Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Well first off, that's awesome that 8GB does in fact work :D But I would imagine that it would definitely be hotter, considering that you're running RAM that is higher frequency than specified, and it's more RAM than it's technically supposed to be. If I were you, I would run smcfancontrol to try to keep it cool :p

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Already did it :p the real solution is to use an spd editor to change the max frequency of one of the ram sticks, but the only program that is compatible with my macbook costs money:(

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Already did it :p the real solution is to use an spd editor to change the max frequency of one of the ram sticks, but the only program that is compatible with my macbook costs money:(

Wow I didn't even know you could do that! Well, I guess you'll probably have to shell out the money for it so you don't cook your MB within a year haha

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I wouldn't even worry about the higher temps that you mentioned. Mine idles around 50-55C normally, and it's the aluminum one which takes heat away from components better. My HDD normally hangs around 35-38C though. 40 is pretty darn cool even for idle

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
I happened purchased the same 8gb 1333mHz as you did for my macbook6-1, I haven't install it yet, but I'm sure I'm going to have the same high temp as you experienced. Could you tell me how you finally solved the problem by re-programming it? Thanks a lot in advance.

The spd modding process is a very risky one. Unless you know your way around linux command line, and you know how to work on pipes (redirect stdin and stdout to-from files) I would simply return the ram for the correct one. And unless your ram is exactly the same as mine (spd must be the same) you can't simply flash my spd, as it could brick your ram.

edit: one program to see the temperatures is the istat pro widget

Last edited:

ticeberg411

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
The spd modding process is a very risky one. Unless you know your way around linux command line, and you know how to work on pipes (redirect stdin and stdout to-from files) I would simply return the ram for the correct one. And unless your ram is exactly the same as mine (spd must be the same) you can't simply flash my spd, as it could brick your ram.

edit: one program to see the temperatures is the istat pro widget

I think I'm going to download the smcfancontrol too. But thanks for the explanation.:)

Nago

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
Madrid, Spain
What do you guys think about crucial ram. I'm thinking of getting the 2x4GB 1067MHz and wondering if it will produce too much heat like the one he's experiencing with corsair.

Here's what I'm planning to get, (http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT2KIT51264BC1067). If you guys have any ideas about this module for my Macbook 6,1 (late 2009) pls let me know. THANKS guys.

Careful, look at what this guy is going through with this same upgrade:

what happened to your 8gb upgrade? i just did mine with corsair (2 x 4Gb), first it was booting well until i tried opening a youtube video it hanged and after that is just gave me errors.

i returned & exchanged the corsair for kingston but same thing happened. anybody experienced this before?

Thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13402912

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
Is your Bootrom version MB61.00C8.B00?

So I got 8GB in my macbook:D it works fine no crashes so far:p but now my macbook idles at 54ºC before it would idle at 40ºC anyone experience this?

btw the part no is cms04gx3m1a133 so the seller sold me an 1333MHz ram instead of a 1066MHz but the mac recognized it as 1333MHz

Big Screenshot:
http://i38.tinypic.com/33y2er5.png
Hi!

Is your BootRom version MB61.00C8.B00 or MB61.00C8.B02?
You can check it in the system information.
It seems that only those with version MB61.00C8.B00 can use the 1333Mhz RAMs. And I have a MB61.00C8.B00 one so I want to confirm this.
Please help! Thanks!

Last edited:

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Hi!

Is your BootRom version MB61.00C8.B00 or MB61.00C8.B02?
You can check it in the system information.
It seems that only those with version MB61.00C8.B00 can use the 1333Mhz RAMs. And I have a MB61.00C8.B00 one so I want to confirm this.
Please help! Thanks!

The MacBook battery got swollen and the lcd is broken so I no longer use it, I don't really remember the boot rom version..

Check this http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/95061/is-there-a-firmware-upgrade-for-the-macbook6-1-from-mb61-00c8-b00-to-b02.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.