Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Is the iPhone 4S still worth getting if I could get it for $190?

So here is my story. I had the iPhone 5 for almost a year. I started to use my android phones again, so I stop using my iPhone 5. I really wanted to get an iPad rmini. If I traded my iPhone 5 and HTC One I could pay for the rmini, so I did it. Now I am using a nexus 5, and I still love my N5 I just want to have an iOS device for every now and again. $190 does not seem to bad, but I wanted to see what you guys think.

Shift Option K

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
16GB is good. Just don't ever touch the 8GB, it's useless imo because of how little storage it has.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Thanks for all the help. I got the 4S, and it was great, but yesterday traded that in for $200 credit at Att and got an iPhone 5S. Could not be happier. Love this phone.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Do you ever stop and enjoy what you have?

Why must you criticize the things he does? I'm the same way and often change my phone every few months. Why is that a problem? And by the way, I do enjoy what I have. I'll never understand why people don't realize that not everyone is the same. Different strokes for different folks.

Now, to answer the OP: yes, that's a good deal for a 4S which is still a very good phone.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Why must you criticize the things he does? I'm the same way and often change my phone every few months. Why is that a problem? And by the way, I do enjoy what I have. I'll never understand why people don't realize that not everyone is the same. Different strokes for different folks.

Now, to answer the OP: yes, that's a good deal for a 4S which is still a very good phone.

I don't think changing a phone every few months is "healthy". If everyone was doing that you know how much waste there would be? It's not a problem if you don't see consequences but if you do and realise that there is more and more generation that produce way more waste than before and things are built just to be replaced few months later down the line then you may want to rethink that statement.
Maybe I was raised differently than you or maybe you just like spoiling yourself so often but to me I think its overindulgence. There are other things we should be focused on that would not help just you and me but everyone. The shame these days is that everyone is self centred and thats why there is so much crap going on.

2OP: congrats to your new phone. I'm still stuck on iPhone 4 but will replace it with iPhone 6 once is out as the iOS 7 is not really a software for 4 as the phone can't keep up anymore.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
I'd have done the same thing myself. Have had a 64GB 5S since launch day and, coming from the 4S that I'd had for 2 years prior, I could not be happier with it either.

Ok the ONE exception/reservation I have for the 5/5S design coming from the 4/4S is the headphone jack being at the bottom. For the life of me I cannot fathom WHY they decided to put it there but it was not a deal breaker and I am enjoying my 5S.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
iPhone 4S

I don't think changing a phone every few months is "healthy". If everyone was doing that you know how much waste there would be? It's not a problem if you don't see consequences but if you do and realise that there is more and more generation that produce way more waste than before and things are built just to be replaced few months later down the line then you may want to rethink that statement.

Maybe I was raised differently than you or maybe you just like spoiling yourself so often but to me I think its overindulgence. There are other things we should be focused on that would not help just you and me but everyone. The shame these days is that everyone is self centred and thats why there is so much crap going on.

2OP: congrats to your new phone. I'm still stuck on iPhone 4 but will replace it with iPhone 6 once is out as the iOS 7 is not really a software for 4 as the phone can't keep up anymore.

I am really not sure why you care what I do, and how many phones I have. I had the iPhone 5 and enjoyed it. I got a bit tired of it, so I tried android for a while. I had an old iPad 2 that I wanted to upgrade, and was waiting on the rmini to come out before I upgraded. I did not want to spend a lot of money on it, so I traded in my iPhone 5. I did hate losing my iPhone, but it was a good trade since I love the rmini.

I decide about a month ago I wanted to go back to iOS so I could get in cheap by getting the iPhone 4S. I got the phone, and since I am a tech guy the just slightly slower processor on the 4S was just a bit slow for me. I wanted a newer iOS device, and got $200 for a trade to Att and went for the iPhone 5S. I really don't see why someone cares what I do. I enjoy trying out new stuff, and I am pretty it does not hurts anyone. Sorry if this bothers you, but I am having fun.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
. I had the iPhone 5 and enjoyed it. I got a bit tired of it, so I tried android for a while.
There is the issue but don't worry. I see that its pointless to try to explain why that thinking is simply "wrong". I was raised differently and I'm glad for that. Trying new $700 devices just cause the one I have got me tired is something I was never fan of.
Sure, loads of people will say its ok but I hope there will be some that say that its not.
Let's not go there as you will only prove what C.K. Louise once said about "everything is amazing....."

Look it up on youtube if you are curious.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
There is the issue but don't worry. I see that its pointless to try to explain why that thinking is simply "wrong". I was raised differently and I'm glad for that. Trying new $700 devices just cause the one I have got me tired is something I was never fan of.

Sure, loads of people will say its ok but I hope there will be some that say that its not.

Let's not go there as you will only prove what C.K. Louise once said about "everything is amazing....."

If you could tell how this is hurting someone then maybe I would understand. Sure I could do something better with my time. Money wise I am trading stuff, so I really don't spend that much. I am sure I could find things you spend your money that I find stupid, but I really could careless. You spend your time and money the way you see fit. I will do the same, and say nothing about how you spend money.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
If you could tell how this is hurting someone then maybe I would understand. Sure I could do something better with my time. Money wise I am trading stuff, so I really don't spend that much. I am sure I could find things you spend your money that I find stupid, but I really could careless. You spend your time and money the way you see fit. I will do the same, and say nothing about how you spend money.

Well this is to do with the law of allowance. Allowing others to live their life as they see fit. While I wouldn't spend my time this way, it doesn't mean it's wrong for others to do so. However you want to live your life is fine and should be fine with everyone else.

Back on topic. I think the 4S is still the best phone they have made but the 5's size is better for everyday usage. If the 4S isn't a main device it can be fine.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Well this is to do with the law of allowance. Allowing others to live their life as they see fit. While I wouldn't spend my time this way, it doesn't mean it's wrong for others to do so. However you want to live your life is fine and should be fine with everyone else.

Back on topic. I think the 4S is still the best phone they have made but the 5's size is better for everyday usage. If the 4S isn't a main device it can be fine.

You are right with the allowance but wouldn't you say that maybe in the bigger picture there are consequences to everything?
There are parts of the world that people don't have food to eat and in another part people overeat. There are parts where there is no clean water and other parts where washing a car with running water instead of a bucket is a norm. Companies push limits and move manufacturing to cheaper countries where people must suffer in order for you to enjoy a gadget that you get 'tired' after just few months. Those are the consequences.
Macrumors has constant news about these labour violation and even though Apple is improving them its still happening and lets not involve other companies. That was my original point.
In a short vision there is nothing wrong with "wasting" money that way. In a bigger picture, there must be sacrifices so that others can have this indulgences.
I'm not saying I'm completely against buying new stuff I'm just saying that I would prefer to see a bit more reasonable time frame between the purchases. I'm not sure if my opinion could be met with understanding but after seeing few things with my own eyes I prefer to be bit more grateful with what i have and less lusting over the new stuff because if we are honest, most of the times its the "WANT" inside us that buy things rather than the "NEED" part.

One thing you could ask yourself. If you travelled in africa to help developing little huts etc. and talk to those little kids and they asked you how you live your life and realise that they do not understand the concept that you can turn on a tap and you have running clean water - Would that change your opinion about certain things?

I know its a heavy subject but the other guy started it so I only tried to show the other side of consideration.

We all know that everything is made in China for few reasons. It's cheap there but its also the exploitation of the workers that allow it to be so cheap. Its up to each of us to consider what the "allowance" you mentioned is but to me, a new phone every few months is overindulgence I don't side with and won't allow my kids either.

Now, you will disagree but i really don't wanna argue. I just wanted you to think about it for a while. nothing more and nothing less. You can ignore me if you want but i don't mean to provoke you just for the sake of it :)
Hope we are still on good terms
Thank you

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
You are right with the allowance but wouldn't you say that maybe in the bigger picture there are consequences to everything?

There are parts of the world that people don't have food to eat and in another part people overeat. There are parts where there is no clean water and other parts where washing a car with running water instead of a bucket is a norm. Companies push limits and move manufacturing to cheaper countries where people must suffer in order for you to enjoy a gadget that you get 'tired' after just few months. Those are the consequences.

Macrumors has constant news about these labour violation and even though Apple is improving them its still happening and lets not involve other companies. That was my original point.

In a short vision there is nothing wrong with "wasting" money that way. In a bigger picture, there must be sacrifices so that others can have this indulgences.

I'm not saying I'm completely against buying new stuff I'm just saying that I would prefer to see a bit more reasonable time frame between the purchases. I'm not sure if my opinion could be met with understanding but after seeing few things with my own eyes I prefer to be bit more grateful with what i have and less lusting over the new stuff because if we are honest, most of the times its the "WANT" inside us that buy things rather than the "NEED" part.

One thing you could ask yourself. If you travelled in africa to help developing little huts etc. and talk to those little kids and they asked you how you live your life and realise that they do not understand the concept that you can turn on a tap and you have running clean water - Would that change your opinion about certain things?

I know its a heavy subject but the other guy started it so I only tried to show the other side of consideration.

We all know that everything is made in China for few reasons. It's cheap there but its also the exploitation of the workers that allow it to be so cheap. Its up to each of us to consider what the "allowance" you mentioned is but to me, a new phone every few months is overindulgence I don't side with and won't allow my kids either.

Now, you will disagree but i really don't wanna argue. I just wanted you to think about it for a while. nothing more and nothing less. You can ignore me if you want but i don't mean to provoke you just for the sake of it :)

Thank you

I want disagree with you at all on any of those things. We are not doing our jobs helping others in need. For most it does not even cross their minds. I do understand what you are saying, and I agree.

I agree I to an extend are spending money on things I want not need. I don't need a smartphone at all. I don't need a tablet, and I don't need much of any of the entertainment I have. I see your point, and agree as a nation, and more specially people on this forum should be more concerned.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Don't get the iPhone 4S it's running out. Of iOS updates the iPhone 4S. May have one more ios update wish would be IOS 8 then it's done. I would get the iPhone 5C it will be cheaper and you will love the color the new iPhone 5C comes in All so I would holde off on getting the iPhone 5S in tell the bugs are worked out

I got my iPhone 5C this past Friday. And I love it it a big upgade over my iPhone 4S. That I had since. Moving In two a aptment wish was in 2011

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006

If he can afford to do it then what should we care? Works well for me because this type sells on their old gear (to me at a discounted price). My 3 Apple devices are:
1) A 15" i7 MBP (pretty well brand new) that I bought from an international student. He delivered it in a brand nee BMW and sold it to me for ~$700. Am I jealous he has more money than me... sure. Do I care when he's selling me cool gear? Not at all, he's my hero!
2) A Mac Mini... same guy as above (has 10+ brand new computers in his dorm... all purchased by his parents, definitely not stolen). After 6 months he sold me a maxed out i7 Mini with dual SSDs for ~$400. Again... jealous that he has every cool device in the planet and constantly upgrades when new stuff comes out. BUT he sells it at 2nd hand prices and I'm happy to use his 'old' gear if it means a decent discount.
3) An iPhone 4S. Got it free with my phone plan when it was brand new and it's still powering along. The phone plan has now expired and I'm on an el-cheapo plan with my 'free' phone that I enjoy. I'm an IT professional and have no problems with the speed/features of the phone. YMMV... my only demand is for more battery life as I miss the good old Nokia days where a phone would last for a week on a single charge. Again YMMV... I'm a software engineer and find the 4S to be more than adequate. Others don't...

---

No I'm not a fan of being wasteful but 2nd hand gear doesn't go to waste! Apple gear tends to last so I'm happy buying it 2nd hand because it's expensive gear.

Yes I'm jealous that others can afford more gadgets than me, but so what? It not only doesn't hurt me, if BENEFITS me because I can buy the gear in what I call almost new condition at a discounted price. Without them I'd always have to pay full price!

People like us who can make do with 'old' gear are free to use it for as long as we like. My i7 machines will hopefully last ~7 years. I might upgrade my phone once within that period.

Last edited:

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
If he can afford to do it then what should we care? Works well for me because this type sells on their old gear (to me at a discounted price). My 3 Apple devices are:

1) A 15" i7 MBP (pretty well brand new) that I bought from an international student. He delivered it in a brand nee BMW and sold it to me for ~$700. Am I jealous he has more money than me... sure. Do I care when he's selling me cool gear? Not at all, he's my hero!

2) A Mac Mini... same guy as above (has 10+ brand new computers in his dorm... all purchased by his parents, definitely not stolen). After 6 months he sold me a maxed out i7 Mini with dual SSDs for ~$400. Again... jealous that he has every cool device in the planet and constantly upgrades when new stuff comes out. BUT he sells it at 2nd hand prices and I'm happy to use his 'old' gear if it means a decent discount.

3) An iPhone 4S. Got it free with my phone plan when it was brand new and it's still powering along. The phone plan has now expired and I'm on an el-cheapo plan with my 'free' phone that I enjoy. I'm an IT professional and have no problems with the speed/features of the phone. YMMV... my only demand is for more battery life as I miss the good old Nokia days where a phone would last for a week on a single charge. Again YMMV... I'm a software engineer and find the 4S to be more than adequate. Others don't...

---

No I'm not a fan of being wasteful but 2nd hand gear doesn't go to waste! Apple gear tends to last so I'm happy buying it 2nd hand because it's expensive gear.

Yes I'm jealous that others can afford more gadgets than me, but so what? It not only doesn't hurt me, if BENEFITS me because I can buy the gear in what I call almost new condition at a discounted price. Without them I'd always have to pay full price!

People like us who can make do with 'old' gear are free to use it for as long as we like. My i7 machines will hopefully last ~7 years. I might upgrade my phone once within that period.

Yeah i just resale stuff. The iPad rmini I paid $13 for a after trade ins. The iPhone 5S again was about $200 out of pocket. The 2nd hand market can cut cost on new gear, and helps others get gear they would normally not be able to afford. How is that bad?

I am not rich by any means. I just love tech, and have found out ways to use the 2nd hand market to get money for my old tech. I can't remember the last time I paid more that $350 for some new tech. I just don't see the issue in buying and selling tech to buy and sell new tech.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I want disagree with you at all on any of those things. We are not doing our jobs helping others in need. For most it does not even cross their minds. I do understand what you are saying, and I agree.

I agree I to an extend are spending money on things I want not need. I don't need a smartphone at all. I don't need a tablet, and I don't need much of any of the entertainment I have. I see your point, and agree as a nation, and more specially people on this forum should be more concerned.

Very true :)

Anyway, lets hope things will get better :)))

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada

Thank you

I think it's great to say you want to express yourself, in whatever form that is. Allowance is a heavy subject and difficult to grasp. It means that we accept what is going on with ourselves and the world without the intent to change because we know better.

If you want to be someone (e.g. a parent) who doesn't allow their kids to have a new phone every few months, that's your choice and you should be allowed to make such decisions. Conversely, if someone else wants to buy a new phone every month for themselves or their kids they should be allowed to do so. Labels such as over indulgence are fiction and seen as bad or good only by the conditioning we have received.

I have my own opinions on these subjects, and I would never spend aimlessly and consistently on devices. I want to cut down and use only what I need but it's taken me a long time to get there. If someone else is not at that point, and they are not accepted for where they are at, then there is no allowance for where they are in life.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I think it's great to say you want to express yourself, in whatever form that is. Allowance is a heavy subject and difficult to grasp. It means that we accept what is going on with ourselves and the world without the intent to change because we know better.

If you want to be someone (e.g. a parent) who doesn't allow their kids to have a new phone every few months, that's your choice and you should be allowed to make such decisions. Conversely, if someone else wants to buy a new phone every month for themselves or their kids they should be allowed to do so. Labels such as over indulgence are fiction and seen as bad or good only by the conditioning we have received.

I have my own opinions on these subjects, and I would never spend aimlessly and consistently on devices. I want to cut down and use only what I need but it's taken me a long time to get there. If someone else is not at that point, and they are not accepted for where they are at, then there is no allowance for where they are in life.

I mentioned earlier that I agree with this when it only affect you but in most cases it doesn't. Here is another easy example:

Bottled water - people got so used to it to buy it everywhere that they stopped doing what my grandma would do - fill up a container at home and take it with you. These days if you watch any of the documentaries what impact the simple thing as bottled water has on the environment you would be shocked. There is the manufacturing of plastic, gas used to transport it to locations and eventually the plastic is not reused in most cases but chucked away.
Another example is food - you go to your supermarket and buy minced meat (for example) to make a burger at home -> result is almost tasteless. But when you go to a local butcher outside of city that has a farm and you buy meat from him (minced meat again) and make the same burger -> result is amazing and very tasty. Were did it go wrong? Simple, people want more and more and companies try to cut ways how to get it faster and cheaper and as a result food loses nutritions, vitamins etc. etc.
The result of our choices are that the planet is getting worse and worse (tunas are radioactive cause of that incident in japan, most of the fish in the sea is loaded with mercury that is way higher than 50 years ago, oil gets spilled into the sea cause people want to drive car more and more so more oil has to be drilled out and it has to be done faster etc etc etc.
I'm not saying this should be all about global stuff, I'm saying that its not a choice that involves just that person.

20 years ago, you would go to a food store and the food would taste much better. When I get an egg from my food store and then when I get one from y grandpa who still has chickens etc. the taste difference is huge! We are in this together and our choices influence more than just us.

I'm not saying I'm against technology or progress, I'm saying that it would be nicer if things were moving for better without the crazy cost to environments etc. GMO, chemicals etc in our food is not a good thing no matter how one looks at it :)))

I'm not a total party pooper, trust me. I'm just offering another angle to think about.

Ps.: here is one example what the choice of an individual causes (as you see it doesn't impact just that person but everyone)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YEGewENa6E

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I mentioned earlier that I agree with this when it only affect you but in most cases it doesn't. Here is another easy example:

Bottled water - people got so used to it to buy it everywhere that they stopped doing what my grandma would do - fill up a container at home and take it with you. These days if you watch any of the documentaries what impact the simple thing as bottled water has on the environment you would be shocked. There is the manufacturing of plastic, gas used to transport it to locations and eventually the plastic is not reused in most cases but chucked away.
Another example is food - you go to your supermarket and buy minced meat (for example) to make a burger at home -> result is almost tasteless. But when you go to a local butcher outside of city that has a farm and you buy meat from him (minced meat again) and make the same burger -> result is amazing and very tasty. Were did it go wrong? Simple, people want more and more and companies try to cut ways how to get it faster and cheaper and as a result food loses nutritions, vitamins etc. etc.
The result of our choices are that the planet is getting worse and worse (tunas are radioactive cause of that incident in japan, most of the fish in the sea is loaded with mercury that is way higher than 50 years ago, oil gets spilled into the sea cause people want to drive car more and more so more oil has to be drilled out and it has to be done faster etc etc etc.
I'm not saying this should be all about global stuff, I'm saying that its not a choice that involves just that person.

20 years ago, you would go to a food store and the food would taste much better. When I get an egg from my food store and then when I get one from y grandpa who still has chickens etc. the taste difference is huge! We are in this together and our choices influence more than just us.

I'm not saying I'm against technology or progress, I'm saying that it would be nicer if things were moving for better without the crazy cost to environments etc. GMO, chemicals etc in our food is not a good thing no matter how one looks at it :)))

I'm not a total party pooper, trust me. I'm just offering another angle to think about.

Ps.: here is one example what the choice of an individual causes (as you see it doesn't impact just that person but everyone)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YEGewENa6E

I love the bottled water example, this video is my favorite as it gets the emotions going a little more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulkY7mOkdqs.

Allowance has to do with allowing the universe (and people) to do as they will without interference. We think the planet needs to be saved because we are harming it. The planet may exist because it wants to experience humans destroying it after being in existence for billions of years. How can anyone claim to know what the truth is?

It's fine to assert your opinions with whatever valid reason you can come up with, just recognize that asserting or convincing someone else that you are right and they are wrong does leave no room for allowance.

As per your points, there is a reason the world is the way that it is. We have technology to clean up the Earth and no longer pollute it. We have means to feed every hungry mouth in the world. We have the ability to use solar power to fuel all our power needs. Why then is the world not that way? When you can answer that question in one sentence, you will understand and maybe have more allowance - even for people who drive gas guzzling V8's throwing their McDonald's paper bag out the window followed by their Evian bottle shortly after.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008

"live for yourself and don't try to change the world" if I understand your meaning of "allowance" sounds very disheartening. I don't mean that people should try to force their views onto others, but I think taking a critical eye to the big picture and encouraging a respectful discourse to see if we can all make the world a better place is very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.