Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
First it started with manuals at work, at first I disliked electronic pdf manuals, but then I discovered the search function! :D

I used to really enjoy the mechanics of holding a book and flipping the pages, but as my eyesight has deteriorated over the years and the tendency in some paper backs to have itty-bitty type, I have discovered the joy of reading books on my iPad. Now when I look at a brick of a book, although I do appreciated the cover art, the thought of holding this brick while reading now turns me off. The last paperback I started to read, I ended up replacing it with an ebook version. Imagine that? ;) The sad thing is that I can longer expect to reap great savings at the used book store. Suck, err such is technology and DRM... :(

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I became an e-book convert when I got my first Kindle back in January 2010. Long battery life, search, built in dictionary, the ability to carry around hundreds of books, etc are just some if the reasons I buy only e-books now.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I like the fact that you can have thousands of books stored on a hard drive and be accessible from any device - ex. Amazon kindle app. I can start reading on my iPad, and continue reading on my iPhone if I have some free time on the go. I also cant stand the smell of old books, it irritates my nose.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Anyone here know if the kindle has some sort of read it later service like the kobo?

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I never thought I would love ebooks as much as real books either, especially as I love everything about real books including the new book smell and the old vanilla-sweet book smell, the bookstores, the catalogs, new discoveries & the thrill of the hunt. Then I got an iPod touch and the Stanza app 4 years ago and discovered how terrific it is to read ebooks while having to do a lot of sitting & waiting around. I'm slowly replacing my favorite books with ebooks now. The notes & highlight features are great too, besides the search function. I never liked messing up real books.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just went to buy a book and discovered that Apple (iBook), Amazon (Kindle), and Barnes and Noble (Nook) list identical prices for Caliban's War, book 2 of The Expanse series. The Paperback is $10.11 and the eBook is $9.99. It's a conspiracy... Thinking that $10 to read a paperback is overpriced, not to mention price fixing. :(

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I can't entirely convert because I read a lot of linguistics texts, and all the tables, diagrams, and funky letters often don't display well in eBook format.

Also, eBooks are expensive and I find used books for much cheaper often. Not always, but often.

Reactions: Huntn

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Just went to buy a book and discovered that Apple (iBook), Amazon (Kindle), and Barnes and Noble (Nook) list identical prices for Caliban's War, book 2 of The Expanse series. The Paperback is $10.11 and the eBook is $9.99. It's a conspiracy... Thinking that $10 to read a paperback is overpriced, not to mention price fixing. :(
Yes indeed!

A voracious reader, I too have noticed the continual increase in ebook prices. While I'm not about to let it dampen my compelling desire for more, it certainly illustrates a strong ongoing demand. One that I imagine will only grow stronger.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I can't entirely convert because I read a lot of linguistics texts, and all the tables, diagrams, and funky letters often don't display well in eBook format.

Also, eBooks are expensive and I find used books for much cheaper often. Not always, but often.

I was a strong advocate of thriftbooks.com, great cheap reads, until I could no longer comfortably read teeny weeny text, and besides I like the search function of ebooks.
[doublepost=1463336681][/doublepost]
Yes indeed!

A voracious reader, I too have noticed the continual increase in ebook prices. While I'm not about to let it dampen my compelling desire for more, it certainly illustrates a strong ongoing demand. One that I imagine will only grow stronger.

Logic says an eBook should be a couple of dollars less for a paperback, as printing is 85% of the physical cost of producing a book (I assume) vs an eBook, but I guess marketing/authors have decided they deserve a windfall. :confused:

Reactions: maxsix

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Has anyone found any good sites for buying non-DRM eBooks? Preferably ePub, but other formats will also do (Praise Calibre).

I know i can remove the DRM from most eBooks using Calibre, but I prefer supporting retailers that don't include DRM in the first place.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Has anyone found any good sites for buying non-DRM eBooks? Preferably ePub, but other formats will also do (Praise Calibre).

I know i can remove the DRM from most eBooks using Calibre, but I prefer supporting retailers that don't include DRM in the first place.

An appropriate question what would happen in the event a marketer goes out of business? What happens to you library of purchased books? As far as sharing books, someone like Apple allows limited sharing. Don't take as a defense of DRM, just a pragmatic view.
[doublepost=1463337757][/doublepost]
O'Reilly, Manning, Apress, Packt

O'Reilly? The Fox News O'Reilly?? Is this humor? :p

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Several years ago I thought I'd be switching over to eBooks but I've yet to make the change as I've found it's often much cheaper to buy used paperbacks from amazon

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yep, the eyes are the second thing to go :D.

I will re-read series so it's great being able to store everything rather than fill the house with bookshelves.

it's gotten to the point with some magazines, it's the only way to read them (e version) without a magnifying glass, and my vision is not that horrible. Mostly I use 2.50 cheaters to read.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.