are tied to Android, iOS, or any one ecosystem you limit your appeal to the rest of the mass market. Make no mistake, Honda wants to sell cars not devices. Better would be an underlying architecture that could "speak" to whatever mobile brand the potential owner favors. Whether it's through a cross-platform app or some other means, mass market car makers should want to reach as many potential buyers as possible. In no way am I suggesting the infotainment system will be the sole nexus of the sales transaction. What I am suggesting is when choosing among a few cars certain things are +'s and -'s. Does the infotainment integrate with my phone could be one. If all else is equal, Honda or any car maker would not want the guy with the Nokia Lumia to go buy a Toyota because Toyota's work with all brands. <- Just an example.

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
Bare fingers required?

They didn't say whether or not the touchscreen will work with gloved fingers. Hard to believe that it wouldn't, but then if it does what's the technology and how well will it work compared to current iOS screens?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Only Honda has control of the apps that can be shown on your dash screen, so they're basically using this to sell you the privilege of displaying maps on that screen for $60.

That's something iOS in the car would have done for free, and probably with a much better UI.

It seems like they're competing with iOS in the car instead of adopting it. This is very disappointing news from a consumer perspective.

Absolutely. I would just wait for the 5+ inches iphone6 then use that mounted on something before I spend 60 bucks on a Honda map app.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
What would be nice is if Apple and Google and Microsoft got together (yeah, right :rolleyes:) and came up with an in-car hardware specification. As far as I'm concerned your phone should run the whole thing, so you're basically talking about just a screen and a series of controls (buttons, dials, whatever). Come up with 2-4 standard configurations, similar to how the Apple MFi spec works for game controllers. Manufactures have a few options for the level of support they want, and can customize the controls any way they want as long as they comply with the spec.

Then, the phone companies handle the software side, completely. Apple, Google, and Microsoft each come up with their own in-dash UI (assuming they want to). Then, everyone who drives gets their phone's custom experience with access to all their data.

The car manufacturers could even still produce their own in-dash systems as a base system, but if you plug a phone in, basically override all of it and drive the screen from the phone. Then Apple, etc. should allow them to write apps which can access car-specific things like engine monitoring, backup cameras, etc.

Because right now I feel like they are daring us to take a saw to the dash and just mount an iPad in there.

Wzrd0715

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
College Station, TX
Wife's Civic is 12 years old with > 100K miles and still runs great. Thing has literally never had one problem, just regular maintenance stuff.
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 150,000 miles on it and I have never had any major problems. I've driven dodge trucks majority of my life and I must admit Honda is taking the cake for me in vehicle satisfaction. Hopefully I can find a way to get my hands on one of these and rig it up to my truck. I'm keeping this baby until it won't run any more.

All hail Honda and Apple's iOS integration. :)

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
who buys a honda anyways lol

People who are tired of ****** GMs, mostly.

people who want a dependable car

In the list of top 10 best selling cars in the US, Toyota Camery is #1, but Honda Accord and Civic are #2 and #3, respectively

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2013/01/usa-best-selling-cars-2012-year-end.html

Honda's influence on the entire automotive industry is too big, they definitely deserve a lot of respect.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Auto makers designing touchscreen UIs makes about as much sense as Apple and Samsung building car engines. Give us real "iOS in the car" and give it to us now!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Only 7"?

How very lame. They should try 17":

11x0104ub53rt.jpg

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Only Apple technologies can forge such innovative and strategic relationships with forward-thinking partners. I'm very excited to see what else is in store for the future.

ToothTooth

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
SIXTY dollars for a navigation app? WHAT?!

The reason the navigation app costs $60 is because it will contain local storage of national maps that can be used offline. Local map storage is very important for when you drive through areas where a data connection is unavailable. How are you going to use your precious free, free, free Apple Maps or Google Maps when you don't have a data connection? Two choices: Pull out the old Atlas or get lost in the boondocks.

The price of $60 is very competitive with what offline navigation apps cost. Navigon, Garmin, and TomTom all cost about that much.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I can't wait for more car manufacturers to start including IOS in their cars. I've saying it for years that IOS in the car will be the next big thing for car entertainment.

In my opinion the only car manufacture that is doing anything exciting with their system is BMW. All the others seem to be v dated or bad copies of the BMW Idrive system.

I hope the IOS for cars can also go just beyond entertainment and incorporate vehicle stats like MPG, fault checking and booking for servicing etc

Also agree it would be great if they sell 3rd party devices as well so we don't have to go out and buy a new car.

katorga

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Ban screens in cars

At a minimum you have to look at the screen to use a touch screen due to the lack of tactile feedback. At worst, the screen actively attracts your attention from the road. A backlit screen creates light in the cabin impairing night vision.
If you can't have a transparent head up display then vehicles should have old school controls that can manipulated by feel, feedback and sound and NOT eye sight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.