Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
You want full iOS in a CAR?

This is such a slippery slope it is unreal.

I see more and more people getting distracted by device entitlement on the road every day…it is just sickening. My wife and I took a road trip to see relatives in Ca for the holidays. While on the way back in traffic, I saw a guy in his car watching a movie on his dashboard mounted iPhone while driving, that should have landed him in jail, just like texting should.

So I am working hard with a friend at the DC office of the DOT to fight a lot of what you are asking for which is more i-access while driving. Your number one job when you get in your car with your driving PRIVALEGE is to operate your motor vehicle safely and that includes keep your eyes on the road, PERIOD!!!

I understand navigation, a good built in system actually makes the road safer as one is less likely distracted by trying to fiddle with things like maps, gestures on phones and iPads, etc. What is missing from most nav systems is the speed limit on the road traveled. Often when one is unfamiliar with an area and something like a semi blocks the speed limit sign, then you can be out of luck miles until the next post. So this should be part of nav info. Also what should be part of nav info is a low opacity weather overlay.

One of my cars is a 2012 Audi S4, a great safe car for where we live in snow country and the nav system in it is outstanding, it is part of the MMI and even with it being super easy to use and still keep eyes on the road, it is still distracting. I am pushing for Audi to make a separate dimmer for it, include speed limits and weather. Another example of what I am pushing for them to do is make the digital readout of the speed traveled color coded so that if I am not using cruise control, I don’t have to keep looking down to see if my speed has creeped up way above the speed limit ( easy to do in an S4 ). We are already pre-programmed to react to color in our peripheral vision so if I start to see the speed go from white to orange or even red in my peripheral vision, I can keep my eyes on the road more and be safer.

A lot of you, Apple, car makers, they are all missing the point here. They are buying into the hype that the consumer is asking for even more distracting features in their cars and are working to give it to you when they should be figuring out how to distract you less while giving you what you need, not what you want.

The roads are getting more and more dangerous everyday because people can not get off the damn phone and the LAST thing we need is for you to be able to access more distracting phone or iPad features, potentially endangering others.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Only 7"?

How very lame. They should try 17":

I rode and drove my coworker's Tesla many times and while it is a fantastic car to drive, the user interface has lots of kinks. And touch based UI is one of them. Just because it looks cool on photos and video, doesn't mean it's all that usable.

While many are poopooing traditional automakers for making old fashioned user interface, the thing is, they are often far easier to use WHILE you drive. While they are overcharging for navigation that essentially amounts to (1) nicer and larger antiglare LCD (vs. iPhone and many portable navigation), (2) tighter integration with the car, and (3) few additional perks that come with the navigation package (e.g., my car bundles nicer navigation system with head-up display, better speakers, and moonroof), they are still often more accessible WHILE driving.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
I just want it to treat an iPhone like an iPhone. It acts like it's a standard AAC player... like as if I would use a Zune? And Siri sometimes won't work right. And yes, Siri is a lot safer than using the Honda's music selection wheel to choose a song, though Honda's controls are really good (better than Range Rover for sure!).

wolfenkraft

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
This sucks so much. I have a 2013 Civic EX-L and the bluetooth integration doesn't work properly. Honda claims it's Apple's fault and they need to patch the BT in the phones... Then they do this? Come on.....

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
You want full iOS in a CAR?

This is such a slippery slope it is unreal.

I understand navigation, a good built in system actually makes the road safer as one is less likely distracted by trying to fiddle with things like maps, gestures on phones and iPads, etc.

One of my cars is a 2012 Audi S4, a great safe car for where we live in snow country and the nav system in it is outstanding, it is part of the MMI and even with it being super easy to use and still keep eyes on the road, it is still distracting.

Wow, talk about missing your own point.

People want iOS in the car because car companies can't do user interfaces. There isn't a single car company that cares or puts effort into making a useful, non-distracting interface. That's why they want to use Apple's UI.

FlunkedFlank

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I feel like most people in this thread never read the articles about the details of iOS in the car. The car wouldn't ship with iOS in any way. All it means is that the car provides a touchscreen LCD that can be controlled by the iOS device, akin to an external monitor with a laptop machine. iOS would then be able to display a *special* ui version of *some limited apps* on that screen, maps and music for starters. The special ui would be driver friendly. Thus, no arbitrary phone crap on it, no distracted drivers, and yet all software is controlled by the phone so no dependence on software upgrades from the auto manufacturers. I see no reason why an iOS in the car ready LCD couldn't *also* support an android protocol for controlling the screen. So there's no reason it has to be locked in to apple.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I'm waiting until later next year to pass judgement on iOS in the car.

This particular announcement was definitely a disappointment.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I went from being an ardent Google fan, to refusing to use any of their services because I hate them as a company, but I will say it looks like their MO is to simply do everything Apple does, only bigger and better.

That said, the last thing I want is more computers in my life. When it's time to replace my car, I think I'll spend the $50k restoring something beautiful and simple and mechanical and made of metal instead. Probably from the 1930s through the 1960s, when cars were designed to be cars.

I can feel my interest in (or rather patience with) disposable electronic distractions approaching its end.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
How is this proclaiming safety ?

No eyes on the road, looking down at the touchscreen, while you crash...

People do this already with listening sending text while they dive because they can't use hands-free.

As bad as all this may sound, i would actually welcome self driving cars...

(Rather than maximize the problem which we're doing with touchscreen's when were supposed to be looking elsewhere, we may as well go along with the it.

Change the laws, bring in Google's self-driving cars, so people can be as happy as they are already not even caring about "eyes on the road".

Because they don't do this anyway.

If you can't beat em..... join them. :)

The only thing is technology must be right 100% of the time, which will never be possible... (yet) ..... and the "scary factor" of driving with no hands, but once we get over that and out blood pressure goes down, it may be a good idea after all.

Or, iOS would turn out like this :- http://dotsub.com/view/6c5d7514-5656-476a-9504-07dd4e2f6509

Last edited:

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Even at $60, if it updates for free it's cheap compared to what I pay for updates. I have a '09 Acura and they want $149 for a new navigation dvd every year. (Not that I buy them).

I just want to plug in my phone and have it mirror onto the screen in the car. How hard can that be?

This device does the trick for my car but its $350.

http://www.navtool.com/acuraTSX_09-10.aspx

Last edited:

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
California
****ing ridiculous. wasn't the whole point to replace the ****** software normally integrated into cars with something designed by Apple? wasn't it sold as your iPhone sort of taking over your car's screen?

this looks like the same old ******** interface I'VE ALREADY GOT in my CR-V

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
SIXTY dollars for a navigation app? WHAT?!

It beats the $2,500 Honda wanted for navigation when we bought our Pilot. :eek: It still boggles my mind that people pay that kind of money to have Nav in their car.

What I really need (want) is a dumb screen that lets me AirPlay the nav (be it Google, Apple, whatever), audio, etc. While you're at it, let me multitask and AirPlay movies to the screen in the back for the kiddos. :)

QWERTYMac7

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2012
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 150,000 miles on it and I have never had any major problems. I've driven dodge trucks majority of my life and I must admit Honda is taking the cake for me in vehicle satisfaction. Hopefully I can find a way to get my hands on one of these and rig it up to my truck. I'm keeping this baby until it won't run any more.

All hail Honda and Apple's iOS integration. :)

I agree with you - My Ridgeline only has 93,000 miles so far. Truly a wonderful vehicle.

It's 6 below zero (Fahrenheit) right now and I have about 60 miles of errands to run. I would NEVER trust my life in inclement weather to another brand of automobile.

Hope to see you in a new 2017 Ridgeline someday!

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
So, in the future, when the latest OS isn't supported, will people decide it's time to buy a new car?

head units are swappable. i use the Pioneer AppRadio that does everything this announcement does...its just an external touchscreen display, which iOS supports (including tap events).

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I guess building my iPad in the car was still te best option to have 'iOS in the car' Image

Except you blocked the air vents. :(

----------

The reason the navigation app costs $60 is because it will contain local storage of national maps that can be used offline. Local map storage is very important for when you drive through areas where a data connection is unavailable. How are you going to use your precious free, free, free Apple Maps or Google Maps when you don't have a data connection? Two choices: Pull out the old Atlas or get lost in the boondocks.

The price of $60 is very competitive with what offline navigation apps cost. Navigon, Garmin, and TomTom all cost about that much.

Mine uses GPS not data.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
I would immediately fire whoever came up with that name.

Anyway, this looks kind of cool (especially since my wife may be due for a new Civic next year), but it still seems like kind of a confusing system/interface. I wish Apple would make their own standard car UI instead of letting the car manufacturers do it ham-handedly and then trying to awkwardly integrate iOS with it.

I've heard that the Tesla Model S display UI is quite the horror show. Like Windows 95, supposedly. As I was commuting north on highway 101 from Silicon Valley last night, I did see a Model S and I looked in. There are two displays, they're huge, and the centrally located display was showing something that looked, to me, like a cross between Sim City and Frogger. And the displays were big, bright, and probably highly distracting at night. Bad design.

KaijinGaijin

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2014
Updates or hacks for older models?

Does anyone know if it's possible to update the 2014 systems? Why not, except to sell cars. I just bought a 2014 oddy and as happy as I am, it'd be great to at least have Siri or text messages read or displayed. It seems an optional USB stick update would suffice for users tech savvy enough, or go to the dealer and have it done.
Agreed on the Airplay mirroring as well...good point. Just mirror my apple maps up there on the big 7 inch...be nice to see a hack for this.
People root and hack firmware for everything. I can get a lot more functionality out of my cameras than the manufacturers provide. Is there not anywhere people are doing this for the car based systems?
In my old car I'd rigged up an ipad mount, homemade for about 4 dollars with leftover triopod parts and plexiglass. It basically imitated the Tesla and allowed me to flip an articulated lever to swap orientation on a 4g ipad displaying maps. Did the trick. Now I have a fancy new oddy with their big news that was integrating all this new tech with built in Pandora etc...and they make it obsolete within months....just let me update! It's tech.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Does anyone know if it's possible to update the 2014 systems? Why not, except to sell cars. I just bought a 2014 oddy and as happy as I am, it'd be great to at least have Siri or text messages read or displayed. It seems an optional USB stick update would suffice for users tech savvy enough, or go to the dealer and have it done.
Agreed on the Airplay mirroring as well...good point. Just mirror my apple maps up there on the big 7 inch...be nice to see a hack for this.
People root and hack firmware for everything. I can get a lot more functionality out of my cameras than the manufacturers provide. Is there not anywhere people are doing this for the car based systems?
In my old car I'd rigged up an ipad mount, homemade for about 4 dollars with leftover triopod parts and plexiglass. It basically imitated the Tesla and allowed me to flip an articulated lever to swap orientation on a 4g ipad displaying maps. Did the trick. Now I have a fancy new oddy with their big news that was integrating all this new tech with built in Pandora etc...and they make it obsolete within months....just let me update! It's tech.

Just buy a new one. Give Honda executive a big bonus :)

Bad time for techies to buy cars. Right on the cusp of nice integrated systems.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Best solution for me is still just an amplified Speaker system that connects to an Android or iOS device via BT. As long as I have my phones, I have a WIFI hotspot, Navigation, apps, & entertainment along with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.